The Yesterday film, yes or no?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MGSeveral, May 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

“I love my job”? Sounds like the piano teacher didn’t do her/his job!

2. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Why is that important?

3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I know the kid involved, he is really talented. He gets a 45-minute private lesson every week, plus a 3-hour group rehearsal, and one week was just in the mood to talk. It happens.

ARK likes this.
  4. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

I was just trying to be funny. I failed.

5. Chris DeVoe

If you want Hollywood to make more films about music for people of our age, the best thing you can do is show up and see them in the theater when they do make them. That's where they make most of their money. They make considerably less from home video. Once something appears on a streaming service like Netflix, it's basically the dregs.

MoonPool likes this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

Okay. I was just sharing something that I've seen - which is that the current generation of music fans are some of the most knowledgeable and enthusiastic music fans the world has ever known. When they get into an artist or band, they dive deep, they listen to everything, they read everything. And that applies 10 times for young musicians.

7. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

I saw the film and I liked it. It won't reveal anything, but there is a scene near the end of the movie with an appearance that made it worth my visit to the theater.

8. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

No. Your story was fine. My joke wasn’t. That’s all. Good story. Bad joke.

9. Chris DeVoe

Ah, ok.

I probably took it too personally because I know this man. He's a talented musician and a dedicated teacher, and making sure that a kid can can play the notes is only part of his job.

MoonPool and ARK like this.
  10. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

While I agree, not everyone likes going to the theatre for a movie experience. The comfort of home can be more appealing for some. Plus hollywood’s On a roll anyway in regards to films about music for people “our age”.

Upsiditus and Galactus2 like this.
  11. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

Plenty of young people like the Beatles too.

12. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Of course. The “our age” part was used in response to the previous poster who also used that term.

mercuryvenus and Exotiki like this.
  13. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

The trailer looks great. We'll go see it.

14. Chris DeVoe

One Hollywood goal is what they call a "four-quadrant" release - one that appeals to males and females under age 25, as well as males over 25 and females over 25.

People over 25 are the hardest group to get into the theaters.

ARK likes this.
  15. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

So everyone?

MoonPool likes this.
  16. Chris DeVoe

The purpose of industry jargon is definitely exclusionary. "Four-quadrant appeal" makes one sound insightful, while at saying "we want a movie to appeal to everyone" makes you sound like a rube.

17. hardknox

hardknox Forum Resident

I'm well aware of that. In responding to the initial question, my point is, I've already determined that this film is an entertainment experience for which I'm not interested in shelling out my hard-earned dollars. I don't mind waiting for two or three months until it arrives at the library. I care not one whit whether or not the filmmakers or the studio make money on it. :shrug:

Upsiditus and ARK like this.
  18. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

I think its well worth seeing. Just as long as you keep in mind its not a documentary bio-pic. Its a musical fantasy about his life using his songs. Quite why some of the choices were made the way they were I don't know, but mostly it worked very well and I enjoyed it. I think you probably will too :)

19. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

If you are gonna see it, here’s something to remember that will help you maximize your enjoyment

It is a love story in a world without the Beatles
    It is not a world without the Beatles featuring a love story

Best wishes to all seeing it. It’s a fun ride

20. Chris DeVoe

You're perfectly within your rights to feel that way, but the number one thing that I'm constantly hearing is "there's nothing in the theaters but superhero movies remakes and sequels." It's untrue, but the reason they stick with what they know makes money is it every time they try to make a film for grown ups... it plays for a week and then disappears. If you want to see something original in the theater in the future, support them when they produce something original now.

21. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Really enjoyed the film. Was totally disinterested in the premise until my 11-year-old nephew expressed unbridled enthusiasm for going to see it, so I took him and went in with little to no expectations and had a great time.

22. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

Now you're touching on something that's very relevant for people "of a certain age." I'm well over 50, and my buddy that I saw the film with is a tad over 60. Both of us agreed that it takes a special film to get us to actually go to a theatre. It's not the experience that it once was. Now you have to deal with self-important d-bags that want to sit and talk throughout the film, or constantly check their phones and/or text. It can be an ordeal.

So it's no surprise that the comfort of home, coupled with the rising quality of home theater, can be more appealing.

Having blathered all that^ I will say that both of us gray-haired Beatles fans really enjoyed it, and did not take it so seriously.

But I can certainly see where it's not necessarily for everyone.

Upsiditus likes this.
  23. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I loved it!

DK Pete, Chris DeVoe and jon9091 like this.
  24. fantgolf

fantgolf Forum Resident

My wife made me see it with her and I was surprised how much I enjoyed it.

DK Pete, jon9091 and andrewskyDE like this.
  25. Chris DeVoe

Perhaps the gorts could be persuaded to hide some of those spoilers inside of spoiler tags? I avoided spoiling it because I wanted other people to have the same magical moment, the same emotional event as I did. It was something that would make anyone who's ever loved a Beatles song get choked up and misty-eyed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.