SH Spotlight Nat King Cole "LOVE IS THE THING" (1956) in new multi-channel SACD & 45 RPM LP from Analogue Prods.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

My favorite Nat King Cole album of all time is LOVE IS THE THING which is just NAT and a string orchestra, but quite wonderful. When I was a teen I found a copy at Wallach's Music City in the used bin for 79 cents. My mom told me it was good so I got it (skipping the 45 of "Kung Fu Fighting" that I also wanted). When I got home and I heard "Stardust" for the first time I was mesmerized. Even back then I "got" Nat King Cole. At DCC I wanted to do as much Nat as possible for Gold CD but now, at Analogue Productions, the dream of really doing a series right has come true, with LOVE IS THE THING as the crown jewel.

Chad Kassem at Analogue Productions (AP) loved the Gold CD and 180 gram vinyl DCC version of LOVE IS THE THING. In fact, he never forgot it and it was his idea to attempt to do this Nat Cole series in multi-channel and 45 RPM.

This album is ancient 1956 Capitol stereo and it is still a joy for me to hear without any compression or EQ getting in the way of the music. The three-channel version sounds lifelike and the unique new two-channel mixes (slightly different for the 45 RPM LP and SACD/CD) that I did with Kevin Gray sound spooky real as well.

The SACD/CD version has the added bonus of featuring the original monaural LP that was such a hit in 1957 that it rose to #1 on the charts and was cut out of the catalog in 1967. The stereo version of the album has never been out of print. The mono version is "close miked" on the instruments, so certain things are spotlighted (like the cello opening of "When I Fall In Love"). Different from the stereo version that was recorded in three-track almost as an afterthought, just for the audiophile open reel tape market back in 1956.

The original monaural LP had 12 songs and when the stereo LP was issued it only contained 10 songs (the other two were recorded in mono only due to a glitch in the Neumann microphone patch in the stereo recording room) and the song order was scrambled. Our SACD and 45 RPM LP restore the correct January, 1957 running order for both versions.

Arranged and conducted by Gordon Jenkins, the album was recorded in Capitol's Tower Studio A. The 45 RPM version has a little bonus of it's own in the way of a false start of "I Thought About Marie" which is funny and touching at the same time.

This is one of the neatest albums of all time and I play it at least once a month (since I was a teen). It really calms me down and (as an added plus) is great make-out music as well.

In a few short years these will go out of print and maybe you'll pay double, triple or ?? so get them now!

The rare mono version went out of print in 1967 and has been reissued for the first time HERE.

You'll really appreciate an artist at the top of his craft. It doesn't get better than this, trust me. 64 minutes of bliss. Please note: This is the ONLY unfiltered Nat Cole vocal ever done at Capitol. In other words, there is no bass filter on his microphone (stereo only). You'll hear some pretty crazy "popping" noises from his mouth. Just part of the pure sound of the three-track tape. Enjoy.

------------

LOVE IS THE THING Three-channel, stereo mix and mono mix for Analogue Productions/Acoustic Sounds as mastered by Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman:

There is a three channel SACD section with 10 songs except MAYBE IT'S BECAUSE I LOVE YOU TOO MUCH and LOVE LETTERS. There is a stereo SACD section with 12 songs, 10 in stereo except MAYBE IT'S BECAUSE I LOVE YOU TOO MUCH and LOVE LETTERS which are mono. There is a mono SACD section with all 12 songs in mono. There is a CD section, same content as SACD Stereo. There is a CD section, same content as the mono SACD section.

When I Fall In Love
    Stardust
    Stay As Sweet As You Are
    Where Can I Go Without You?
    Maybe It’s Because I Love You Too Much (mono only)
    Love Letters (mono only)
    Ain’t Misbehavin’
    I Thought About Marie (studio chatter, false start on 45 RPM LP only)
    At Last
    It’s All In The Game
    When Sunny Gets Blue
    Love Is The Thing

---------
    Courtesy of J. Taylor and Apileocole:

Session info:

LP: Love Is The Thing:

December 19, 1956

(Session #4710; 14:00-18:00) Capitol Recording Studio, 1750 N. Vine Street, Hollywood, California
    Nat Cole (vocal) Gordon Jenkins (arranger / conductor) Allan J. Reuss (guitar) Jack Ryan (bass) Lee Young (drums) Charles LaVere (piano) Armand Kaproff (cello) Kathryn M. Thompson (harp) Bill Baffa (viola) Paul Robyn (viola) David H. Sterkin (viola) Israel Baker (violin) Alex Beller (violin) Joe Chassman (violin) Samuel 'Sam' Cytron (violin) Kurt Dieterle (violin) Sol Kindler (violin) Murray Kellner (violin) Joseph 'Joe' Livoti (violin) Daniel 'Dan' Lube (violin) Rickey Marino (violin) Erno Neufeld (violin) Joseph G. 'Joe' Quadri (violin) Mischa Russell (violin) Ralph Schaeffer (violin) Paul C. Shure (violin) Marshall Sosson (violin)
    • (16300-6) Maybe It's Because I Love You Too Much
    • (16301-9) Love Letters
    • (16302-8) I Thought About Marie
    • (16303-5) Where Can I Go Without You?
    • (16308-7) Stardust
    • (16309-1) Love Is The Thing
    • (16310-9) It's All In The Game

Note: this session was recorded in monaural and 3-track for stereo
    Note: the first two tracks (16300 and 16301) were not recorded in 3-track owing to technical problems
    Note: this was the first session of Nat Cole's known to be recorded in stereo

