DCC Archive DCC on vinyl???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Unknown, Oct 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unknown

Unknown Guest Thread Starter

Steve... do you will continue do LPs? Can you explain me, what Kevin Gray's job or what he does during the mastering process on vinyl? Thanks... and greetings from Germany. I'm sure you know who I am ;)

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Kevin Gray is the technician who runs the cutter. The one who choses lines per inch, broove depth, pitch, etc. He has been doing it since 1972 when he still was in high school. He cut the original lacquers back them of The Doors "Soft Parade", "Morrison Hotel" and scores of other famous records.... He is the only cutter I ever would use...

LP's lose money, but we will still do some..

3. Steve Hoffman

That is "groove depth" of course. Time for beddy-bye.

4. Unknown

Steve, does Kevin have some form of "signature" in the dead wax?

(You wouldn't use Stan???) ;)

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Er, it must be *really* late for you, Steve, as those two albums came out in 69/70, respectively...

BTW, you can edit your own posts if you want. Just click on the little icon that has a piece of paper and a pencil.

6. Steve Hoffman

Yes, it should have been 1968. Very tired last night..

7. Steve Hoffman

Forgot. Usually Kevin signs "Kevin & Steve" in the deadwax. Sometimes the date...

8. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Yes, different combinations, sometimes. Kevin does a wonderful job. I'm kinda sad that the LP strains the DCC bank account :(
    The pride that does into that deadwax isn't unfounded. They both make a great team, and it shows everytime. A rare happening.

9. Unknown

Must...resist temptation...to make Phil/Ronnie joke... :p

10. Sckott

Ah, Instant Karma gonna git you, Patman. [​IMG]

11. Steve Hoffman

Yes you sillies, that was the idea. Phil & Ronnie always sounded like two guys (unless you knew who Veronica was), so Kevin & I wanted to do the same. I wanted him to sign it Kevyn & Steve but he wouldn't go that far.

Just some stupid stuff one does when locked up in a little room cutting refs all day... ;)

12. Unknown

Does your wife know about this?

13. Sckott

Vinyl and two guys locked up in a room etching their names permanently into laquers. Oh, that's love.

Steve, does poor Kevin make several straight attempts at the lathe, or is he usually a one shot guy?

(Hoo boy.) :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.