Black Sabbath - 2012 LP Boxset

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Deuce66, Nov 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingofstoneage

kingofstoneage Forum Resident

YES, i would say!

motorcitydave likes this.
  2. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Cool! :cool:

3. spacelord

spacelord Forum Resident

Totally agree about the inner sleeve's a real let down on quality.
    Spaceship label on master is just wrong.
    Sound wise very good,better then the Rhino reissues but only just.
    If you want Sabbath on vinyl and haven't got UK first presses or the Rhino versions this is well worth the money

4. luxen

luxen Forum Resident

Hi@all!

I hunted these 4 wonderful LPs down and it took me a long time.
    They are all German 1st- pressings on the famous SWIRL-label and all 4 in NM/EX-condition.
    I know that the UK 1st-pressings sound slightly better, but cost at least 2x or 3x as much...:) .

Also, I have the RHINO-REs of S/T, Master, Vol. 4 and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.

IMHO, my German SWIRLS sound absolutely fantastic and they beat the Rhinos easily.
    The Rhinos are fine, but when you hear a UK-1st or these German SWIRLS in comparison, your jaw will drop to the floor
    in terms of bottom-end, soundstage, dynamics and SHEER power of the sound.

Will the new set be better than my SWIRLS??? I doubt it, since the SWIRLS (either UK or German) are all-analoque...

Sabotage and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath I have on German spaceship 1st -pressings...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. supernaut

supernaut Forum Resident

Can I have dinner at your house?!

moofassa_ca likes this.
  6. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

As long as you wash the dishes.

7. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

When it comes to Sabbath, I just don't enjoy the reissues. I have some rhinos and nems, and I prefer my original pressings. Today I found SBS on Canadian WB label, white with faded WB logos all around. I've never seen this variant of label, I usually see the white WB label with the lines going through it. I have to say I am very happy with the sound of this LP, I prefer it to my nems and the rhino. The nems is to high end, and the rhino sounds like there is cotton between my ears and the speakers, like I'm not hearing the full power of the sound.

Last week I received my Paranoid UK spaceship LP and I love the sound, never heard it sound that good before. I also have the self titled Fontana label from Australia arriving tomorrow, it's the 1st press with laminated sleeve.

8. kingofstoneage

It's done!

I have listened to all nine LPs of the boxset and i'm glad that all of them are in good shape with no pressing defects.

Sound is fantastic!

The digital files also sound very good!:D

I compared it with my latest CD Editions (Universal 2011).

9. luxen

luxen Forum Resident

Can you compare any of them with an "old" vinyl?

10. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

11. Vinyl Fan 1973

Just got my Fontana 1st press of the debut, and all I can say is wow. I've never heard a version this good.

12. kingofstoneage

yesterday i sold all my "old" pressings to a friend, because the new pressings are perfect for me.

but i have to say my older pressings were no first-pressings, from the 70s.

so i couldn't do a definitive testing.......if you have first-pressings keep them and be satisfied!!!!!!

13. luxen

luxen Forum Resident

King,

thank you.

I am tempted to click the "buy"-button...LOL

14. luxen

luxen Forum Resident

1st-pressings don´t necessarily sound "better"...maybe more "analogue", but not always "better".

I have to say that Ilove the "digital" sound of the "BLACK SABBATH - THE BLACK BOX".

The 2009-CDs are also sounding fantastic.

15. luxen

luxen Forum Resident

@robtodd

What´s your point?

I asked if he is able to compare the new LPs with VINYLs. He just said that he compared them to "his latest CD-versions"...so...????

16. Small Fish

Small Fish Forum Resident

So does this box replicate the original swirl labels and inner sleeves of the first 4 albums?

17. luxen

luxen Forum Resident

Nope.

18. Small Fish

Small Fish Forum Resident

That's a shame. When I think of Black Sabbath I think of Vertigo! I'll stick with my original swirls I think!

19. luxen

luxen Forum Resident

Any more reviews???

20. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

I asked the question "no crackles/rice krispies?" but manged to insert it in the body of the post rather than afterwards.

Anyway the question has been answered. His set is a good one which he is happy with.

Cheers.

21. luxen

luxen Forum Resident

Cheers.

22. Vinyl Fan 1973

Just curious, has anyone here heard a copy of the debut album on the Australian Fontana label? I want to know how it compares to the vertigo. I think the fontana sounds amazing.

23. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I'm waiting for my box to show via Amazon.de. It shipped over a week or so ago, but has been stuck in "on route to destination country" for 10 days now. I have to be patient, since the last time I ordered a box set of vinyl from Amazon Germany (because the price was so low), the box showed up over a month after it shipped. In the meantime, I complained to Amazon.de prior to my original shipment arriving, so they sent me another - which I had to send back to them or get charged twice. A pain to be sure, so in this case I will wait until the middle of January 2013 before I start to worry about whether by Sabbath box is lost.

24. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

I can't imagine these sounding as good as the original pressings seeing as they come from digital masters. Surely it would be cheaper to track down original UK pressings with the price of this new box set?

25. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

some of the prices I've seen on EIL.com would say otherwise - 1st run original near mint UK pressings go for a tidy sum of $$$

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.