Anybody still go to record shows?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by evillouie, Jun 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

2. nedison

nedison Peter Blegvad's #1 Fan

My dad starting taking me along to record shows decades ago and they're where I fell in love with vinyl. The folks working the booths were always great at making recommendations based on what I was lugging under my arm.

My favorite comment: "Leo Kottke and The Residents!? That's the strangest combo I've seen in 40 years!" One of my finest hours.

There's one outside Minneapolis happening this weekend and if the temp gets up above -10, I'll do some more digging!

uzn007, lazydawg58 and Fender Relic like this.
  3. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

I used to attend the KUSF one in SF twice a year and always managed to find some good stuff. It's pretty easy to ignore the sellers that have the same old same old. Usually a large Beatles section filled with terrible condition US records for a small fortune and loads of the bootleg Let It Be's for sale. Then there is the few good sellers that specialize in certain genres like punk or jazz. That's usually where I go digging. Now I live in Sacramento and there is just one held in Davis, Ca that is pretty weak. Mostly overpriced classic rock but I have found a gem here and there. Last time I attended I got Bonnie Raitt's Luck of the Draw on DCC for $9 and an original Bong Load pressing of Odelay. Most of it sucks but the thrill of a record fair has never dissipated. Still the most fun.

Lightworker likes this.
  4. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Some great record shows around the Bay Area when I lived there in the 80's.
    I hardly ever missed the Castro Valley record meet on Sunday mornings.

5. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

Sunday in general works the same way. The show is in Charlotte on Saturday and Raleigh on Sunday. So they are heading home for a week or two before the next weekend shows. They want as little to pack back up as the they can and want as much cash as they can when they leave knowing no more will be coming in for a while.

Old Rusty likes this.
  6. lazydawg58

Just google record shows and there are a couple of sites that list them by state.

7. lazydawg58

This!

8. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I used to go years ago in the hay day before the raids scared a lot of the vendors away.

Since they've started up again, it's hit or miss. There are the occasional guys who have decent stuff that's collectable and desirable but about half the tables are crates of tightly packed records in no order at all.

If you can't bother to even alphabetize your records, I can't be bothered to dig through.

9. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I used to ask a friend of mine, who is sort of a hoarder/flea mkt. guy, how he got such great stuff at reasonable prices. His answer....the fat possum runs late at night.

10. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

hello - (applecorp from ebay)

11. lazydawg58

There are also resellers that just don’t even mess with online selling. The biggest seller at the shows I go to is cash only and nothing online.

uzn007 likes this.
  12. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

I had some great years going to the Denver record fair (some years as a buyer, most I'd get a table) found quite a number of things I've never seen. The best price per value was a green vinyl copy of juliette & the licks "four on the floor" for $6. It fetches $200-300, but my favorite was a top mono copy of aretha "I never loved a man..." for $5

Only got to go to the St. Louis show twice (once I got a table to sell off a couple collections I bought and to thin the herd) and once as a buyer. Got a few scores but nothing as nice as the 2 I mentioned from Denver, most just decent condition commons for a few bucks like the misprint of joni mitchell clouds, green label pet sounds and mandrill is

Records shows are fun, but like others say it's nice to rent a table and cull the herd and then you get in early and get first crack at the sellers next to you, I've never had an experience where I didn't have my table paid for. I usually price to sell and throw a few rare items out there with a high price and they sometimes go anyways but never price anything for less than you would be happy to take for it

lazydawg58 likes this.
  13. lazydawg58

The random digging is half the fun.

Thesmellofvinyl and phillyal1 like this.
  14. lazydawg58

My only complaint is my back and knee pain after a couple of hours crawling around on the floor with the $1 bins.:yikes:

troggy and Fender Relic like this.
  15. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

I never had a good experience. Too many people crowded into some hotel conference room trying to look at overpriced albums.

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  16. AppleCorp3

Hello to you!

Christian Hill likes this.
  17. AppleCorp3

It's true! But I don't enjoy it at the shows. At some of the stores I go to, I'll dig through 45s for hours!

troggy and lazydawg58 like this.
  18. lazydawg58

I like both, but i’ve Found that there are less of the trash condition and 0 value at the shows so I like them for that aspect and the thrift shop, yard sale digs for the unexpected gem found amongst the junk.

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  19. lazydawg58

Almost all overpriced records eventually find their way to the $1-3 bins. Patience my friend. :edthumbs:

phillyal1 likes this.
  20. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I went to one yesterday, for the first time in years. Found some great 45s.

21. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I've long wanted to attend Utrecht. Done the WFMU show in NY a number of times- it is a really good show. Also the Austin Record show a number of times. I treat record shows like I treat brick & mortar stores- I rarely find what is on my 'list' but try to be opportunistic about what is there. Sometimes, I see the grail records at shows, but the prices are crazy--I think you can do better buying online.
    I burn out after a few hours- I know some folks can start at the crack of dawn and hang in there til closing each day.
    I think the real action is pre-show, when the vendors are setting up and trading among themselves, and of course, toward the end of the last day, when some vendors would rather not schlep the records home if they can sell them at a price.
    Someday, there will be a food revolution at the record shows. I know people don't go for the food, but you need something to nourish you during those hours of deep diving the bins. How about a nice boiled hot dog?

22. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Those are smart people. Selling stuff online was fabulous when the world was partying like it's 1999 but has become more trouble than it's worth.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  23. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

They had the annual one in town this weekend but I didn't attend. And I haven't attended since 2014. While I enjoy the record show experience I don't really need anything at this point in my life. Plus I'm a Dad now and shouldn't be wasting money (as if). And when I do need something I'd rather just hit eBay instead of rummaging for hours in crates and boxes for something I'll never find.

While I miss the thrill of the hunt, I don't miss getting bumped into over and over again by musty smelling old men (present company excluded, of course). Last time I went to a show some nut nearly knocked me an some other guy over as he charged a table at top speed.

I'm sure the show is going just fine without me. The young people are hip to it now. I have plenty of memories and Beach Boys bootleg concert videos on VHS to last a lifetime.

24. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Absolutely just went to one that is every month close by and got some really good vinyl at a good prices.

Thesmellofvinyl and uzn007 like this.
  25. Bocajoe

Bocajoe Forum Resident

Thanksgiving weekend at the Oaks convention center.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.