New music by ABBA - "Voyage" LP due Nov. 5, 2021*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MonkeysCantSwing, Apr 27, 2018.

1. MonkeysCantSwing

MonkeysCantSwing Forum Resident Thread Starter

According to their manager, they have recorded new music!

From Swedish Televisions news desk.:

New music by Abba

"The Swedish pop group Abba releases new music for the first time since 1981 - when their last album The Visitors came. It informs the group's chief Görel Hanser in a press release.

During his career, Abba sold over 400 million discs between 1972-1982."

Ny musik av Abba

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  2. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

It s a news flash all over here in Sweden. No more information that their manager is saying they will release new music. That was surprising

Jarleboy likes this.
  3. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Wow did not see that coming

4. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Any chance of a translation of the article?

5. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

It jus says that ABBA-according to manager-has recorded new music

Jarleboy likes this.
  6. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Here is some more facts in swedish
    They have recorded 2 songs one called I still have faith in you. According to the article the song will be performed on BBC in december. The group is said to have enjoyed the reunion
    I ett pressmeddelande skriver bandets manager Görel Hanser att Abba efter 35 år har spelat in ny musik.

”Vi kände alla fyra att efter 35 år skulle det vara roligt att gå samman igen och gå tillbaka in i studion. Och det gjorde vi. Och det var som att tiden stått still och att vi bara varit iväg på en kortare semester”, skriver bandet i pressmeddelandet.

Totalt kommer bandet att ge ut två låtar. En av låtarna, som går under namnet ”I still have faith in you”, ska vara planerad att framföras i brittiska public service-kanalen BBC redan i december.

Inför 2019 har Abba förberett hologramföreställningar, i ett så kallad avatar-projekt. Enligt uttalandet har samarbetet gett inspiration till att också spela in ny musik.

Under sin karriär har Abba släppt mer än 400 miljoner skivor.

Sebastich, Lonevej, Jason W and 3 others like this.
  7. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Probably related to this Facebook post:
    [​IMG]
    ABBA

8. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

Oh boy. Unreal. I don't care for them but I realize the significance of the news for their fans. Gives me faith that The Smiths might reunite too at some point. ))))) or Talking Heads... or 10cc. Crazy.

9. mrzpliff

mrzpliff Forum Resident

Is it the "avatar-version" of the group that will perform the songs in the program?
    - Well, right., but it's the real Abba who sings. We'll keep you informed about future progress.
    (or something like that)

Är det avatarversionen av Abba som framför låtarna i programmet?
    – Aa just det, men det är riktiga Abba som sjunger. Det som händer framöver kommer vi hålla er informerade om.

Jarleboy likes this.
  10. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Well this is exciting news!

Sure wish it was more than two songs, because there will be an inevitable new compilation -- just what the world needs!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  11. Larsen

Larsen Forum Resident

I. Am. Excited!

Shak Cohen, Sean, sathvyre and 3 others like this.
  12. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

I can't help but feel excited, but... I wish they left it how it was with "The Day Before You Came" and "Under Attack".

But still it's really exciting. I just assumed ABBA would be one of those bands that would never record music again like the Smiths and the Jam.

13. Basenote66

Basenote66 Forum Resident

Wow. New material after all this time! Intrigued...

Jarleboy likes this.
  14. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

15. ptijerm

ptijerm Forum Resident

16. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Guess this is a clever way to sell the Avatar-thing. Anyway it s surprising given that ann-Frid Lyngstad has retired totally from music and Agneta is semiretired. Hopefully it will be two good songs

Jarleboy likes this.
  17. culabula

culabula Unread author.

18. ptijerm

ptijerm Forum Resident

Hardcore ABBA fans must be having a total freak-out today with this news.

Fullbug, Brettlowden, Jayseph and 5 others like this.
  19. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

20. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

Wow! I must admit I never really liked the idea of an ABBA reunion a) because I never thought it would happen and b) because I didn’t want to see my childhood musical heroes just going through the motions for some easy money. But never in a million years did I think they would be writing new material together again and it has put the biggest smile on my face! Man, I hope it’s good!

21. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I see a new compilation CD in the future with a space for the song.

John Adam, supernaut, Grant and 5 others like this.
  22. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident

Cool news. I look forward to hearing the 2 new songs. Something that I never thought would happen.

Grant and AlmanacZinger like this.
  23. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Terrific news, looking forward to hearing the magic. I remember Abba on the radio in my youth but never really was in on any new music by the band when it first came out.

24. Luxury_Liner

Luxury_Liner Senior Member

I’m trying to get my head around it… I always admired them for the fact that they left well enough alone and managed to walk away without tarnishing their legacy. Does this mean The Day Before You Came has lost its swansong status?

I only have three wishes: no lame ass EDM backing tracks, no freakin’ autotune polluting the soundscape like a bad smell and finally… joint lead vocals! Enough with giving Agnetha all the solo spots like they did on the final 4 singles! #JusticeForFrida. (Just kiddin’)

25. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

I'm guessing these two new songs will end up having a status similar to 'Free As a Bird' and 'Real Love', i.e. nobody will quite know whether they're canon or non-canon. That should give plenty of fodder (canon fodder?) for a new SHF thread!