Musicians who desperately need a comprehensive box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Crestfallen, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Deacon Blues

Deacon Blues Forum Resident

The Beatles in Mono box set - do that for Nirvana.

2. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

Coverdale/Page boxed set along the lines of the WS 87/Slide It In/Unzipped sets. With all their demos, outtakes, alternate mixes, live show/live DVD, etc. Now that Jimmy is more or less seemingly done w/Led Zeppelin, he should dive right in.

3. SquaRoots

SquaRoots The North Star Grassman

4. SquaRoots

SquaRoots The North Star Grassman

Renaissance

[​IMG]

Galley likes this.
  5. realmdemagic

realmdemagic Forum Resident

Huge Ministry fan here, so don't mind me as I nerd out a bit.

You're right, there are way too many labels involved, but I think we'll see box sets broken down by era.

We already got a big box (Trax! Box) set of all the Wax Trax! material from Ministry, Revco, Pailhead, etc, plus some additional rarities on the Industrial Accident documentary box set.

There's some cool unreleased stuff from the With Sympathy era, so maybe we'll see a deluxe version of that when Al comes to terms with it lol.

Now what I'm really excited for is all the Sire era material. I doubt Warner Bros would release such a box set, but maybe Al will find a way to put out a compilation of all the unreleased stuff.

I'm not a huge fan of the 13th Planet-present material, but I think Al has the rights to all of that, so I could see some sort of box set for that in future.

6. Greg Gee

Greg Gee "I tried to change but I changed my mind..."

The Danny Kirwan and Bob Welch years in Fleetwood Mac, from Then Play On to Heros Are Hard To Find.

Danny Kirwan.

7. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

And when he’s done with a C/P box, I’d like to see a box for The Firm.

8. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

Dolly Parton needs the Bear Family box set treatment for her entire catalog of RCA recordings.

lambfan68, Kristofa, supermd and 9 others like this.
  9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

New Riders Of The Purple Sage -The Columbia Years Box Set

melstapler likes this.
  10. Michael Chavez

Michael Chavez Forum Resident

too much - not impossible but would be a little too much - I wouldn't want it
    maybe just solo/bandleader work - but "comprehensive" literally?
    again - too much - you'd never listen to it all
    plus for me there's a bunch I wouldn't even want - as in don't want to ever hear (twice)
    : - )

I have the Mosaic set - it's fantastic - his time with Roulette kicked ass

Michael

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  11. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Wait - what...? I see the 2-disc What Goes Up as pretty darned comprehensive. Great liners, every single and examples of just about every incarnation in Columbia's vaults, even if sitting through every hit one more time would tire you out anyway. You don't really miss anything from DC-T's ABC albums, except the beginnings of his "lounge band" years. Also, the complete singles mixes (including the mono's where necessary), A AND B-sides...and, you have to go to the THIRD PAGE of compilations on the Discogs listing, to even arrive at that one, there being so many other comps for the band made for specific reasons, just under the Columbia/CBS/Sony imprint.

Frankly, to over-exploit this band any further, you would have to re-name it, "Simon & Garfunkel".

Lewisboogie likes this.
  12. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

The Animals

supermd, wayneklein, Sean and 2 others like this.
  13. Dillydipper

This catalog in particular appears particularly neglected (by the artists and families themselves, unfortunately). Wounded Bird did have a singles (A's and B's) comp at one point, but there's definitely room for a small box that would satisfy most fans still passionate about the artists, but priced to woo the casual soft-rock fans of yesterday as well. 2 discs could do it; 3 for a good overview...but detailed liners and more pictures would be a must. Member John Sclar worked a lot with them on the road - check his threads here for some great background.

Charles Adams and daleyguy like this.
  14. Dillydipper

Would love to see a few electronica icons get boxed, at the very least for their coverage over several band projects. Andy Cato of Groove Armada and Weekend Players comes to mind, although there are other , bigger names with more successful projects, such as Bill "Frontline Assembly/Delerium" Leeb. Boxes such as these could make fans aware of how many other projects they've been a part of that might already be on their radar.

Then there are DeeJays who have had major success with series based on their bases of operations but also as solo artists:
    Hotel Costes' Stefane Pompougnac
    Cafe del Mar's Jose Padilla
    Buddha Bar's Claude Challe

As these eras have quieted-down if not devolved into franchises and properties like Marvel Comics characters, it should be time to consider their works as a whole, even if they feel they are not done with their creative processes yet. And obviously there are a lot of others in this boat, clinging on to their turntables, mixes, and brands for dear life, outside of the mainstream world's awareness:
    Above & Beyond
    Paul Oakenfold
    Chicane-through-Late-Night Allumni
    Paul Schwartz
    Karl Jenkins

Runicen likes this.
  15. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Half Man Half Biscuit

Suicide

The Equals

16. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

Steve Gaines

17. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I am going to go for something topical.

Tin Machine!

18. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Toyah's WAY overdue!

19. efraley

efraley Forum Resident

Seger has stated he has no interest in having a box set because (and I'm paraphrasing from memory) it would be too expensive for most of his fans. I'd be content with Noah and Back in 72 being issued on CD. Forget about Brand New Morning as he hates that record.

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  20. Zappateer

Zappateer Forum Resident

Maria Muldaur

21. Zappateer

Zappateer Forum Resident

Homer & Jethro

lou a, Dave112, KaBluie and 1 other person like this.
  22. BigManRestless

BigManRestless Forum Resident

A comprehensive / complete Kenny Rogers & The First Edition.

Most of their studio albums have still never been on CD.

lou a likes this.
  23. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

I'd add Seven to that good list you made!

BourbonAndVinyl likes this.
  24. Starless

Starless Forum Resident

Van Der Graaf Generator.

Icethorn, dcscott and RAZORMADE like this.
  25. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Glen Campbell
    The Raspberries
    The Bee Gees

fr in sc, Dave112, kyletx500 and 4 others like this.