Hendrix "Axis: Bold as Love" Alternate Mix?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by paulg61, Oct 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member Thread Starter

Anyone know if the Red Polydor Label CD that has Cat #813572-2 on the CD and Artwork, (on the back cover it says printed in West Germany,however on the CD itself it says made in uk) the alternate mix?.

PS this title should say "Bold as Love" but the wife is gone tonight and my 2 kids are driving me crazy tonight!

SinnerSaint likes this.
  2. child of nature

child of nature dreaming, more or less

I'll fix the typo for ya! :wave:

SinnerSaint likes this.
  3. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Can someone recap what the differences in the mix are?

I read that Hendrix forgot side 1 in a taxi and had to remix. Did the lost mix eventually show up and is the different mix you are talking about?

Thanks.

4. namahealani

namahealani Forum Resident

The 813 572-2 Axis is the alternate mix.
    To me it sounds very much like the mono 180/200 gram vinyl, except for the bum note in Little Wing, which was obviously corrected on the vinyl because you can hear a drum overdub right at the exact spot.
    It doesn't have the "psychedelic" intro to You Got Me Floating, neither does the mono LP.
    My theory is they used the twin track tape, that was used to make the mono lp, for that cd release. Just a guess.

SinnerSaint and raphph like this.
  5. child of nature

child of nature dreaming, more or less

A basic track without the overdubbed guitar effects circulates, and Kathy Etchingham found some Axis tapes, which were auctioned by Sotheby's in 1981; however I am not sure about proper CD releases. Chris M would be an authority on this!

As pig whisperer related, Hendrix did lose the tapes for side one of the album. From McDermott's Jimi Hendrix: Sessions: "He went off to a party and took the masters with him. Coming back, he left one of the boxes in a taxi. It was all scheduled for release! So we rang up Eddie and went into Olympic the next night and mixed the entire A side of the album again, all in one night." (Chas Chandler)
    Hendrix was pretty upset because the album had been mixed beautifully.

EDIT: Looks like namahelani's got the info!

6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

You'd think the cab driver knowing he had driven a rock superstar around who left the tape behind would have contacted him, and returned the tapes? Perhaps he did but it was too late.

7. ricks

ricks Senior Member

SinnerSaint likes this.
  8. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Believe it or not, there were many people then who thought a tape of rock music was not something the world needed to hear.

9. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I'm not sure what you mean by "psychedlic" intro. Is it a seperate piece at the beginning? I have a Japan P33P version and that songs seems to just start, but has sound effects with the music. This version is 2:41 in length.

Thanks. It seems that the one I have is different from the P20P.

10. namahealani

It's about a 5 second piece that switches from speaker to speaker, sounds a little like backwards guitar effects. Then the regular music to the song begins. It's on the stereo vinyl too and the Reprise cd.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  11. paulg61

Thanks
    Is there a difference between the 813 572-2 W German and the 813 572-2 UK?
    (Both Polydor red labels?)

12. namahealani

I once had the UK 813 572-2 and I think it also was the "alternate" mix. I only have the West German version now.

13. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Thanks. I don't have that on my copy. I haven't heard the vinyl in so many years that I can't remember that part.

14. paulg61

Thanks - maybe thats why you got rid of it? - if it was the same as the W german.?

15. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

I was really going to ask you about something related to this album, so there's no need for an extra thread.
    My US copy of the remaster came with a booklet with liner notes and lyrics. I'm not sure if it was done on purpose, but there are 4 missing song lyrics on it. Is that all right or a misprint?
    thanks

16. namahealani

I have the first issue Reprise Axis. It has a 12 pg booklet with all 13 songs' lyrics. The pages are numbered. Are you missing any page numbers? Which reissue do you have? CD or vinyl?

17. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

If you mean the Experience Hendrix version of Axis that was an error and you could have sent your booklet in for a corrected one.
    I bought it on release and had the error booklet but never bothered to get a replacement.

18. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Excellent point.

Things have changed quite a bit. Now dads and moms joke about their kids becoming rock stars.

When I started pursuing it in the late sixties my parents took grief for it .Bless them.

Now it's an honorable goal,like being a football player or something.
    Back then I was treated like carny trash. :)

The cab driver probably had no clue who Jimi was, and if he did he thought he was doing his ears and the world a favor by throwing the box in the river or something.

19. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I don't think anyone knows what the story is behind that alternate stereo mix of Axis. I have no idea when/where/why it was done or where it first turned up. Odd that we don't know more about it. It isn't the side one mix Jimi left in a cab. That has never turned up anywhere.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The producers of the Live and Unrelased Radio Show a/k/a Lifelines mention that a few (or at least one) of the rare Axis miixes contained in that set appear to be from the lost original master mix reel.

Chris, do you recall seeing that mention? If so, they might have gotten some of that back in higher generation sources, but I don't know. Seems like Eddie Kramer was quoted, no?

I am at a job right now so I can't pull the set from the vault right at this moment.

21. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Just as a follow up to therockman's comments on this thread from a few years ago: My P33P Japan for Japan definitely has the alternate mix. I just did a quick double-check and confirmed. Easiest way to tell was listen for flubbed guitar note at 1:04 into Little Wing.

I really like the sound on this one!

Burningfool and SinnerSaint like this.
  22. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I do not have an original mono LP of this album but I do have the Classic Records reissue. Curiously, this mono mix is closer to the "alternate" stereo mix that apparently first appeared in 1973. There is no backwards intro on "You Got Me Floating" and the phasy vocals on "Little Wing", for example.

So for whatever reason, the stereo mix most of us are familiar with seems to be the 2nd mix prepared. We don't know if the tapes were really lost or if a last-minute creative decision was made but two stereo mixes exist. It would then be possible that someone pulled the wrong tape and sent a dub to Europe for those 1973 LP releases and the same copy was used to produce the 80s CDs in Germany and Japan.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  23. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Yes it is a good one. Alternate mix aside it may be the best sounding Hendrix on CD?

Rick

24. Claudio Dirani

Oh, it's de compact disc, the 1997's remaster to be precise.
    Thanks

25. Claudio Dirani

Yeah, it's the Experience Hendrix version. As I bought it here as an import, it didn't occured to me I could get a replacement. But thanks for the reply. Now I see it was indeed a misprint. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.