Suggestions for small CD Player/Boombox

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Retro Hound, Nov 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Retro Hound

Retro Hound Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello all. I keep a CD player in the bathroom and listen to CDs when I'm showering and getting ready in the morning. I've had a couple generic things, but a few months ago I bought a used Cambridge Soundworks 765i which sounded great, but it just died. Zip, nothing, no lights, no sound. I had to take it apart to get my CD out. I'm thinking of buying something quality to replace it, budget of less than $200. My wife is willing for me to put a little into it as she says, that's where most of my CD playing happens, and why have 1000 CDs if you don't play them? Would a Bose Soundwave be good? Any other suggestions?

2. Retro Hound

I think this might be in the wrong forum. Sorry.

3. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

At the risk of threadcrapping, I'd consider a smart speaker. Unless you've got some kind of sound-treated bathroom, the sound is probably not great in there. You can get a smart speaker and a streaming subscription for a year on your budget. Keep your CDs in a room less prone to moisture.

McLover likes this.
  4. Retro Hound

I don't keep them in there, I play them in there. That is something to consider though.

5. Daddy-O4

Daddy-O4 Senior Member

I actually have TWO of the same Cambridge 765's and as you say, really good sound for the size and also has AM/FM tuner, an iPod dock and an alarm clock built in!

Also like your experience, the CD player on BOTH of them gave up the ghost years ago. On one of them, I've just gone to using an iPod Touch. On the other one, I still wanted to play CD's. What I ended up doing is plugging a sony cd walkman I had into the AUX/mini-jack input. A little less convenient, but works just fine.

Perhaps this is a solution to try first before buying a new system and scrapping the Cambridge altogether...?

6. Retro Hound

Sorry to report that it wasn't just the CD that died, but the whole unit. No power. Nothing lights up, no sound. It worked fine one day, and the next I go in the room and the light isn't on.

7. kamchatka

kamchatka Forum Resident

It probably died due to condensation/humidity in the bathroom. Any replacement is likely to meet the same fate, unless it's designed for that environment.

CharlieD, clhboa and fluffskul like this.
  8. Retro Hound

That may be, but the cheapo things I had in there lasted for years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.