Aerosmith Album By Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rose River Bear, May 1, 2022.

1. Padre69

Padre69 Forum Resident

Pump was the original EU pressing, 9 Lives the 2010 one. My PV is also 1st UK pressing since I bought when it came out.

2. EgaBog

EgaBog The Dreadful Great

Hyped for Nine Lives!

Also, this thread just renewed my itch to buy Aerosmith's records on vinyl. The only album of theirs I own is "Devil's Got a New Disguise", which I got for my birthday. I intend on buying at least TITA, Rocks, RIAHP, PV and Pump. Depending on my new impressions, I may buy it too.

JSKC, Padre69, Mark7 and 1 other person like this.
  3. artieziff

artieziff Forum Resident

Have we talked about their SNL appearance? That was a milestone from a cultural and musical perspective. One of the best moments in SNL history was watching them on Wayne's World. I have the maxi single with the theme. And Tom Hanks was the guest and played the roadie!
    I recall taping it on vhs and watching it many, many times.

JSKC, whisper3978, bartels76 and 4 others like this.
  4. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

… someone shared a hilarious SNL spoof of their GAG ballads … assume you don’t mean that one?

but yep, high watermark in terms of cultural relevance

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Johnny Rock N' Roll

Johnny Rock N' Roll Forum Resident

I've started digging into Nine Lives but I'll save any comments until we official start talking about it. This officially marks the start of my huge Aerosmith blind spot. I haven't heard a note aside from the songs that got radio play, so I'm looking forward to seeing if there are any gems I have overlooked.

Going in with an open mind.

JSKC, The MEZ and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

For the most part I am checking out of thread now as don't have any of the albums from this point forward unless we decide to discuss the Texxas Jam or Video Scrapbook videos.

7. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

yep I also got off the bus after GAG. I did in fact more or less gag ...

so I’m curious to see how good / bad / ugly what came after it was … finally found a use for Spotify …!

I’ll try not to be too negative, but certainly on GAG, I’ll need to get my view off my chest and hope folks accept it’s expressed in good faith (and hey, I’ve been waiting 30 years to get that view off my chest)!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  8. Johnny Rock N' Roll

Whoops, I totally forgot we didn't do GAG yet before I jumped to Nine Lives ha. I will give that one a fresh listen too.

Also, I'm gonna start a playlist to add any 1997 and after Aerosmith tracks that I discover that I'm digging on. If I end up with at least a solid 10-song playlist across the albums, I'll consider it a win. Maybe there will be even more.

Matthew Tate and Doomster like this.
  9. StingRay5

StingRay5 Important Impresario

I bought Get a Grip when it came out, didn't like it much, got rid of it, haven't heard it since. 30 years later, I don't even remember why I didn't like it.

I have never heard Nine Lives, Just Push Play, or A Little South of Sanity.

But Honkin' on Bobo was a great return to form: dirty, nasty, joyous, bluesy Aerosmith for the first time since at least Done with Mirrors. It was a curious coincidence that it came out just one week after Clapton's Me and Mr. Johnson. Both were albums of classic blues covers by veteran rock artists, but they were polar opposites in attitude. Of the two, Bobo was a lot more fun.

10. artieziff

artieziff Forum Resident

Ah, no. This was Pump era. I'm lagging a little.
    They did if I recall "Elevator" and "Monkey on my back"

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

Not that, this...part of it was put on a promo cd Aerosmith - The Other Side .

12. Johnny Rock N' Roll

Hey, that's cool it was committed to disc. I was wondering about that.

I remember buying the "Livin' on the Edge" CD single with some non-album songs, I wonder if those tracks are on anything else now. Was there any kind of odds and sods thing done later, to collect soundtrack and b-sides stuff that came out post-Pandora's Box?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. EgaBog

EgaBog The Dreadful Great

I'm going retard, I meant Get a Grip. I always confound the two of them.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

Something we didn't cover from the PV era. A cover showing they could still rock old school style...The soundtrack was released in November 1987, PV in August, so I wonder if this was part of the PV sessions? Anyone know? If so, should it have gone on PV, maybe instead of "I'm Down"?

15. Johnny Rock N' Roll

That Less Than Zero soundtrack was pretty cool.

The soundtrack did not really fit the tone of the movie though, not that it matters at this point, ha.

Matthew Tate, elgoodo and Mark7 like this.
  16. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

This is included on the Box of Fire set which was released by Columbia. Was it licensed from Geffen or just an earlier track from the vaults used for the soundtrack?

Matthew Tate, Mark7 and Gus Tomato like this.
  17. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes Young Lust Anthology has a bunch of Geffen era B-Sides and remixes.

18. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

Good question....my impression is that it was recorded sometime in 1987, but yes, it was on a Columbia release! Maybe left over from the Done with Mirrors sessions?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I didn't realize this thread had already sailed past "Permanent Vacation" and "Pump", my two favorite Aerosmith albums. Not much to say except that both are brilliant, and "Janie's Got A Gun" is the best social commentary the band ever attempted, and succeeded at.

"Nine Lives" was nothing but a sonic mess. The band bragged that "Get A Grip" was the loudest album they had ever done at that point, but "Nine Lives" shows a loss of direction. They were just relying on the same formula that had worked for the previous Geffen albums. Makes me wonder how much David Geffen had his finger in it. Of course he did!

"Just Push Play", sounds like what several other of their contemporaries' albums tried to do, was update their sound with a little hip-hop flava. And, like their chart buddies def leppard and U2, it didn't work out too well with the fan base.

"Honkin' On Bobo" was an admirable attempt, but an artistic failure. They tried too hard.

As I recall, "A Little South Of Sanity" was nothing more than a bunch of concert footage thrown together. After their new contract with Columbia, it was nothing but compilations and concerts. I lost track. What is the last studio album they did, or am I jumping too far ahead for this thread?

20. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Discogs just says it was recorded for the Less Than Zero soundtrack.

Matthew Tate and Mark7 like this.
  21. Padre69

Padre69 Forum Resident

Slightly off topic, but not much:
    Could it be that Aerosmith was live at its best in 1990, after Pump?
    The 70’s were quite drug fueled. It feels like every gig I’ve seen or heard from the 70’s, Steven seems to be more or less in some kind of haze.
    In -90 the guys were only in their 40’s and full of energy and the gag ballads were nowhere in sight. Was Aerosmith livewise in its peak just after Pump?

DiabloG and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Personally, I preferred the Back In The Saddle Tour to the Permanent Vacation tour at least when I saw them.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

Technically, yes...but the 70s shows were much more "rock and roll" IMHO and therefore more enjoyable, but that's just me!

Gus Tomato and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

Where did you see them on the Saddle tour?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

1990 was close to peak