December 28, 1956

(Session #4720; 14:00-17:00) Capitol Recording Studio, 1750 N. Vine Street, Hollywood, California
    Nat Cole (vocal) Gordon Jenkins (arranger / conductor) Allan J. Reuss (guitar) Jack Ryan (bass) Lee Young (drums) Charles LaVere (piano) Cy Bernard (cello) Helen B. Hutchinson (harp) Bill Baffa (viola) Paul Robyn (viola) David H. Sterkin (viola) Leonard 'Len' Atkins (violin) Harry Bluestone (violin) Samuel 'Sam' Cytron (violin) Kurt Dieterle (violin) Jacques Gasselin (violin) Ben 'Benny' Gill (violin) Murray Kellner (violin) Sol Kindler (violin) Joseph 'Joe' Livoti (violin) Daniel 'Dan' Lube (violin) Erno Neufeld (violin) Nicholas 'Nick' Pisani (violin) Joseph G. 'Joe' Quadri (violin) Mischa Russell (violin)
    • (16335-5) When I Fall In Love
    • (16336-7) Ain't Misbehavin'
    • (16337-12) When Sunny Gets Blue
    • (16338-3) At Last
    • (16339) I Was A Little Too Lonely (recording unattempted but rehearsed)
    • (16340-7) Stay As Sweet As You Are

Note: this session was recorded in monaural and 3-track for stereo

------------------------------------------------------------------

PHOTOS, December, 1956: Love Is The Thing recording session at Capitol Tower Studio A:

Attached Files:

2. BITBANGER

BITBANGER Senior Member

Yes steve, I love what you've done with this. Outstanding.
    I have a question as to why the mid 60s Capitol label was used for the LP. Didn't the stereo version originally come out with the 9 o'clock logo label?

3. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

One of the smartet choices you ever made, I sure. I'm looking forward to these SACD's

4. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

Yes, that was a good choice, ESP at that age. That Kung Fu fighting song is a classic for boys from that era...:D

5. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

Pardon my ignorance, but where can these AF releases be pre-ordered? The don't appear to be on the AF website yet, nor Amazon... And yes, eagerly looking forward to all of these! Thanks -

6. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

These aren't AF (Audio Fidelity) titles - they're AP (Analogue Productions)

http://analogueproductions.com/index.cfm?do=search

7. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

8. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I'm more than ready for the SACD.

9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The first time you put this album on, you hear the string into to When I fall in Love, and then Nat's voice. Just breathtaking.

The DCC Gold CD is worth every penny of the current $100+ price; the AP's (either on vinyl or SACD) seem like an absolute bargain. Looking forward to the SACD.

George P likes this.
  10. This is like Christmas. :cheers:

11. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

It sounds amazing!

12. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

This is one of my favorite albums of all-time. Can't wait for the SACD release!

13. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Splendid Looking forward to the SACD too :D

14. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I picked up the Capitol version on sale in a charity shop in Newington a few months back. Nice sounding disc and his vocals are like liquid velvet as ever.

15. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Forum Resident

Very eager to get my hands on the Sack-Dee.......:D

16. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

The 45 LP is amazing. It's my first real exposure to Mr. Cole. Thank you indeed.

17. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

See, see, see, told you guys (and gals) there would be an SACD revival!!!

;)

Good stuff, Steve!

18. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Steve, is there in session info indicating what role those two RCA 44s were playing in the recording? This album (to my ears) has always had a "different" sound from most early Capitol stereo discs, and I opined on one of the now-missing Sinatra pages that the mics in that Cole photo *MAY* have served as the stereo pickup, but that's pure speculation.

Thoughts?

Matt

19. Steve Hoffman

Matt, I don't know but I seriously doubt that the orchestra was "caught" by 44's. Sounds like Neumann Land to me but maybe it was a blend?

I don't think two 44's could have reproduced that full range sound....

The documentation on this stuff is non-existent. At least at United they drew diagrams and stuck them in the tape boxes. Not at Capitol.

20. MLutthans

Yeah, that pretty much mirrors what I had said on that Sinatra page. Here's the quote:
    And indeed....who knows? :sigh:

21. Steve Hoffman

Were they even in the stereo circuit? The mic preamps would be different and everything. I doubt it..

However, I could easily believe that they were used on the MONO side of the recording. Almost 100% sure of that, actually. The mono recording has that lush, smooth lower midrange..

22. MLutthans

Well, there was a 44 used on the piano and saxes on lots of early Capitol stereo stuff, so anything is possible. (I'm referring to the albums that were not done "mic over there, mic over there" style.) It's also on the stereo mix of some Sinatra albums, but I'd have to dig back to figure out which ones. COME DANCE WITH ME, I think, and some others, IIRC. I'm 99% sure that's a 44 on the piano for JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS by Cole, too.

But for this two-mic-on-the-orchestra stuff, I doubt it.

My kingdom for pictures on this stuff!

CBackley likes this.
  23. Steve Hoffman

And you'll notice that when the piano mic is fed into the center channel on the "JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS" LP that it is distortion city. Mismatch..

24. MLutthans

It's also MASSIVELY LOUD (in balance terms vis a vis the other instruments) on the original stereo mix, and at a much more proper level on the mono mix.

Matt

25. Steve Hoffman

They were just guessing in the stereo room. I believe they only had one speaker in there! Or, just headphones. If true, they could only listen to one channel at a time. Yikes.