Technics RS-715US Reel to Reel

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ronald Hofmeister, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ronald Hofmeister

Ronald Hofmeister Member Thread Starter

i just Bought a Technics Model Number RS-715US
    Reel to Reel it has all the Bell’s & Whistles on it. Here is the Question I have about it. On the Back there is a Round Socket for a Wired Remote Control it say’s to use Technics RP-9714 & there is nothing on Google about it at all. I have a Technics RP-9677 for my Technics RS-676US Cassette Tape Deck made around the same time period will it work with the Reel to Reel? It has 6 buttons on it. I also saw on the Internet an Technics RP-9275 & Technics RP-9645 so will they interchange or not? Mine has 14 foot cord with a Round Socket with a silver steel control box with (6) black pushbutton’s on It. My RS-815US is Feather Touch Solenoid Operation.
    Also does anyone have an Original Owners Manual that I could possibly Purchase for the Technics RS-715US Reel to Reel? I would also like an Original Service Manual but it is under the Panasonic Name as RS-715US.

Ronald

Floyd Crazy likes this.
  2. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Ronnie, getting a manual online should be easy. Just google it. Many places sell manuals for this kind of gear.

As far as the wired remote, I'd doubt that anything but the specified unit for the RS-715 will work. You wouldnt want to plug other units into the RS-715, you could short out the circuits behind the connector. Use the correct remote!!

The FRiNgE, Agitater and longdist01 like this.
  3. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The manuals for this will be somewhat hard to find. Technics didn't sell many of this model open reel in the USA. The RS 1500 series was their biggest open reel seller (and used by broadcast stations a lot).

4. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

5. antnee

antnee Well-Known Member

Cool deck...

6. 80sFan

80sFan Well-Known Member

7. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Was 815 a typo?

The RS-714US and RS-715US were essentially similar. The 714 was not auto-reverse, the 715 was auto-reverse. Both from 1971-1973. If you search the net for "RS-714US service manual", a free link will come up (down the results page) to download that, and that's a free place to start right away.

8. Ronald Hofmeister

I need to ask a Question about Technics Wired Remote Control Units. I have The Technics RS-715US Reel to Reel Tape Deck made around the 1973-1974 time Period. It says to use Technics RP-9714 but I can’t find anything at all on it even Google had nothing. It has a 14 Foot Cord with a Round Plug In that has a 6 Pushbutton Solonoid Operation. I have a Technics RP-9677 that’s for my Technics RS-676US Cassette Tape Deck Same Plug In made in same time period. There is also on the Internet I’ve seen an RP-9275 & a RP-9645 mine is mounted into a Metal Housing. So do those interchange with one another. I get conflicting information on the Internet
    So who is right? Mine is in a Silver Colored Metal Housing. There is no information out there at all.
    I even tried just answers & ask a Technics Technician none knew the answer 100% so I’m turning to you for help.

Pythonman likes this.
  9. McLover

McLover Senior Member

They do not interchange with each other. Use only the remote Technics recommended. I would not chance damaging that machine, especially as parts support has long been gone for over 30 something years.

10. Ronald Hofmeister

I have a Question about my Technics RS-715US Reel to Reel Rebranded from Panasonic RS-715US. Here is the Question. It was Serviced 4 months ago & they never ever Replaced the Belts they are all Original one’s & there is a Mistake in the Service Manual. It say’s there is 1 Belt for the Tape Counter. But mine has 2 belts on the Tape Counter. The Service Manual shows only 1 for the Tape Counter. So has anyone else run into this mistake? My 2nd Question is when it was Serviced why in Heck didn’t they Replace the 3 Belt’s & Rubber Pinch Roller ever? Didn’t they want to Spend the money on the belts? I got the belts now.
    Should I also replace the Cloth on the 2 Fast Breaking also? Or do they not go bad very often?

11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Pinch rollers are never replaced unless defective or worn our. Service the deck as necessary. And also with the belts, the technician may not have been able to get information on the correct belts to use. And might not have had a cross reference which covered your model.

12. McLover

McLover Senior Member

USE only the correct Remote Control for your tape machines. NO OTHER. Don't risk damaging it, and parts for your machine are extremely unobtainable. Your tape machines are very rare, and very few of these machines were sold in the United States Of America or Canada. This is not a Technics RS 1500 or RS 1700, which did sell in somewhat reasonable numbers to high end audiophiles and broadcast stations. Be mindful of this. The RS 676 was more popular than the open reel models were in the USA, those sold in decent numbers, I once even owned one (my favorite cassette deck ever). Wired remotes for most tape machines were optional, and very rarely ordered items.

13. Ronald Hofmeister

I’m the Person that Bought the Technics RS-715US Reel to Reel. I was Shocked I found the Original Technics Wired Remote Control for the Reel to Reel in Europe I had to pay to get it but there is not a Scratch on it. It is 100% Mint Condition. But there is something else I’m looking for but will I be able to Locate the 7” Technics Black Smoked Take Up reel’s?
    It has Technics in Black Letters on it. Does anyone have one? I’d be willing to Trade my Metal Relestic one for the OEM Technics one.

14. Ronald Hofmeister

I got my Technics RS-715US Reel to Reel done. Who can answer a Question for me? Mine was built in 1973. I want to Replace the 3 Wooden Pannel’s because mine has Chip’s out on the Particle Boards.
    Mine the Board’s are Glewed Together. My Reel to Reel slides into the Cabinet. Got any idea’s on how to replace the 3 Board’s? My Tape Deck slides into the Cabinet from the front to the back. Any ideas on who can help me out?

15. Bob S

Bob S Member

I'm new to this forum, finding it of interest since I just picked up a Technics RS-715US in beautiful condition. Only issue were a few chips in the laminate on the front of the cabinet. I thought of replacing the sides, as you are thinking, but decided that it would be too risky since it would require complete removal of the operating components. Instead, I re-laminated the areas that were damaged, and just posted a video showing the process on YouTube. If you're interested, you can view it using the following link: https:youtu.be/x7ROVQOpO5M If that doesn't work, let me know. My repair only involved the front edge panels, but the same methodology can be used to re-surface the entire cabinet. Much easier, and safer, than trying to rebuild the cabinet I think. Hope this helps. By the way, I am looking for a copy of the owner's manual (I have the service manual), any ideas as to where I can get one. Thanks, and good luck with the repair.

16. Ronald Hofmeister

I bought a Technics RS-715US Reel to Reel about 3 months ago it was serviced about 5 months ago but they never replaced the Rubber Pinch Roller or main Drive Belt which I don’t know why? But I did. I also cleaned the Whole inside out with Qtips & Water. Now the only thing that has to be done is have a cabinet maker replace the 4 Particle Boards with Real Rosewood. There’s not a scratch on the Metal Part’s anywhere. I was also able to Locate the Original OEM Wired Remote Control. Here is where I need help does anyone have the Technics 7” Smoked Black Plastic Reel? It has the Technics Name on it with White Letters. I’d be willing to pay $25.00 for a mint one would someone be willing to sell me that or do some Trading for Replacement Parts? I got 5 large box’s full of Part’s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.