Paul McCartney Flaming Pie Archive Collection Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Jan 2, 2020.

1. jlf

jlf Forum Resident Thread Starter

Splitting off from this general thread now that we have a concrete idea of what’s on the way.

Members have reported elsewhere that a Flaming Pie Archive Collection is on the way with 5CDs and 2DVDs, with a July 24 release date. Let the speculation begin!

From Wogew:
    “According to an internal Universal Music catalogue of upcoming releases, Paul McCartney’s 1997 album «Flaming Pie» is next up to get the archive treatment. Release date is July 24th, and the ltd ed deluxe edition will consist of 5CDs and 2/DVDs.”

<CD/DVD 7 0602508617690 MCCARTNEY PAUL-FLAMING PIE (LTD 5 CD+ 2DVD) 24.07.2020>

So what material can we expect to see?

2. jlf

3. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Unfortunately, I expect that the 5 CDs will only be half full so that the contents of each will be able to fit on vinyl LPs.

4. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

That was the Abbey Road method, in a way, but the 2LP Archive sets have never claimed to contain all musical content of sets with more than 2 CDs. They have no reason to break precedent here, and won't.

5. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

While I'm always excited for any Macca release. I must admit a little disappointment that we aren't getting the Back to the Egg/London Town/79 Tour mega box I have dreamed of.

6. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

As I noted in the other thread, I'm speculating:
    1. remastered Flaming Pie
    2. bonus CD: "In Liverpool," "Tropic Island Hum," "Sweet Home Country Blues," "Soul Boy," "Broomstick," "Cello In The Ruins," "The World Tonight (promo tape version)," "Somedays (promo tape version)," "Young Boy (early version)," the EPK versions, "A Room With A View"
    3. bonus CD: all six episodes of "Oobo Joobu" from the 6 CD singles
    4. bonus CD: the Oobu Joobu promo CD that was released with copies at Best Buy
    5. bonus CD: Rushes (remastered)
    6. video DVD: both promos for "Young Boy," both promos for "The World Tonight," promo for "Little Willow," promo for "Beautiful Night," 'live performances' from Oprah and the Christopher Reeves tribute, In The World Tonight
    7. blu-ray of disc 6

jpmosu, warewolf95, Haristar and 4 others like this.
  7. jlf

I did some digging into the Amazon links and it looks like a couple of them ASIN code B081WVBKMZ) are for an upcoming Rory Gallagher release, not the Paul McCartney Archive.

8. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident

Where is "Back To The Egg" and "London Town"???? Grrrrrrr.

9. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

While I’m sure this will be great I too am disappointed we are not getting “ Back to the Egg” & “London Town” it’s turned into a long wait for these two!!

peace and love✌Dave

10. jlf

The work has already been done.

11. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I reckon if I were smart I'd sell my sealed original Flaming Pie vinyl for the fat money before it's too late.

12. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

If I were smart I'd hold back from paying fat money for it until I can get it cheaper later :)

13. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I get where you're coming from. The curator in me really likes tying up loose ends, and there are a great many from that period. Of course, finally getting high quality versions of so many great known outtakes is something I (and I think many people here) have hankered for for a long time. And it's easier to get excited about what we know about than what we don't, which makes Flaming Pie a harder sell. My real concern was that FP would contain no more than a single CD of B-sides, most of which would be taken up with those infernal Oobu Joobu's. But the notion that we might get five CDs - even if one of them actually is no more than a collection of the six parts of Oobu Joobu - has to be exciting, doesn't it?

Sentient(Jæ)Ant, jcr64, Sean and 3 others like this.
  14. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Haven’t you noticed the system yet?
    From the start it has been Wings/Solo/Wings/Solo etc...

Now, 2010 had Band On The Run. 2011 saw McCartney 1 & 2. 2012 was RAM. 2013 was Wings Over America. 2014 was Venus and Mars and Speed Of Sound. 2015 had Tug Of War and Pipes Of Peace. 2017 saw the release of Flowes In The Dirt. 2018 had Wild Life/Red Rose Speedway. 2020 will see the release of Flaming Pie.

Here is big quiz: What would you think will be released next time around?

15. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

LOL be real. If Wildlife got the archive treatment then they all will. Wildlife was the only one anyone was questioning and it turned out fantastic.

16. MPLRecords

So.. Wings, Wings and solo, solo? It's not a set pattern, really.

17. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Great news if it's true! I prefer Flaming Pie to the the last two Wings albums. Was hoping for Give My Regards To Broad St., but I guess I'm the only one who loves that one!

warewolf95 likes this.
  18. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident

It's been said before, but I'll throw in my 2 cents for what I am really hoping for:
    1. London Town
    2. Back To The Egg
    3. Press To Play

Press To Play definitely deserves a reassessment. It remains one of my favorite McCartney albums.

19. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

Since Ram isn't a Wings LP either, it would be: Wings, solo x 2, solo, Wings, Wings x 2, solo x 2, solo, Wings x 2.

The real pattern — had Rockshow! not forced a flip — would be:
    single (Band On The Run), double (McCartney & McCartney II), single (Ram), double (Venus And Mars & Speed Of Sound), single (Wings Over America), double (Tug Of War & Pipes Of Peace), single (Flowers In The Dirt), double (Wild Life & Red Rose Speedway)… so that's why a single title release may be set for 2020, with the next double [the last Wings LPs] set for the next one.

dbone828, Sean, theMess and 5 others like this.
  20. jlf

All in due time, I bet.

tug_of_war likes this.
  21. MHP

Believe what you want. I think it’s pretty obvious that the pattern are quite clear.

22. MPLRecords

Not when there are multiple releases in a row - including the two McCartney albums followed by Ram (as noted by @Brian from Canada ) - that don't adhere to the supposed pattern.

23. MHP

Ok. I’ll bet the next two after Flaming Pie are London Town and Back To The Egg. If not, then you can blame me. Over and out.

24. planckera

planckera I Hate Hate

Disc 1: Flaming Pie
    Disc 2: the usual bonus disc
    Disc 3: Steve Miller jam session
    Disc 4: Threetles demos and outtakes
    Disc 5: blank because the above are so full there's no room for the usual empty space

;)

25. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

this has been said 50 times already.. i'm sure there's at least 50 to go.

i for one am glad we're getting FP.

omikron likes this.