Phish: What Are You Listening To?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by B-Mike, Jul 27, 2015.

1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

3. Hicks

Hicks Forum Resident

I think goop only happens at higher temperatures, so if they were stored in a room temperature spot they should be ok.

Having said that, I pulled mine out and put them in generic sleeves a long time ago.

Also, LP 11 11-17-97 is another must have, all timer Ghost.

Crispy Rob and warewolf95 like this.
  4. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Live Phish 1 is just a stellarly fantastic show.

Crispy Rob, adamos and warewolf95 like this.
  5. trd

trd Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing!

I wish there were SBDs available from the first tour in May 99 when it was just a trio. I listened to 5/7/99 last night and the power trio (they even play Voodoo Chile) really brings it. I’d suggest any of those electric sets that you can find online. I really like the double live album Plasma that came out in 2003. The self titled debut album is excellent as well.

Any live version of Sand, First Tube or Gotta Jiboo would be a great listening tribute to Tony. Those songs are classics for TAB and Phish, he co wrote them and their baselines are critical to why they are classics.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
  6. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

If you get through the Tweezer (or just skip it) you get a super fun and tight “Simple” and maybe the best Hood & Coil of all time. Happy listening!

7. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Nope.

j4yheindeo, Crispy Rob and warewolf95 like this.
  8. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

theyre all streaming, and that’s the way to go. The packaging of those in the CD era apparently led to a lot of damaged discs. Just stream em and see what you like. If you want to deep dive with the LivePhish series I suggest going roughly chronologically (not by the release number in the title).

but before that: New Years Eve 1995 is a stand-alone release and IMO their best official live release after ALO. Also At the Roxy (some prime 1993 shows) and Chicago ‘94. Clearly I’m partial to the 93-95 era over the late 90’s, but I think those are good next steps and all easily found on streaming.

9. Hicks

Hicks Forum Resident

Glad it came up, I have extra copies of LP 7 and 15 that I found a couple years ago and have been storing in my basement in the original sleeves.

Just checked them out and they indeed are starting to get goopy. Luckily it’s just on the top of the discs and it’s cleaning off with alcohol.

But yeah, close call they probably would have been ruined if I left them for much longer.

10. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Just listened to that 1999 show. For 20 minutes Tony just locked down Sand. Hypnotically mesmerizing. He just kept the groove going.

warewolf95 and trd like this.
  11. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

There was a 1 disc SBD sampler from the May 99 shows that circulated amongst the trading circles. I’ll check my HDD archives and post it if I have it.

warewolf95 likes this.
  12. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The Phish versions of "Sand" are good but the groove flows more in the versions with Tony and Russ, you can tell they wrote it.

13. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Dropbox - trey1999-05-11.sbd.22129.flac16 - Simplify your life

Trey Anastasio
    5-11-99
    9:30 Club - Washington DC
    Soundboard - Mix of songs from Set II

Source: SBD > DAT > CDR > CDWAV > EAC > FLAC

Fixes: Original CD burned from the DAT had 20
    second gaps between each song. Transfered to
    Audacity 1.0.0 to delete silence, and crossfade
    the crowd between tracks. Used CDWav to track
    the disc properly. Further source info unknown.

Transfer/fixes: by taperwayne:
    [email protected]
    db.etree.org/taperwayne

Notes: Got this in a random trade. It's a mix of
    soundboard tracks from Set II of 5-11-99.
    Likely recorded by Paul Languedoc, mixed later
    at the Barn, or elsewhere. Somehow leaked out.
    Kinda rare - well worth hearing.
    It's not the complete set however.

------------------------------------

1. Gotta Jibboo (16:06)
    2. First Tube (8:21)
    3. Heavy Things (6:07)
    4. I Can See Clearly Now (5:06) >
    5. Aqui Como Alla (6:15)
    6. Sand (21:46)

------------------------------------

Dropbox - trey1999-05-11.sbd.22129.flac16 - Simplify your life

14. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Great show.

trd and warewolf95 like this.
  15. trd

trd Forum Resident

I don’t know if I prefer one over the other but they are definitely very different. Really lays bare the differences between Mike and Tony’s approaches to the instrument. Love them both but they could not be more different - instruments, fingers v pick, tone and all the way through their phrasing

Crispy Rob, adamos and warewolf95 like this.
  16. trd

trd Forum Resident

Horseshoe Curve this afternoon. Almost entirely instrumental TAB, the only lyrics on the whole album are “burlap sack and pumps”

Crispy Rob, warewolf95 and adamos like this.
  17. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Funny thing is, I've been to the actual Horseshoe Curve in Pennsylvania several times with my dad. It's crazy - there is a parking lot area from which there is a little gift shop/museum about the site. From there you take the steepest stairs ever about a mile straight up to the main viewing area where there is a park and benches to watch the trains.

