Star Wars: Episode VIII (The Last Jedi) - SPOILERS POSSIBLE*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MLutthans, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

There is absolutely nothing set up in The Force Awakens that was brushed off or mishandled in The Last Jedi. The belief that Rey was the daughter of a major character or characters was the product of internet speculation. There was nothing in the first film to suggest otherwise.

2. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

True. But no one is pointing out that during the vision sequence in FA, Unkar Plutt restrains Rey in tears as she watches what is presumably her parents' ship flying away. This does not square with the story that Kylo cooks up in TLJ about her parents dying on Jakku and being buried in a pauper's grave.[​IMG]

3. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I think it means they sold her for drinking money in that scene. But their ultimate fate was dying and being buried in a pauper's grave.

4. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Rey's looking up at Luke's ship the same ship you see buried in the water on the island.

5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

He crushes throats with his thoughts; he blows up entire planets; he slew his own father. But Kylo Ren tell a lie? Never! :angel:

tdavis0903 and sunspot42 like this.
  6. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

I waited since like 1979 to see Luke kick butt as a Jedi master.... and they totally took that away from the charictor and Mark Hamilton as an actor. I cant connect to a chick kicking butt. Call me a chauvinist, say I’m lacking a PC attitude... whatever. Don’t mess with my childhood hero’s. Maybe Rey could like bring a beer to Luke while he kicks someone in the butt with the force.

They should have given him and his fans the long waited long over due moment to shine... then slide in Rey. Disney has no right just because their wallet bought Star Wars to ruin my childhood.

bluesbro and enro99 like this.
  7. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

It'll be okay.

8. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

No. There is clearly a shot of Han looking at Rey with a sort of sadness when she talked about being stuck on Jakku. And then when Rey leaves the room, Maz is like - "What's the story with the girl". And Han clearly tells her SOMETHING. I didn't imagine this. They insinuate that he told her something. Next thing we know Maz is like, 'here, have a saber'.

mark renard likes this.
  9. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Disney has every right to do whatever they want. And what they're doing is exactly what I was afraid they were going to do when the bought the whole thing away from George Lucas. They're going to crank out generic movies with "Star Wars elements" from now until the end of time. Its officially Kentucky Fried Star Wars.

I enjoyed Luke Skywalker the hermit. I have no connection with any of the knew characters. I think they're all portrayed by fine actors but I have no interest in what they bring to the story.

Funky54 likes this.
  10. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

I don't think it's the same ship. The ship in the water is Luke's old X-wing. The ship taking off is a small transport from what I remember.

11. David Campbell

It took like a 113 pages, but we finally got a " Dizney ruined my childhood" brigade member to post here. I'm surprised it took this long!

Take a breath. Calm down. It'll be ok. If you don't like the way the story is going, just ignore it. The OT is still there. Rian Johnson didn't take your movies. I've just checked my own shelf. My VHS and DVD's of the original trilogy are safe and sound and I'm sure yours are too. ;)

Lownote30, Plan9, superstar19 and 4 others like this.
  12. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

What's the name of your childhood hero actor?

13. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

You’re a chauvinist.

14. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

I'm thinking she would be more like 5 or 6 years old in that TFA flashback scene.........and maybe she was very new to Ben.........but he was aware of her surviving.
    Isn't that the age young ones started their training?
    I kinda think there's about 15 years between the burning of the Jedi school and TFA/TLJ.

15. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I'd say it's more like 20 yrs...I'd like them to fill in those missing years with another movie.

16. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

In all fairness...I can understand both your view and their view...I'm sure they are a fan as much as anyone and to be honest it's hard after what 34 years from the original Trilogy for Luke to finally come back and die so quickly, you can hardly count his 10 sec appearance in TFA. I personally don't care how Disny takes this but it's a hard pill to swallow that after 34 yrs they kill off Luke, Han I can understand because he wanted out of the series for good but did we ever hear that MH wanted out of the series as well? I would suspect he would be more than happy to make a return in another episode. I personally think they killed off Luke too early, let him die in ep 9...I can totally understand some of the die hard fans being upset that they finally brought him back for a full episode and what do they do kill him off immediately. It just seems overkill.

