Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

The title track is one that I always skip (which is a rarity as far as Elvis music goes for me). It seems like the entire song is one long monotonous chant comprised of a single word. Absolutely terrible.

I Don't Wanna Be Tied is pretty fluffy and rock-lite, and it's not a song that I ever say, "Hey, I'd like to hear that right now!", but I do enjoy it whenever I play it.

mark winstanley likes this.
  2. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

I like I Don't Want To Be Tied too. I guess it was originally submitted for Kid Galahad and rejected.

3. Daven23

Daven23 Forum Resident

He sang it at least once late in his career 76-77 don’t remember the exact show date. But the version was pretty terrible, It seemed like it wasn’t rehearsed and a spur of the moment type thing they played so it deserves some slack

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  4. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Yes indeed, I think that you referring to the sample @PacificOceanBlue posted and we both think it was probably a spur of the moment fan request as it sounds pretty unrehearsed.

5. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

The irony is that as lackluster as it is, the off-the-cuff performance of "Return To Sender" is more inspired than the majority of the standard set-list from the 1976 period.

6. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

7. mark winstanley

8. mark winstanley

9. mark winstanley

10. mark winstanley

I Don't Want To
    Written By :
    Janice Tarre & Fred Spielman

Recorded :

Radio Recorders, Hollywood, March 26-29, 1962 : March 26, 1962. take 3

Here we have a gentle country/crooner style song. The start almost sounds like a sitar, but I think there's just a little fret buzz going on.
    The chord arrangement is quite beautiful and Elvis puts in a very controlled and beautiful vocal. We get a key modulation just over halfway through.
    A really nice mellow song.
    Personally I find the first half of the is album at least, to be very good, but I am guessing I'm close to being on my own with that :).

11. mark winstanley

12. mark winstanley

13. mark winstanley

14. mark winstanley

We'll Be Together
    Written By :
    Charles O'Curran & Dudley Brooks

Recorded :

Radio Recorders, Hollywood, March 26-29, 1962 : May 23, 1962. take 11

This track starts with a really nice acoustic guitar run and moves into a really nice Latin American swing. It still amazes me that in the early sixties Elvis had a ton of stuff drawing from these influences. My knowledge of the period isn't good enough to know if this was common, but certainly Elvis seemed to really like the styling of this music and did a very good job of putting it across. The backing vocals on this track are by "The Amigos", and again I am unsure if they are a specific vocal group or just a name that comes from studio sessions, as these things do.
    This is a nice uptempo love song that has a really cool feel and, for me at least, adds a little spice to this album. For me this is another good song on this album, which, again, to me, is better than some seem to feel..... but that's not unusual, I am a bit of a weirdo :)

Iceman08 likes this.
  15. mark winstanley

A Boy Like Me, A Girl Like You
    Written By :
    Roy C. Bennett & Sid Tepper

Recorded :

Radio Recorders, Hollywood, March 26-29, 1962: March 27, 1962. take 5
    Here we have a love song through and through. Starting off with a slow and gentle feel, with the "ooo, ooo " backing vocals often associated with these type of love songs. It is a very nicely arranged song and gets a little semi-Latin percussion that again just gives it a little more. The recording and arrangement of this track are really extremely good.

16. mark winstanley

Easy reference guide
    1959 home recording
    - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Feb 23 1960
    Touch Of Gold Vol 3 EP

Mar 23 1960
    Stuck on you Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Fame And Fortune Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Apr 6 1960
    Elvis Is Back
    track 1 Make Me Know It Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Fever Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Girl Of My Best Friend Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 I Will Be Home Again Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Dirty Dirty Feeling Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Thrill Of Your Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Soldier Boy Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Such A Night Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 It Feels So Right Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Girl Next Door Went a Walkin' Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Like A Baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Reconsider Baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

May 12 1960
    Elvis - Frank Sinatra show

Jul 5 1969

It's Now Or Never Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Mess O' Blues Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Oct 1 1960
    GI Blues
    track 1 Tonight Is So Right For Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 What's She Really Like Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Frankfort Special Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Wooden Heart Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 GI Blues Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Pocket Full Of Rainbows Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Shoppin' Around Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Big Boots Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Didja Ever Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Blues Suede Shoes (revisited) Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Doin' The Best I Can Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 1 1960
    Are You Lonesome Tonight Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Live 1972 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    I Gotta Know Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 23 1960
    His Hand In Mine
    track 1 His Hand In Mine Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 I;m Gonna Walk Dem Golden Stairs Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 In My Fathers House Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Milky White Way Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Known Only To Him Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 I Believe In The Man In The Sky Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Joshua Fit The Battle Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 He Knows Just What I Need Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Swing Down Sweet Chariot Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Mansion On the Hilltop Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 If We Never Meet Again Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Working On The Building Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Feb 7 1961
    Surrender Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Lonely Man Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

