Bob Dylan: "Trouble No More 1979 - 1981" - The Bootleg Series Vol. 13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 24, 2015.

1. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Everybody's different, but I was for me, listening to the original albums (and whatever bootleg recordings I have from the period) put me in the right frame of mind.

2. Psychedelic Sounds

Psychedelic Sounds Forum Resident

Bob Dylan in top holy spirit filled form
    The gospel backing singers
    Spooner Oldham on organ

You would have to be a committed atheist to not like this if you are Bob Dylan fan.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    warewolf95, Spencer R, enro99 and 8 others like this.
  3. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Wrong.

warewolf95 and Lewisboogie like this.
  4. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I loooove the Dylan vocal and emotion ...just everything about “Pressing On” ...SF 1979 Disc 2

Cranking this set again now. Listened to Disc 1, and 2 tonight from the deluxe box.

Looking forward to #14 ...thought I’d revisit this set.

Loved it upon release. Love it even more now.

Mr. Explorer, NUNZI, SteveFff and 2 others like this.
  5. Psychedelic Sounds

I like the way 'Pressing On' builds up.

warewolf95, Clanceman and MRamble like this.
  6. Psychedelic Sounds

I will have to get the Deluxe Edition.

7. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Some say “controversial” period.

I say...a phenomenal period. The most uniquely engaging of the box sets for me.

The band, vocals, emotion, Dylan conviction - so powerful.

Just a phenomenal box. Grateful they honored this special period.

“Cutting Edge” (standard deluxe) & this one...are my favorites.

8. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

I guess that's me. :shrug:

I like the performances and musicianship ok, but the lyrics are awful. I've never liked Slow Train Coming or Saved, and BL 13 just doesn't have enough from Shot of Love (the strongest of the trilogy) worth listening to. I'm glad it's been released and listen to it a little, but just don't connect with it.

I like Christmas in the Heart though, so take what I say with a grain of salt (sand) :wiggle:

Man at C&A and Mr. Explorer like this.
  9. MarkAJ

MarkAJ Forum Resident

Although I'm not a believer, two of my musical icons are Bob Dylan and Johann Sebastian Bach.
    It's not great music because I believe what they're saying; it's great because they do.

poolie, enro99, Tom Daniels and 6 others like this.
  10. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I’m a “believer,” ...that appreciates this assessment.

As I stated in my post above, there’s something to be said about Dylan “convicted.” There’s an emotion that comes out in his performance that’s so powerful.

So much of what makes him great is that conviction in his lyrics, then the delivery of it all in performance.

I value this with any artist.

Crazy when I hear some criticize a popular artist for being “too political,” as to not be divisive.

What I believe politically doesn’t matter, but I can’t imagine Eddie Vedder without his political rage. Same with CSN&Y, + many others.

I love the Stones, Beatles, Van Halen...ha, and Stryper.

What powers the music & evokes the emotion that make them (to me) good to great to legendary is all different.

Bob Dylan is, was, and always will be on another level in popular music history.

Arguably the greatest solo artist since the aforementioned Johann Sebastian Bach.

Wonderful post, sir.

warewolf95, dee, iloveguitars and 7 others like this.
  11. Psychedelic Sounds

I realise that some people won't like the music (especially the lyrics) from Bob Dylan's 'gospel years.'
    But I think Bob Dylan fans should at least give it a chance.

12. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I really do hope you get the deluxe set.

9 discs of bliss (including the Trouble No More film)

I’m confident, based on what you’ve posted...you’ll be incredibly moved by the outtakes & unreleased material in complete on Discs 3 & 4, along with both live shows:
    I prefer London slightly ...but both are fantastic.

13. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

It's not iconic or anything, but I love the singing of "west ... of the Jordan" over and over after Groom had seemed ready to fade out. They could have gone on for a few more minutes, actually.

14. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

I can't recall whether this was ever posted here - my memory is so bad these days I probably did it myself! Anyway, here is a link to a Route Blog podcast you can download of Clinton's talk last year which includes, apparently, some recordings (raps, I think) not on BS 13:-

Bob Dylan’s Gospel Years With Clinton Heylin : Route Online

Click "download" and then right click, "save audio as.."

#

15. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

After listening to this LP earlier today.....I got religion! I'm sure anything else I listen to today will pale in comparison. However,perhaps this is the catalyst I need to open my Trouble No More deluxe. It's right beside me, right now.

[​IMG]

MRamble likes this.
  16. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Nice! Have you tried this?

Spadeygrove and Fender Relic like this.
  17. Fender Relic

Yep, at this point I have most of their early catalogue. Thanks for sharing, that tremolo guitar is stunning.

18. Fender Relic

OK,I'm in, opened and loaded. Slow Train....Fred Tackett's guitar and Bob's vocals....OMG. :yikes:

Looks like I'll be serving something the rest of the day. Praise The Lord and pass the Pressing On.

streetlegal, MRamble and highway like this.
  19. E_Braunn_Fan

E_Braunn_Fan Forum Resident

Just pulled the trigger on the big box this morning since I had a $45 Amazon gift card balance after canceling my Electric Lady Land 50th box last week. Been on the fence about getting the box since it came out, but I really love the 2 CD set.

Currently it's only $90 on Amazon and that price was just too good to pass up.

20. Fender Relic

Just got thru disc one. Slow Train kickin' off disc two. This is more like a bullet train leaving scorched earth behind. My hat just blew off in the ditch as it passed by.

21. Peter M

Peter M Forum Resident

Agree.

The second Slow Train is stunning. The intensity of Dylan’s voice and Tackett’s guitar solos and the driving rhythm section create the momentum of a train moving down the track.

FWIW, after months of listening to the live tracks, I have concluded this album features my favorite live Dylan.

Fender Relic and joelee like this.
  22. I hope everyone can track down the exclusive 2-CD bonus set that was included on BobDylan.com orders. I don't know what I would have done without hearing it. It's as good as anything on the main set.

jay.dee likes this.
  23. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

is there an ideal way to pick up a copy?

Hep Alien and TheLoveDrags like this.
  24. windfall

windfall Senior Member

My own favourite from this set is when Bob takes the request for "Solid Rock", the stage patter and the performance. Goes off like a bomb.

Fender Relic likes this.
  25. E_Braunn_Fan

E_Braunn_Fan Forum Resident

The big box is no longer available through Amazon and on back order on both ImportCDs and DeepDiscount. Looks like it is going to possibly be OOP soon.

Glad I finally picked it up yesterday.

Fender Relic likes this.