Abbey Road 50th contents, outtakes and sound quality thread .. only

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiotom, Aug 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

I think somewhat randomly is what we will get, but we will get two per year, probably smaller sets. 2CD/1BR without a huge book, but a nice booklet about the sessions nonetheless. 2LP sets, too.

I could see Please Please Me with the full Decca Audition on CD2, With the Beatles with audio from the Washington DC show on CD2, A Hard Days Night with a few alt-takes and the movie's incidental music on CD2...then starting with Beatles for Sale we have more legit alternate takes for every album so that shouldn't be hard to make a bonus disc.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  2. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

Is this a half speed remaster? I can't find any info on what recent Beatles remaster are half speed?

3. KirkK

KirkK Senior Member

It’s an entirely new mix, not a remaster.

JediJoker likes this.
  4. Kristofferabild

Sorry, new mix then. But was this cut at half speed?

5. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

Yes, by Miles Showell at Abbey Road.

JediJoker and Kristofferabild like this.
  6. Kristofferabild

Thanks. Where did you see this?
    And White Album and Sct. Pepper as well?

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  7. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

My copy of Abbey Road 50th Anniversary has "Miles Abbey Road 1/2 Speed" in the deadwax.

JediJoker and Kristofferabild like this.
  8. Kristofferabild

Just checked my Sct. Pepper and White Album and you are indeed right! Both say "1/2 speed remastered"

9. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I've never seen this image before. I like it.

[​IMG]

10. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Real nice alternate shot of the pic sleeve shot for "Ballad Of..."...actually, quite nicer.

11. Haggischomper

Haggischomper Scottish AF

It just became the background on my phone. Lovely picture.

12. RockyMTnLeg Shaver

RockyMTnLeg Shaver Forum Resident

I am a fan of The Beatles (who isn't) but as I am only 40 years old it is not something I grew up with other than the songs on the radio or in movies. I think if you are also in that camp you will love the remixes of Abbey Road, as well as, the white album, and Sgt. Pepper's. I could see that if you have a long past with these albums that the recent remixes could be off-putting. I've read a lot of reviews on these (probably too many) and I think these re-issues are tastefully done, but modernized in spots. Not overwhelming so, but noticeable if you have a long history with the album. That seems to be somewhat the consensus. On the quality side, all the recent anniversary re-issues of The Beatles by Giles Martin are flat and dead quiet on my system. And most importantly when I put these on the turntable my wife smiles. Sometimes that's all you need.

13. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

I wish the band had done a photoshoot like this with Billy Preston for the Get Back single.

14. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Loved that line. No expert's negative review can give you one single reason that trumps that.

15. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Is the 3 lp box set pressed in a different plant than single lp? The answer is probably in this thread it's just too long to look through. Thanks

Lewisboogie likes this.
  16. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

This one's a bit odd. The US single LP was pressed by Quality. The UK single and 2 LP or 3 LP how ever described are pressed by Optimal (includes US version).

17. Psychedelic Good Trip

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 lp 2019 Giles Martin remix in snail mail today. Under $45.00 with shipping and tax, great price had to grab it.

18. I like that they didn’t list Her Majesty at the end of the main LP like the original.

19. Psychedelic Good Trip

Definitely.

Lewisboogie and Craig Slowinski like this.
  20. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I like "the Long One" where Her Majesty was reinserted. Kind of fun.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  21. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

Agree. If it’s not there I miss it.

22. Really? I think it was wise to put it at the end. It brings things to complete stop but it is cool of have both.

23. originalsnuffy

After all, Her Majesty is in fact a pretty nice girl. I have that on good authority.

Jayseph and ggjjr like this.
  24. Emmett.

Emmett. Active Member

I was wondering what the concensus was on the sound quality of outake/bonus vinyls? I have held off buying the single remixed album as I have read that its not maybe as good as the orginal album. I was disappointed with 50th Ann version of Pepper and this has made reticent about getting AR 5oth. But would maybe spring for the 3 disc version if outake discs were free from too much messing about.

DK Pete likes this.
  25. originalsnuffy

The AR remix for me is a more successful project than Sgt. Pepper's. It has a modern glossy sound, but doesn't seem unfamiliar like Sgt. P. The AR remix is more like the White Album in terms of its sound.

The more interesting question for Beatles people is how the Let it Be 50th will play out.

I would image a version of LIB that takes note of Paul's cues for how he envisioned matters with LIB Naked would be a great option. The song LIB for me does benefit from the orchestration and chorus; but keeping it subtle would be great. Long and Winding Road sounds just fine to me without the orchestration. When you get down to it; there are five key songs to this period. LIB, Long and Winding Road, Get Back, Don't Let Me Down, and Two of Us. Yes, I know that Don't Let Me Down was a single b-side but it really belongs on the anniversary disc.

A cleaned up rooftop concert will probably be the highlight of the new set. I still hope that a few cleaned up left-overs will be good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.