March 25 1961
    Pearl Harbour Concert - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

April 21 1961
    Flaming star EP
    track 1 Flaming Star Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Summer Kisses Winter Tears Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Are You Lonesome Tonight Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 It's Now Or Never Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

May 2 1961
    I Feel So Bad Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Wild In The country Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

May 19 1961
    Something For Everybody
    track 1 There's Always Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Give Me The Right Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 It's A Sin Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Sentimental Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Starting today Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Gently Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 I'm Comin' Home Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 In your Arms Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Put The Blame On Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Judy Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 I Want You With Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 I Slipped I Stumbled I Fell Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

August 8 1961
    His Latest Flame Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Little Sister Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

October 20 1961
    Blue Hawaii
    track 1 Blue Hawaii Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Almost always True Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Aloha Oe Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 No More Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Can't help Falling in love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Rock a-hoola baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Moonlight Swim Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Ku'uipo Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Ito Eats Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Slicin' Sand Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Hawaiian Sunset Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Beach Boy blues Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 13 Island Of Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 14 Hawaiian Wedding Song Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

November 21 1961
    Can't help falling in Love/Rock-a-Hula Baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

February 27 1962
    Good Luck Charm Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Anything That's A Part Of You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

April 1962
    Follow That Dream EP
    track 1 Follow That Dream Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Angel Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 What a Wonderful Life Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 I'm Not The Marrying Kind Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

June 5 1962
    Pot Luck
    track 1 Kiss Me Quick Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Just For Old Time Sake Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Gonna Get back home Somehow Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 (such an) Easy question Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Steppin' Out Of Line Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 I'm Yours Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Something Blue Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Suspicion Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 I Feel That I've Known you Forever Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Night Rider Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Fountain Of Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 That's Someone You Never Forget Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

July 17 1962
    She's Not You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Just Tell her Jim Said Hello Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

August 28 1962
    Kid Galahad EP
    track 1 King Of The Whole Wide World Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 This Is Living Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Riding The Rainbow Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Home Is Where The Heart Is Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 I Got Lucky Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 A Whistling Tune Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

October 2 1962
    Return To Sender Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Where Do You Come From Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

November 9 1962
    Girls Girls Girls
    track 1 Girls Girls Girls Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 I Don't Wanna Be Tied Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Where Do you Come From Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 I Don't Want To Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 We'll Be Together Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 A Boy Like Me, A girl Like You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

17. mark winstanley

18. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Generally speaking, I enjoy the silly soundtrack songs far more than I enjoy the ballads. At least the former tend to be upbeat, whilst songs like I Don't Want To and A Boy Like Me, A Girl Like You just plod along. We'll Be Together is better, but the start-stop arrangement kills any momentum that it builds up.

The soundtrack gets much better from here on out, imo!

19. Ace24

Ace24 Forum Resident

Yes, Elvis brings out his rock voice for just a little fire around 1:25. Well there ain't nothin' I conceal...

20. mark winstanley

Earth Boy
    Written By :
    Roy C. Bennett & Sid Tepper

Recorded :

Radio Recorders, Hollywood, March 26-29, 1962 : March 28, 1962. take 9

This is such an unusual song, or it seems to me at least. We have essentially a semi country, semi oriental traditional, love song, and Elvis phrasing the wirds as though he isn't fluent in English.
    The song is actually very sweet, and certainly not bad, just a little unusual. One can only assume, having not seen the movie, that he gets a crush on a Japanese girl.

DirkM likes this.
  21. mark winstanley

22. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

I agree; it's quite unlike any other Elvis song, and it's very melodically appealing. The lyrics are silly, but they've never bothered me, probably because Elvis' vocal is so convincing. I doubt that any other singer would have been able to sell it so effectively. It's a track that I have a lot of time for.

23. SKATTERBRANE

Here is the scene. If you look up Ginny Tiu (the older of the two in this scene, the younger is Elizabeth) on YouTube you will see she was a child prodigy pianist. Here two sisters and brother also were musicians and they formed a band. Their talent rivals The Jackson Five and The Osmonds, and certainly her individual musicianship tops the all. Because Ginny Tiu had prior commitments her sister Vicky was cast in It Happened At The World's Fair. I am pretty sure it is Chinese.

24. SKATTERBRANE

Here is but one adorable TV appearance, even younger than when she was in the Elvis movie. She played for Presidents!

NumberEight and mark winstanley like this.
  25. SKATTERBRANE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.