Sound United To Acquire Onkyo/Pioneer

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by soundboy, May 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Innocent Bystander

3. Gizmo90

Gizmo90 Ashes to ashes, funk to funky

The Beave and Sneaky Pete like this.
  4. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

5. soundboy

6. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Should they have included Boston Acoustics in that press release? I thought they killed off that brand.

7. soundboy

Sound United probably still owns the rights to the brand Boston Acoustics. I suppose SU can always sell off the BA brand to someone else for resurrection, i.e. KLH speakers.

8. tumbleweed

At which point Andy Kostatsos would be spinning in his grave...if he wasn't still alive...:disgust:

soundboy likes this.
  9. tumbleweed

According to some industry news this week, the reverberations from Sound United's failed deal for Onkyo are starting to appear. Reportedly, Onkyo is laying off up to 30% of its workforce, moving its headquarters in Osaka, and attempting to revive their once substantial OEM business. I guess this means that Onkyo as a brand (and - likely - Integra) could disappear.

As many know, Foster Electric has survived for years making product for other brands. Onkyo could now follow the same path. They always were a speaker manufacturer, and now have a deal making product for the Indian market. Sad news for me, as two of my three systems are centered around Onkyo/Integra.

I'd love to know if whatever's left of Marantz still owns their famous Japanese facility that started as Standard Radio many years ago.:(

10. soundboy

I thought the Onkyo that makes speaker drivers is a different company from the Onkyo that makes hi-fi components.

For a time in the late 80s and early 90s. Onkyo was the OEM for NAD components.

tumbleweed likes this.
  11. tumbleweed

To the best of my knowledge, the speaker people and the component people were/are both part of the same company. I remember, even back in the mid '70s, Onkyo's well-known Model 25, considered an equal to classic KLH speakers, and it was common knowledge it was a part of mainstream Onkyo...although they didn't have much of a presence in components back then.

As to NAD, who hasn't built their stuff at one time or another?:uhhuh:

12. BruceS

BruceS El Sirviente del Gato

Makes me appreciate Cambridge Audio (Azur 540R v3) all the moreā€”or is that owned by someone, too?

13. tumbleweed

Cambridge Audio belongs to Audio Partnership, which also owns Mordaunt-Short and two other lesser brands, all still based in the UK. They're still very much controlling their own destiny, though...no comparison to what the biggies are going through. You could compare their situation to the early days of NAD, I suppose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.