Strictly for fans of Audio Note UK (all things Audio Note UK)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Richard Austen, Mar 19, 2015.

1. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Good luck Bob I hope the fires spare both you and your TT3!

2. Acapella48

Acapella48 Forum Resident

Stay safe. Hope you won't have to evacuate. We're getting the smoke over here in Sacramento.

3. Good Vibes

Good Vibes Forum Resident

That sucks... the wildfire situation is heartbreaking. Stay safe, NapaBob!

4. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

It must be nerve-wracking. Stay safe.

5. finn

finn Forum Resident

And what version power supply did we procure?

I thought you were dipping toes into the old analog black hole.

We were driving back up the coast last week and saw how much forest had been burnt in the fires in January earlier this year but with good rain in patches since the new growth has really taken off but with only 2 road kills in 800kms of travelling, you get a real sense of the destruction of wildlife that must have occurred back then and how long that recovery will take.

6. Tlay

Tlay Forum Resident

At least you have it in your house to ogle over. I ordered mine slightly over a year ago from Warren (I know he passed away recently, and may that wonderful gentleman rest in peace) and still haven't received it. First world problems I know. There may be some extenuating circumstances however; about which I know nothing about yet. Peter Q, bless his patience, has been trying to get to the bottom of it though. I'm hoping for a speedy and easy resolution. I've been collecting a nice vinyl collection in the meantime though!
    Cue the Rolling Stones I am Waiting...
    Hope you stay safe from the fires!!

SetANE and Richard Austen like this.
  7. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Yes, the Napa wildfires are now making headlines over here :cry: Fingers crossed that you won't have to evacuate, Bob. Stay safe.

jonwoody, Richard Austen and NielsSS like this.
  8. Acapella48

Acapella48 Forum Resident

UPDATE: The presentation will be recorded and shared on YouTube. No other details were offered.

@NapaBob - praying all is well with you. I see where Calistoga is under mandatory evacuation orders as of last night. and Gov. Newsom has declared a state of emergency for Northern California including the Glass fire in Napa and Sonoma counties.

The emergency proclamation also covers the Zogg fire burning in Shasta County.

2020 has been a disastrous year :cry:

jonwoody and Sugar Man like this.
  9. NielsSS

NielsSS Forum Resident

Hope you are all well in Northern California. Sounds terrible

10. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

A much more affordable (1/5) but more fun (much, much lighter) alternative. Mine turned 20 years old back in May.
    [​IMG]

11. Kimiimacman

The person that ‘designed’ the sandwich isolators also suggested these as alternatives to the official AN-E stands.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The extra blocks seen above are in case the speaker is knocked off the Cardas; a safety net.

2 heavy (15-20kg each) concrete blocks, painted black and blu-tac’d together.
    I made said isolators but in truth didn’t get on with them, indeed anything compliant like these or made of rubber or Sorbothane smeared the sound. My solution was 3x Cardas Mertle wood blocks (2 front-1 rear) This arrangement has the added benefit of being able to easily adjust toe-in, simply twist the speakers, the block grips the wood block but the speaker can slide on the smooth surface. I never tried blu-tac because of the likely damage to the speaker getting them off the concrete blocks.
    The concrete blocks sit atop 4 wood screws screwed into the floorboards and allow micro adjustment for levelling.
    The tape shows both current and previous position; alarming how utterly different the 2 positions present both sound (the other position has some more hifi attributes but lessons musical engagement) and music coherence.
    Compared to the official stands (tried empty and various fillers including Attabites, sand etc at different levels) is the total lack of ringing (Mario used a concrete or steel lump covered in bubble wrap to add mass and to dampen) and seriously tight bass if appropriate, by which I mean, some bass just isn’t meant to be but when it is my Es have serious grip and drive.
    All for less than £20!

JanJ, Richard Austen and jonwoody like this.
  12. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

Kind of similar to what I was using with my E’s for a while. I thought they were excellent.

[​IMG]

13. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident Thread Starter

I like the car sharing idea - if I lived in a big city they might have such things but when I get back to Canada I will be living on Vancouver Island - no such programs exist. After seeing the class action lawsuit against Ford for their atrocious manual transmissions (Made in China) and now their brakes are breaking (all of them) on Mustangs with automatic transmissions - combined with poor safety ratings and 2 other recalls - they leave much to be desired.