I don't think it's a matter of go get your trilogy it's still there...obviously there a time capsule...I think it's more about fans having a vested interest in these character for so long, almost an attachment to their world and why kill him off after 1 full episode. I personally think that in light of what happen to Carrie Fisher they should have thought twice about killing Luke off in this episode (I know it was already filmed) but have him survive 8 and die in 9....that would pave the way officially for the new cast/characters.

jeroemba likes this.
  17. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Adam Driver is 34. He didn't look 12-14 in that flashback. I would say it was maybe 10 years, tops.

Remember the last time we felt we needed a prequel movie to fill in the backstory of the "missing years"?
    [​IMG]

sunspot42 likes this.
  18. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

It doesn't fit for Rey because IF she was 5 or 6 when taken away from training and left on Jakku that would make her 16 or 17 in the movie, no way her character in the movie was at least 26/27 (not what she looked like in real life but how she acted as her character)

19. David Campbell

I think I've read that the events of TFA start 7 years after the burning of the Jedi school, this based on some of the novels, but I might be wrong.

20. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

turnersmemo and David Campbell like this.
  21. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Daisy's 25 in real life. I would imagine that's about her age in the movies too.
    And it only "doesn't fit" if you're assuming she was "taken away from training." There's no indication she was. There's no indication her being left with Unkar Plutt happened at the same time Ben burned down the temple. There's no indication she was training with Luke, or is Luke's offspring, or any of that.
    If I'm remembering the scene correctly, Han's look is more of disappointment that she won't join him and Chewie as part of his crew. He's disappointed that she's wasting her potential waiting for her parents on Jakku. As for what he told Maz, it could have simply been what he knew about her: She's someone from Jakku who he picked up, and she wants to go back there and wait for her parents who will probably never come for her. The only thing Maz really says to her about it is that her parents are in the past and probably never coming back, whereas Luke and the Jedi are in her future.

And don't forget - Maz didn't give her the lightsaber. The lightsaber (literally) called out for her.

22. David Campbell

The thing is the time to have done a trilogy where Luke, Leia and Han were the main characters still was sometime in the mid 90s. Lucas could have done that instead of the Prequels, but he obviously had no interest.That ship long sailed. I honestly thought when Revenge of The Sith was out, that was it. Lucas said there would be no more Star Wars movies. So, to hear the announcement there would be more Star Wars, with appearances from the original stars , was a huge shock.

I think it comes down to expectations. I get the feeling that the " Dizney killed Star Wars" crowd is they expected Han, Leia and Luke to carry this series as active action actors with new characters thrown in. If that was your expectation, then yeah, you'll be disappointed. However it was made clear from the start that the focus would be the newer characters and they would drive the action. The stories of this trilogy and the older characters appearances is to serve the newer characters. Yes there are familiar faces and ships, etc, but it's not Disney's fault a segment of fandom didn't temper their expectations accordingly and expected 60+ year old actors to be action stars as they were 40 years ago.

Disney and Lucasfilm aren't obligated to feed the nostalgia of aging fans by checking off their wish lists. They are obligated to tell stories and, yes, make money. Fan service can't drive this franchise forever and to be afraid of making controversial choices with these characters because it might hurt some feelings is a receipe for Star Wars to stagnate and become irrelevant.

Considering their age and underlined after the fact we lost Carrie, I personally think we should be grateful we are getting to see the old characters played by the original actors one last time, and I think in Luke's case he got a fitting " end". Should they have waited until IX to kill Luke? Perhaps. I personally would have done it then, but then again, that's not the story they are telling in the way they decided to tell it. Plus, I don't think we are done with Luke yet anyway. So I think people need to chill out.

Even so, if they had waited to kill Luke in IX, the " Dizney killed Star Wars" crowd would be just as angry. Mainly because they are against any move that moves the franchise away from just telling Luke Skywalker stories.

23. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

and this makes an even stronger case that she might have been in training before being dropped off on Jakku.

Quadboy likes this.
  24. Funky54

Cool. It’s good to accomplish goals.

25. Funky54

Sorry don’t get it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.