My impressions of the Rega Elex-R

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by maglorine, Oct 3, 2019.

1. maglorine

maglorine Forum Resident Thread Starter

Mine has been left on for the last couple of months. It’s barely warmer than room temperature on the top cover towards the rear and the front face seems to be right at room temperature. No issues.

Tone? likes this.
  2. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

My Mira 3's case used to get warm as it played music but it had that big heat sink on the bottom that the semiconductors were mounted to. The Elex-r I avoided leaving on when not in use. The side panels of the case are the heat sinks on either side and I found they were always a bit warmer to the touch for me at idle. I don't know if it was just paranoia but I thought it was the perfect condition to dry out all the electrolytics on the chassis.

3. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

How is the eq curve of the amp?

I tend to favor a flatter eq response.

I’m super interested in trying the Rega

Thanks !

4. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

How does the Elex R compare to the Musical Fidelity offerings, the M3Si for example? Similar output, size, price. I have the lower wrung M2si that doesn't have the usb input or phono offerings (I use a V90 Dac, and a Moon LP110v2) but the power rating is similar to the Elex.

Also curious how the Creek Evo 100a compares too. A bit pricey for me, but you never know. Although I'm likely to go with something like Yamaha in the future. Really like my MF for my little room, running Dynaudio Excite 14. Might move my setup in the future, to a bigger room, so whether I need more power, will be determined on how well it works for the increased size, and whether I change up my speakers. Might actually be fine as is though.

5. maglorine

Checked the side panels for heat and again they are just warmer than room temperature despite the amp being in all day in idle.

To my ears and with my associated equipment the Elex has flaws only of omission. It's neutral, resolving of detail, and doesn't call attention to itself. It has way more power than I need in my 10.5 x 21 foot room. I don't think this is a piece of gear that you'll listen to and obsess about how great this or that particular aspect is. It's completely competent all the way round.

6. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

How is the volume dial in daily use?

7. maglorine

I tend to use the remote, which is pretty usable to dial in a preferred volume. It's not too sensitive or too slow to react so I have little difficulty with either small or large adjustments. I'm normally between 10 and 11 o'clock on the actual volume knob.

Kristofferabild likes this.
  8. Kristofferabild

Thanks.
    When I tried it at the store tge feeling of the volume dial was a little shaky, is that something you experience?

9. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

Something was amiss, there. All the Rega amps I've tried or owned had very precise and satisfying 'knob feel'.

timind likes this.
  10. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I found the volume control just a little stiff but the action was smooth overall.

bhazen likes this.
  11. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

This. The most important thing a good hifi system should accomplish. Because in doing so, it unlocks what's unique and wonderful about each album you play.

My first 'audiophile' setup was a Planet CD player with matching Brio amp and R1's. In all honesty, I'd be happy with that system now, but I had to indulge in the 'hobby' side of things, spend loads of money over the last decade+ ... needlessly, from a sheer practical listening to music perspective.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    AndyCC72, KT88 and dbsea like this.
  12. maglorine

Volume Knob is smooth and precise. I have had no issues with it.

13. WapatoWolf

WapatoWolf Forum Resident

howdy neighbor (greenwood neighborhood). I almost bought an Elex a couple of times (have RP6 TT & Rega Dac). Went from Cambridge to Exposure integrated, which i loved. Currently running LFD LE V+ integrated. If you love the Elex & can afford it, keep it. My 2 cents. Take care!

14. PhotoMax

PhotoMax Forum Resident

I loaned my Elex-R to a friend. I won’t be getting it back. I upgraded my speakers from Rega RS7s to Spendor D9s. I also upgraded from the Bryston 4BSST-2 amp to the Pass Labs XA30.8. It looks like my friend will be buying the Elex-R, RS7s and Rega DAC. All of this plays very well together and will be a super upgrade in his room...

timind, bhazen and Echoes Myron like this.
  15. Kristofferabild

On Rega’s page it says : “Power Consumption: 250 Watts”
    Is it always drawing that much power? That seems like a lot.

16. Kristofferabild

17. Kristofferabild

Did Rega change the internals on this?

In this video of the Elex R, the vol control inside looks a lot different to the images I have found online.

Old:
    [​IMG]
    New :
    [​IMG]

6 min. In, in this video.

It seems like Rega changed this over time?

Ivand likes this.
  18. Kristofferabild

Just a quck question for people owning this. How hot does the amp get? My current amp is in a cupboard with ventilation at the back. Would the Elex R work in the same place?

19. fully_articulated

fully_articulated Forum Resident

Mine barely even gets warm, even though there are no ventilation holes in its chassis. I wonder if it might change much with harder to drive speakers?

So, I would say yes to your question. Have you got a pic of your space?

20. maglorine

Mine barely even gets warm and it's powered on 24\7.

fried likes this.
  21. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

Are the Elex and Elicit due for an update any time soon? Thought I read that someone commenting about that somewhere on this forum or maybe it was elsewhere.

22. Kristofferabild

There have been rumours for a long time. I don't know if covid has delayed those plans.

IRG likes this.
  23. Kristofferabild

I am waiting on the redesign of the Elex R as well! I don't know what else they could add though, but hoping to a design similar to the new Aria and the Aethos.

24. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

I've read lots of good reviews of the Elex. Don't see many in the US though, their price/value isn't great. It's almost $1700. In contrast, my Musical Fidelity M2Si is very similar in specs, and new from an authorized dealer it was $599. Granted, it was a special deal, but still. Only thing it didn't have was a MM phono input. And the Elicit at $3,000 is a stretch, when I can get a Yamaha A S1200 for less, or a new Marantz Model 30 for $2500. Or a MF M6si (220wpc) for similar money if not less.

25. Kristofferabild

I really like the rega sound though.

bhazen likes this.