Parting with CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Adam9, Aug 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Funny how people differ. For me, he last to go would be greatest hits collections and various artists comps. Why? They often contain stuiff that's not available anywhere else, and go out of print rather quickly. They are often the most expensive things on the used market for that reason.

But, the bottom line is having lossless. As far as i'm concerned, if all you have is lossy, you don't have a collection. The sound isn't all there.

2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I had a Samsung TV - utter ****e! Had a crappy phone by them too.

alexpop likes this.
  3. Massproductions

Massproductions Forum Resident

Not getting rid of anything, you'll have to pry them out of my dead hands :p

4. Massproductions

Massproductions Forum Resident

If anyone wants to part with their CDs, send them to me :)

The MEZ and Eric_Generic like this.
  5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

TV? Sony is the only one I’d trust these days, maybe LG. Phones ? Apple.

Man at C&A likes this.
  6. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I ripped all of my 5000 CDs over ten years ago and happily enjoyed them on a succession of iPods and iPhones while they sat, first on many shelves in the bedroom, and later in storage, untouched. A few years ago I decided to shrink them somewhat and removed all of the jewel cases, putting them instead in sleeves with the artwork, but they still sat in storage. I've since found that my original ripping wasn't the best, so I'm in a long-term project to properly rip and tag and apply nice artwork to everything again, but with several thousand CDs and no rush I'm taking my time. My tastes are extremely varied, and when I decide I like an artist of genre, I go all-in, finding every obscure release and pressing I can.

I do wonder what to do with them in the future though. Without the jewel cases there is no easy way to sell or donate them. No one in my family has any interest in them and I've been told that they're going in the dumpster if I don't take care of them before my death. The truly expensive stuff; the MFSL, DCC, and SACD releases are still in their original packaging and could be sold, so maybe I'll focus on selling those off and prepare myself for the inevitable junking of everything else. In 2050, is anyone going to be interested in a complete collection of every Beach Boys CD pressing?

wrappedinsky, Guy E and Eric_Generic like this.
  7. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Sell your CD's and you will regret it.
    They are hard to replace now even though no one seems to want them any more.
    If you have a nice stereo system and a good player, CD's still sound fantastic.
    I sold all my records back in the late 80's (and shouldn't have) and I won't sell my CD's (I'll donate them to our reference library when I'm gone as so many of them are very rare now) (especially my Jazz collection)

vegafleet and Eric_Generic like this.
  8. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

For the more desirable ones, if they originally came in plain jewelcases you could buy some boxes of replacement cases and put them back together. If their value depended on the exact case it came with at the time, then that wouldn't always be a solution, but mostly I'd imagine it would suffice.

EG.

9. johnny 99

There's really a great deal of truth in this sentence based on my experiences with people.

10. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

So clouds can catch on fire? But they make rain.

11. johnny 99

So what if you have the biggest music collection here, it's a collection with Coldplay in it.:winkgrin:

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  12. schnitzerphilip

No. Dead serious. You should be too.

Some 18 year old out there today is discovering Breakfast In America for the first time. If he streams it, Supertramp gets compensated. If he buys it at a used CD store, Supertramp doesn't get a penny. Every year, another 18 year old discovers the likes of Dark Side Of The Moon, Hotel California, Back In Black, etc. etc. robbing those artists of revenue.

There are used CD's out there from 1988 that have changed hands 10 times and that's 10 album sales lost to the artists forever. Multiply that by tens of thousands of releases and millions of copies and you should be able to decipher that used CD's are the enemy of artists and fans who want to see artists compensated for their work.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  13. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Used product is 100% legal. The artist got paid once. They don't get to double-dip. Get over it.

14. johnny 99

Those artists got their compensation once from one sale. They were compensated. I'm to feel guilty if I buy a used CD?
    At $2.99 each now, they're pretty much all I buy!
    ...and Supertramp, Pink Floyd, Eagles and AC/DC aren't exactly hurting theses days.

Get off your high horse.

15. schnitzerphilip

Sell your Candles and you will regret it.
    They are hard to replace now even though those damned electric light bulbs have taken over and no one seems to want them any more.

adm62 likes this.
  16. schnitzerphilip

Coldplay made some terrific albums and to this day they still make relevant, successful pop songs.

17. johnny 99

That's a matter of opinion. "Viva La Vida..." was a good album overall and a step in the right direction for them, but then they wanted to become Maroon 5 and so succeeded.
    They're not relevant. although they may still be popular with a different audience than they once had.
    No one I know likes them since 2011.

18. johnny 99

I use candles at night after I turn out the lights. Play CD's and stream if you must.
    One could do both.

19. schnitzerphilip

I am not questioning the legality of buying used CD's. I am questioning the ethics.

Specifically, the ethics of those who decry "streaming is the enemy of artists!" and then brag about how they bought a copy of Bat Out Of Hell for $1 as if they didn't just rob Meatloaf of a royalty on a $10 sale.

Love your used CD's all you like. But don't speak on the subject of what's "right" for recording artists. Getting paid once in 1989 isn't how older artists expect to be compensated for their legacy works in 1999, 2009, or 2019.

20. johnny 99

Meatloaf doesn't need any more money. Judging by the size of the dude, he's not missing too many meals.

21. johnny 99

If I call up the song "Light My Fire" on a streaming service what am I getting?
    The original slower LP stereo version (original mix)
    The 40th Anniversary remix?
    The mono version that was just re-released?
    The 45 version?
    The 1980's mix from "The Best Of The Doors"...

At least with the CD, you know what you're getting...

Think about it.

j_rocker, Guy E and Adam9 like this.
  22. schnitzerphilip

I'm not on any high horse.

Merely pointing out that there are way too many people who, on the topic of what's financially responsible to artists, talk down to streamers out of the left side of their mouths and brag about used CD's out of their right. Streamers are paying Supertramp for their music every month. Used CD buyers are robbing Supertramp of what is owed to them.

What they were compensated in 1988 by a 40 year old buying a new CD was completely fair. What they are being compensated in 2019 by a 40 year old buying that CD used is zero, nada, nothing. And that's not how the music industry works. And that doesn't make you a good fan. And that isn't right if you care about compensating those who create the music you enjoy.

23. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Double-edge sword here I'm afraid, mate.
    A vast percentage of used-CD buyers
    (which includes new-sealed CDs purchased
    from third-party sellers) are items no longer
    in print and commercially unavailable, which
    unfortunately includes all of those wide DR

AAD masterings which present their music
    in the best sound quality available on com-
    pact disc. In this way, the second-hand
    market promotes high-fidelity content, and
    marked-up collector's pricing can be incen-
    tive for artists to reissue the material again.
    Look at it this way ~ the artist printed one
    CD .. that CD sold at retail and the artist got
    their due compensation. That is all anyone
    expects - for their product to sell, as opposed
    to sitting in a distribution centre collecting
    dust. How ever many times that sold disc
    may change hands is affected by the con-
    tinuing availability of the title on the new
    market. On the one hand, there are those
    of us who almost never buy used CDs, ex-
    cept in case of unavailability new. For what-
    ever personal reasons we may do this, we
    are supporting production ~ something
    that is impossible to do as long as the title
    remains out
    of print.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  24. schnitzerphilip

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. Unlike you, I enjoy Coldplay's early work and I enjoy their current work as well. Listen to their most recently released songs like Atlas, All I Can Think About Is You, and Hypnotized and methinks you'll have a different opinion.

nightstand68 likes this.
  25. johnny 99

Too many people buying used CD's,
    Too many people robbing Supertramp,
    Too many people not streaming "Breakfast In America"
    Even though many people think that album is crap.

(Sorry Paul...)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.