How Many are for Rehashing Cassettes?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Sep 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Got an email from Soundohm today:

Stefan Weisser, Wordworks 1975-1982

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"No words can capture the seminal importance of Stefan Weisser later known as Z’EV. He is an artist without equivalent or parallel - entirely singular within the history of 20th century music, bridging and creating a diverse number of creative and musical fields, sculpting a body of work which resembles nothing before or since. Forever dedicated to pluming unknown depths, Z’EV’s rigorous independence and resistance to categorisation has been a blessing and curse - gathering a deep respect by almost everyone who has encountered his output, yet often sinfully overlooked. The Milan based imprint Blume, hot on the heals of their brilliant reissues of Bruce Nauman’s Soundtrack From First Violin Film and Jocy de Oliveira’s Estórias Para Voz, Instrumentos Acústicos e Eletrônicos, returns with an effort to remedy this injustice - an incredible seven cassette box set comprised of archival recordings made by Z’EV during one his most creatively fruitful periods, stretching between the mid-1970’s and the early 80’s."

Stefan weisser - Wordworks 1975-1982 (7xTapes box) - Soundohm

So I was thinking. I'd like to hear this. And look at the packaging, they've really gone all out. But Cassette tape?!? No. Just no. Personally it looks like they sacrificed practicality, for an aesthetic, to be authentic to the music. Which for me is a step too far.

I know Radiohead used a Cassette recently. Don't know if this is going to be a trend. I had some Cassette's back in the day, and I remember most the hiss.

What say you? Anyone adopting Cassette?

Psychedelic Good Trip and ispace like this.
  2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

They were part of my childhood, but I have no real affection for them.

I'm nostalgic but not that nostalgic.:)

3. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Lots of bands are putting out cassettes these days.

4. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Senior Member

"Hey, does anyone miss how inconvenient and terrible-sounding cassettes were? Me too!"

But, hey, to each his own.

5. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

How have so many not read or at least seen the countless "Are cassettes making a comeback?" threads of the last 6 years?

905, mr.datsun, John Grimes and 8 others like this.
  6. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Other than the nostalgia that comes from good memories of listening to and dubbing cassettes as a kid/teenager, I don't miss them at all. Not ONE bit.

7. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Nope, and I don't miss trying to unspool a bird's nest of my favorite music out of my tape deck in the dash either.

8. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Is this a cassette only release?? If so, yeah that's really dumb. If not, I have no problem with it.

9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I still have my Technics cassette deck set up. It never gets used and I only have less than 10 tapes left.

Fullbug and Dan33185 like this.
  10. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Nope. Commercial tapes were crap, and home-made tapes were too much hassle.

11. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

Its a bit like trying to make black and white televisions trendy.

12. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

IMO, cassettes were and are a good portable analog music medium. The best, really. And they got better just before they died off.

Kind of like laser discs.

13. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I love my cassettes. I still have about 600 hundred of them and I take my little cassette player to bed at night and listen to my "lullaby tapes." Lately it's been mostly jazz. They sound fine to me. I guess I've always been able to tune out the "hiss."

shirleyujest, 16s, Imagine70 and 4 others like this.
  14. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Actually, I still have many and I still run them thru the Nakamichi deck once in a while. But I don't have any real love for them. The only reason we ever bought so many of them was the their convenience of portability. To play in the car. To bring en masse to parties (I can't remember EVER being ANYWHERE during High School without my One For The Road cassette for example). Later for use in our Walkman.

Markyp and Mateo Sanboval like this.
  15. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Hmmm.... let me think about it....

Nah. I'm cool with CDs.

[​IMG]

16. DHamilton

DHamilton Forum Resident

cassettes sound pretty good to me on my onkyo tape deck.

DougP, snowman872 and Mateo Sanboval like this.
  17. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

I used cassettes in my youth, but it is one thing I don't feel any nostalgia towards, nor any real want to use them.

18. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Convenience? Compared to vinyl?
    Still waiting for the LP Walkman. :D
    Some of the 80's chrome cassette reissues were up there close to vinyl in SQ.

19. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

Cassettes mean freedom, to me.

When I was a beginner writer, musician, etc, the ability to record ideas at home, for cheap, was liberating.
    I spent the 1990s recording music, writings, friend interviews, parties, ideas, concerts, CULTURE, and all because of cassettes. Most of the 2000s, too
    That there were HQer options is not the point: cassettes were priced so that poor artists could use them.
    I cherish my home recording collection on cassette!

Now . . . what digital format to transfer to?

20. Mateo Sanboval

Mateo Sanboval For me, the action is the juice.

I have a Teac 360s and a Sony WM-D6. They reproduce (and record) sound great. Cassettes, just like LPs, CDs, and even digital, are capable of achieving very high fidelity, but are ultimately only as good as their mastering and/or production quality. I'm sure they aren't for everyone anymore, but I have some music unavailable outside of cassette and it sounds terrific to me. As well as some music that seems simply well suited to the format. I suspect the above-mentioned Weisser set is an example of this.

rebetis, shirleyujest, 16s and 5 others like this.
  21. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Which Technics deck do you have?

Man at C&A likes this.
  22. BrutandCharisma

BrutandCharisma Forum Resident

I'm holding out for the return of Gramophones myself. Nothing got between me and the music . . .

[​IMG]

23. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Skill testing question:

[​IMG]

:)

Graham, OldSoul, Tedw9 and 22 others like this.
  24. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

I have a 3-head Denon cassette deck that I bought brand new back in the 90's. It still works and sounds great.

Fullbug, Chris Schoen and mbrownp1 like this.
  25. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Just a hint for the above test:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.