The Velvet Underground "White Light/White Heat" 45th Anniversary Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Marry a Carrot, Sep 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grungenoir

grungenoir Forum Resident

Why are there no lyrics included in the book, like the VU & Nico book? Surely there should be some consistency between these 45th releases.

2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Gee, to think 45th Anniversary releases!!! Does this make everyone feel old?

3. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Not as old as 50th anniversary! WL/WH was my first VU album, bought in the village fall of 1968.

4. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Man I'm still itching to get the super deluxe version, but I haven't seen it go for under $60. May have to break down and pay full price, but I know as soon as I do, Amazon will drop it from $72 to $42 and make me cry. But I've been listening to the album a lot this week.

5. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

It would be nice if they would do a rarities edition and only use disc one and two from the 3CD set and omit the live disc and house it in a jewel case with a book.

vonwegen, JimC and Hep Alien like this.
  6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Wow you must have been one of the first to ever own the record. First VU fans in existence and you bought the record in the Village to boot!

7. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

I went into the city from Long Island often looking for records - started my Philles singles collection at the time. I didn't know what to make of WL/WH. Liked a few songs (WL/WH, Here She Comes Now, I Heard Her Call My Name - but that guitar solo!) but the others were kind of bewildering. It wasn't until Loaded that I really got into them and bought the first and third albums. Now WL/WH is my favorite!

Hep Alien likes this.
  8. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Just picked up the 2 disc CD in hmv for £6!

9. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

I have been listening to this edition on Spotify the last couple of days.

I realized that I had never really heard this album. I knew VU were frequently cited as major influences by punk, art rock, metal, etc. But apart from a few "hits", I only knew "& Nico" -- which is a fantastic album but more folk to my ears.

Now I get it. "I Heard Her Call My Name" is proto noise rock at its finest! And the whole record is just bugnuts. I am loving it.

Haven't played the live tracks yet. Still absorbing the studio versions.

ronton99, dino77 and stepeanut like this.
  10. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

This should have been in the deluxe set.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  11. dynamicalories

dynamicalories Forum Resident

jerrygene likes this.
  12. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Oh Ralph, for a moment I believed I had found the mythical "Sweet Rock and Roll", but alas... :sigh:

13. RocketUSA

RocketUSA Forum Resident

So it seems this has been released in Japan as an SHM-CD set...how much of a boost is SHM-CD over standard CD? Can anyone hear the differences? Or are the supposed improvements in sound virtually negligible?

14. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Should be the same mastering. Really debatable if you can hear a difference or not with different material.

15. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

Barry Diament reckons there's a significant difference and I trust his ears:

"I think something similar occurs with processes such as SHM, Blu-Spec and HQCD, where the processes are different from usual and sometimes the materials in the disc itself are different. I recently compared some of these with their plain CD counterparts. I was pretty surprised by the degree of difference I heard and found it to be so obvious, I would have bet I was listening to two different masterings, with different EQ!
    To “prove” this, I extracted both the “special” disc and the plain CD to computer hard drive so I could perform a “null” test. In a null test, two digital files are synchronized (to the sample) and mixed together. The polarity of one of the files is reversed. What results is that everything the two files have in common, i.e., what is the same in the files, is cancelled (or “nulled”), leaving only what is different between the files. To my surprise, the result of the null test was dead silence. Listening to the two files from the computer resulted in both sounding indistinguishable from each other. It was a slightly clearer version of the “better” disc heard from the CD player. Whether commercial CD, “special” material or process CD or a fine CD-R, my experience has consistently been that extraction to computer and playback from there (as a raw PCM file in .aif or .wav format) gets me the true sound of the master."

BIG ED likes this.
  16. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

A belatED BIG thanks Barry.

17. guidedbyvoices

I respect Barry, but I find it insanely hard to believe that the SHM version of such a gritty noisy album will be noticeably different from the normal US cd. and isn't there a blu ray audio version of this mastering that should be the very best version of this new master?

18. RocketUSA

RocketUSA Forum Resident

Not a Blu-ray yet, I don't think? But the HDTracks is the same mastering, I do believe. I still think the MFSL CD is the best mastering I've heard of WL/WH.

19. guidedbyvoices

20. RocketUSA

RocketUSA Forum Resident

21. guidedbyvoices

For the first time in MONTHS amazon had this for under $60. $59 right now. I had a gift card so it finally was a reasonable price for me. Woohoo! Patience pays off !

RocketUSA likes this.
  22. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Best SQ for this title [any format]?
    BIG thanks.

23. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Dennis Drake mastered CD for the stereo mix IMO.

BIG ED likes this.
  24. RocketUSA

RocketUSA Forum Resident

Which is the Dennis Drake master? So far, the MFSL seems to be rated pretty highly...I myself would give that the edge over the 45th anniversary version.

25. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Drake is/was usually the first guy to master an album for cd.

I suppose he did a good job considering what he had to work with (the usual mid/late 80's problem of inferior sources/technology/etc), but I don't get the appeal.

Keep in mind that there is a big fan here of pretty much every mastering that's ever been released on any cd ever produced prior to about 1993...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.