And Good ole Scotty Kilmer and his 52 years as a mechanic - well I am leaning Miata now. And I'll skip the across Canada - I'll fly with all the money saved. I am looking at models now so that in several years I can buy a second hand one.

Scotty is a hoot sometimes when he goes off on Fiat/Chrysler or the German cars. He hates turbos and CVTs.

Here he is on the Miata

jonwoody and Acapella48 like this.
  14. Kimiimacman

Very wise choice Richard. There’s a reason it’s the best selling sports car ever. As for the Mustang, well, as the saying goes “if it’s seems to good to be true, it probably is”. On paper it does seem a lot for the money; I had no idea it has these issues, shame though. As it happens, the photo of my Elise parked outside my 92 yo mother’s posted recently was taken just as the owner of the house opposite (U.K.) pulled up in a ‘68 Mustang coupe, dark blue with white stripes and loads of chrome; beautiful!

15. Chris.p.l

Chris.p.l Forum Resident

Hello,

I have been testing a Wattson Emerson Digital Streamer for a few days.
    It is connected in SPDIF on the Dac2.1x Sig.
    I am blown away, the only time I heard so much naturalness and fluidity was at my dealer with a CDT One in front of the Dac2.1x Sig.
    For my part, I found my Transport for Streaming! :righton:

jonwoody, Acapella48 and Encore like this.
  16. Daniel Sun

Daniel Sun Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I may need to get new 300B tubes soon and I'm considering the AN 4300s. There was a few brief mentions on this thread and one review that I found on the internet. For those who either own the 4300s, or have heard them, what are your impressions? If I'm not planning to roll tubes, but just have a pair to enjoy music on my Quests, are the 4300s something you'll recommend or are there better choices at the same price range or less?

By the way, I'm currently using the PSVANE WE 300b replicas but detected a burning smell. The AN technician said one of the tubes were causing my Quests to run hot so no more PSVANE WEs for me ( the irony that the 4300s are also manufactured by PSVANE is not lost on me)...

17. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

I have them, and they are great. Across the frequency spectrum. I also have Emission Labs 300B XLS, and while that is also a great tube (it's build quality seems fantastic, and it comes with a much better warranty), it does have a tendency to be a little recessed in the mids. The 4300 doesn't have this character, which makes it more engaging, and its highs may be a tad smoother also.

Daniel Sun, jonwoody and Musicophile like this.
  18. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

New Lexus LX cables and jumpers installed yesterday. Sound great. Actually they're sounding a bit better with a little time playing music. New prints too!

[​IMG]

Itsjaw, NOS300B, Art K and 15 others like this.
  19. jonwoody

Looking good Joe love the new prints and the whole aesthetic of your room. And congrats on Lexus I have them too they sound great though using Kimber jumpers here.

Joe Spivey likes this.
  20. Joe Spivey

Thanks Jon, much appreciated!

I meant to post this pic too. Loving the sound and easy cable to hook-up and use (not stiff and cumbersome).

[​IMG]

Art K, slcaudiophile and jonwoody like this.
  21. jonwoody

I fully agree I went from massively thick Cerious Technology Matrix cables to Lexus and the best description I could think of is they are more human sized. I've developed an aversion to heavy gear and thick cables over the years.

Joe Spivey and Encore like this.
  22. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Looks great :edthumbs: Did you install cables and jumpers in one go? Just a thought: You might want to have started with the cables and then after a week or so install the jumpers, just to get a sense of how much they bring. But I guess it would be hard to go back and do that now :laugh: So don't fret it, and just enjoy the music :cheers:

jonwoody and Joe Spivey like this.
  23. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident Thread Starter

24. Joe Spivey

Thanks and good suggestion! I thought about doing something similar. I was thinking of installing the jumpers first and then adding the speaker cables later to compare. However, they are close to the wall and really not enough room to easily install the new wire so they had to come off the stands. Once I had them off the stands I thought better to just get it done. So I couldn't resist and did the jumpers and speaker cable both at the same time.

Encore and scobb like this.
  25. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Well, I think you can just safely take word from those of us who have experienced the difference and rest assured that the money for the jumpers was well spent :)