Just received the new Music Direct yearly catalog in the mail.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PB Point, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

She knows the system is expensive. She always says “I don’t want to know”. She is a real sweetheart.

Twinsfan007, Mad Dog, SirMarc and 2 others like this.
  2. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I haven't told my brothers and parents about how much I've spent on headphone gear yet. I've dropped hints. My brother kinda knows that every time I visit over Christmas I bring over about $2K of new headphone gear. I just tell him it's stuff I already had and bought used. I just hope family looks it all up on Google and Audiogon if I suddenly kick the bucket before they sell it off.

3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

My father asked me how much my system cost. I told him. My daughter knows too, and besides she knows how to search online.

4. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

The time to live and let live is allready years behind us. No more excuses !

5. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

If we were to check out what really happens to our recycling, especially since covid hit, we'd be disappointed. In Philly everything goes into one truck and then to the landfill.

4xoddic, Big Blue and csgreene like this.
  6. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

definitely a Christmas wish book that i look forward too every year, toys for the big boys for sure.
    a good read on the hifi market, MD often attempts to bring audiophile brands into the mainstream with this catalog. sometimes it works (ATC speakers) and sometimes it does not (Stirling Audio speakers).
    It is interesting to see the new and other products in this catalog that are not listed online.
    I get lost for days in the vinyl section.
    A welcome departure from the online world....

Seafinch, Big Blue, Hogues and 5 others like this.
  7. carbonti

carbonti Forum Resident

You use that epithet because you disagree. No. No lecture intended but simply a discussion of a different point of view involving a different approach which fosters a different response.
    You mischaracterize the actions I discussed because you disagree. I never suggested anyone become a “fervent acolyte of the environmental movement” but rather simply contribute in the conduct of “small actions” (my exact words) towards a desired trajectory in addressing a much bigger problem. Heroic individual action isn’t what’s needed here but a rather a culture shift towards greater awareness, and action if & how we choose, as to how we consume.
    He can do whatever he wants. I couldn’t care less. I was mocking his self aggrandizement in saying “I'm not spending part of my life solving other people's problems.” hence the drama queen attribution. Comical, as if all the world’s travails were burdened to he alone requiring his concerted superhuman skills & attention.
    You disparage me as pretentious virtue signaling because you disagree. I was not virtue signaling. As if I care what strangers on the internet think of me. But in this forum, many of you are not strangers and I can form opinions on those I regularly come across here based on what they post. Act as you act and be as you are. Agree or disagree as you will. Water seeks its own level.

See you out on campus.

8. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

The printing plates were out of registration.

9. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Got mine two days ago, flipped thru about half of it. I keep them all as they are very nicely done, first one I kept was 2015 has Springsteen on cover and have each year after. I wish MD would be more varied with their featured artists, so far it has pretty much been American Folk artists.......How about some R&B, Funk, Soul, Jazz, Prog, World artists?? Would love to see Peter Gabriel, Coltrane, Maurice White, Prince, George Clinton........and I wish this year they would have featured Neil Peart.

10. Otlset

Otlset I think I am I think

I find myself perusing all the albums shown and thinking "I got that one...that one too...oh yeah, I've got that one...somewhere. No kidding, they re-issued that album?..."

Sometimes I use the catalog as an inspiration what album to play next time too.

luckybaer, jonwoody and Big Blue like this.
  11. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

For sure. At least paper is mostly biodegradable.

It’s just weird to me that there are still locales that do not even have recycling available.

12. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

Office buildings have no recycling here. I remember a co worker was freaking out that we didn't have a recycle can in the kitchen.

Big Blue likes this.
  13. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

We do not have recycling pickup at our house (the garbage company just doesn’t offer that for our town, for some reason...), but we do have collection centers where we take things to recycle. It is therefore annoying to recycle. But it’s still available.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  14. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

When my wife has noticed in the past what I have been looking at in it, I’ll get a weird mix of “that thing looks ridiculous” and “just buy that already, if you really want it...” I think there’s an extent to which she just knows the stuff gets really expensive, but doesn’t really have a sense of the price ranges involved. I think any audio gear over $3500 or so would seem equally crazy/just-what-it-costs-as-far-as-she-knows, to her.

krambigmac likes this.
  15. MichaelXX2

MichaelXX2 Dictator perpetuo

I just got my catalog in. The new MoFi titles this year are disappointing, for the fifth or sixth year in a row. Why are they doing Crosby, Stills & Nash for One Step?

16. all24bits

all24bits Mature Adult

What exactly is the difference between the Audio Advisor catalog and the Music Direct catalog? I get the Audio Advisor on a regular basis and it's fun to flip through even though I'm on their site all the time.

17. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Music Direct’s annual catalog is thick, and bound like a softcover book. Audio Advisor is more like a magazine, and stapled like one.

There’s also usually more put into composing the photography in the Music Direct catalog, it seems. More artful. Audio Advisor is a bit more utilitarian, IMO.

18. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Forum Resident

Audio Advisor is the Single A version of Music Directs Major League catalog.. to use a baseball reference..

luckybaer and Big Blue like this.
  19. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Right! No comparison. I appreciate the fine printing and glossy pages. The book binding is called "perfect binding".

luckybaer, Big Blue and Slimwhit33 like this.
  20. Hogues

Hogues Forum Resident

I love this catalog. It really reminds me of the catalogs they we used to get 30-40 years ago and really brings back fond memories.

21. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

My wife handed it to me and said "did you order something?" No honey, they just send it to me. But it's huge! Honestly, I'm not sure why I'm even getting it. Really!

22. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

And the Audio Advisor catalog is actually pretty good, for what it is! It’s more than most places bother to print and send out these days.

MD just goes a cut above.

Slimwhit33 likes this.
  23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

My wife doesn't pay much attention to the cost. However, she was present at Convergent Audio Technology when I paid for my JL5 amp. So she has a pretty good idea what that stuff costs. She never complained about it. Maybe because she got to know the good people working over at Convergent Audio Technology, saw the facility and the hand built process in action.

Big Blue likes this.
  24. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I don't think Audio Advisor has really cool SACDs and records in their catalog.

Big Blue likes this.
  25. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Yes, another big difference!