4 lines all next to each other If I remember correctly. I remember we hit the jackpot one time and caught it as 2 trains were going one way and a third was going between the two. Insane. Even if you aren't into trains it's worth checking out if you are in that area (Altoona, PA)

He has always been a major railfan and we bonded over trains growing up. Long story short, I grew up in Florida but our family is from Connecticut, so every summer my dad and I would road trip back up north for a few weeks.

We'd go train watching and record store hunting (due to me :p ). 10 or 11 years in a row! I will always cherish those awesome times. So lucky....

But I digress...onward with 2011 :) Night 2 at the Gorge. No way this compares to night 1, I can tell. The setlist looks very "bland but enjoyable" in that great vanilla way.

Possum and Moma to open. Good stuff.

Mugrug12, trd, adamos and 1 other person like this.
  18. warewolf95

8/6/11 George, WA

HOLY FREAKING HELL THE ENERGY!!!!!!!! JEEZ LOUISE!!!

They are HOPPED UP tonight!!! Trey is just laying waste to everything in his sight and the band is keeping pace.

Possum
    Moma Dance (Dynamic jamming with the best peak ever)
    Sample In a Jar (FRIGGIN STEAMROLLER)
    Limb By Limb (Exceptional type I soloing. Liquid butter. Incredible)

Yea this is goin good so far :p

adamos and trd like this.
  19. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

Prince: Controversy album.

warewolf95 likes this.
  20. warewolf95

Wrong thread, but I completely approve :cheers:

21. warewolf95

8/6/11 George

Wolfman's Brother>Almost Type II jam>Maze

This is a perfect example of what has been going on in 2011 so far.

2011 has seen the guys easily going Type II, BUT almost every time as soon as they "cross that threshold", they/Trey immediately reigns them in by segueing into something else or doing a nasty ripcord.

Thankfully here we get a nice ambient segue! Wolfman's had a great 5 or so minutes of jamming. Got very funky and was about to go full '97 on us when they instead killed the jam and slid us into Maze. This here is a perfect example of the "sound" of 2011 thus far.

They seem have confidence in their jamming, but they/Trey apparently are still worried about being self-indulgent and stretching the length of said jams, if I had to guess.

Overly self conscious? That's my guess. Cuz the music is great! THERE JUST AIN'T ENOUGH OF IT! ;)

22. warewolf95

Continuing today with set 2 of 8/6/11 George, WA

I could only make it through set 1 last night, so today I kick off set 2 and the Chalkdust Torture>Tweezer bananza.

Chalkdust is hot as hell, but it gets real wonky in a good way. Trey makes some mistakes with incorrect note placement and ends up trying to get back in key for a bit, lol. But it works a little bit and the energy is there so it's all good.

Then we segue directly into Tweezer.

Tweezer gets going and you can tell its gonna be a good one - a 12 minute Tweezer in 2011 is a good sign! :)

Eventually they start jamming hard and going for that Type 1.5 kinda stuff. Trey is tearing it up with a wah pedal getting some good honky tones. Page is raging on the clavinet (?). The stuff you'd expect but that doesn't make it any less enjoyable! :)

Eventually the blissful Type II ambiance comes forth. They ride this gentle stream for several beautiful minutes before, unfortunately, derailing us for Caspian...

Grr....

Again, this is 2011 in a nutshell - As soon as they cross that Type II threshold they get spooked and retreat to another song. :(

To be fair, this was a genuine segue though. Whale calls abound, this was not a ripcord. Trey is absolutely getting better at doing proper transitions instead of yanking the chain.

The segue into Caspian is pretty dang PERFECT!

23. warewolf95

8/6/11 George

Prince Caspian>Sand

Caspian was absolutely SOARING in the skies of bliss tonight!!! Near the end they start to hit that transition point but instead - extremely perfectly and tastefully, I might add - wind the jam down and execute the most absolutely perfect segue into Sand that you can't even imagine.

Seriously, that segue was some next-level patience, lol.

See, Trey ain't really ripcording much this summer. He's learning the art of the subtle transition more and more it seems :p

24. warewolf95

Finishing up 8/6/11 George, night 2 at the Gorge

Holy freakin hell. I'm not even gonna bother trying to rave about it more. As with night 1, nearly the entire show was top tier.

8/5 and 8/6/11 are top-notch, foot-to-the-floor, banger shows of the highest order (at least for early 3.0).

The Rock and Roll of 8/5 is easily THE jam of the year so far (by a wide margin!) but the entirety of both shows is worth hearing.

If you pick some 2011 to listen to, do yourself a favor rage to these 2. You will not regret it!

25. warewolf95

Terrible thunderstorm morning here in SC. So that means Phish with my coffee :)

On to 8/8/11, Hollywood, CA
    Very "straigtforward" ROCKING looking setlist tonight. In other words, right up my alley :p
    After the previous 2 MONSTER shows at the Gorge, I'm ok with a "lesser" show, so to speak.

That's all relative though as we know. :p

Right out of the gate we get blasted with straight fire in the form of a ripping Down With Disease.

Cue immediate headbanging.

See you guys on the other side!

trd likes this.