Parting with CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Adam9, Aug 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Perhaps in 1975.

2. schnitzerphilip

"Hey Siri, play Be Yourself by Audioslave"

3. schnitzerphilip

"Hey Siri, play This Guy Gets It by Joe Bananarama"

dkmonroe likes this.
  4. schnitzerphilip

Seeing of of their own embrace the digital lifestyle is a shock to their system, they just can't comprehend it. Thing is, if they opened their minds just a wee bit they'd see that they can have it both ways. I collect vintage watches but I buy an equal amount of new ones. There are merits to the old and new way of doing things.

Freedom Rider and dkmonroe like this.
  5. Lets see, lots of other industries embraced new technology as readily as the music industry (such as the automobile industry) but your point I believe is that the music industry has always embraced and pushed new technology -absolutely true. I too loved the evolution of the technology I lived through -first it was LPs and 45s, then cassettes (mixing my own), then the wonderful Walkman, CDs followed and I embraced them, then cheap CD burning drives for making my own mixes and digital file availability and editing with programs like Audacity (still use and love that one). And now streaming is the popular platform for distributing and listening to music. What is constant through all the evolution of the technology is the music itself -whether you stream or play physical media, the music is the same.

If I was starting fresh (and was a lot younger) I would likely embrace streaming far more than I do now. Whether enjoying the physical trappings of CDs and LPs is more fetish than practical I can't say with any authority. I like holding the physical product, reading notes on paper more than on a screen. I also enjoy playing a nice SACD or well-mastered CD on a decent system and embrace the warmth and power that is never achieved on a small bookshelf system or other tiny convenient speaker. I spent over 25 years collecting CDs, far more years than I spent acquiring LPs (maybe 8 years), and though I did dump almost all my LPs, I just don't feel compelled now to follow up with a huge CD purge. I do purge some CDs as I already posted earlier, but I suspect I will hold onto about 75% till I croak or become so destitute I need to part with them.

schnitzerphilip likes this.
  6. schnitzerphilip

Looking in the context and rare example of a single LP, sure. If you went that overboard for Genesis' Duke that's fine, but if you stream the rest of their catalog it'll catch up very quickly. 17 plays of That's All is all it takes.

7. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

No it wasn't and I don't believe that you believe it was either. You're just siding with what's his name because you're having fun trolling IMO. :)

Don't waste your time trying to tell me that this isn't true because there's nothing you can say that will convince me otherwise.

8. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

The Offenderati have spoken...

eddiel likes this.
  9. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

You show up in a thread, essentially insulting people, and then someone makes a small joke, pages ago I might add, and you get all sensitive about it? Pathetic.

10. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

But contemporary rappers such as Kanye West and Kevin Gates are even more foul-mouthed than 90s rappers, and their music is uncensored on Spotify. Kanye West has 26 million monthly listeners on Spotify: are they really going to ban his music from their service? But keep on making your hypothetical argument about the horrors of a ban that’s not coming (for a genre of music that many here would like to see banned, that’s the funniest part about this particular “oh, the horror” argument).

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  11. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Well, always nice to have an open mind about things. :rolleyes:

Just to set the record straight, I think that @schnitzerphilip is trolling a little bit. I am not. I'm not bust-out offended by those remarks on his behalf but I do believe that they are in poor taste and I won't be telling you that you were dropped on the head as a baby. But if you won't be convinced by anything I say, then that says more about you than me.

12. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

"Modern Dad likes to bait." Episode 2485.

panasoffkee likes this.
  13. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Modern Dad searches for a new plotline.

14. dkmonroe

What I said was pure fact. If @schnitzerphilip reported those posts, they'd be zapped. If enough people reported those posts, the thread would get closed. I've seen both happen for less. The fact that the posts are still there says that no one has reported them. There's plenty of members who if you made those remarks to, you'd get suspended pretty quickly, because they'd really raise a stink about it. Recognizing this is not being "The Offenderati", it's knowing the lay of land.

schnitzerphilip likes this.
  15. dkmonroe

Yeah, he likes to bait, and many here like to eat.

16. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Modern Dad has his followers.

panasoffkee likes this.
  17. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

18. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I'd be fine with that considering this thread is utterly useless at this point, mostly because of schnitzer's doing as well.

And once again, Guy E is right, the offenderati have been offended. Just because a lot of members would be offended it doesn't mean it's offensive and that they aren't being overly sensitive.

If that innocuous joke had been left where it was, no one would even remember it. Instead, something that no one was talking about was complained about and now we're arguing about it. If that member who commented on it recently was so offended why didn't he just report it instead of trying to turn it into what we have now?

Actually, if it's such a problem, then why don't you report these posts? No need to answer that, I know why.

19. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

If eddiel types 170 posts about the immoral act of eating leftovers, and thereby robbing restaurants and grocery stores of fresh sales, you have my permission to jokingly express your sympathy about his having been dropped on his head, numerous times, as a child.

20. dkmonroe

I don't report the posts because, as I said, I'm not bust-out offended by them. Nevertheless, they would easily get the thread closed if someone was really bust-out offended over them. That, as I stated, is a plain fact. It isn't up to you to decide what's offensive to other people. If @schnitzerphilip does or does not report them, that's his business. But it's silly and hypocritical to insist that such personal remarks are not offensive because you are not offended by them. Some people here don't care what garbage is lobbed at another member as long as that member is on the "wrong" side of the argument.

21. dkmonroe

I don't need your permission to do things that I would never do as a matter of course, thanks much.

22. ANALOGUE OR DEATH

ANALOGUE OR DEATH Forum Resident

He may have a point about some of the things he says re:streaming.But to me the arrogance and constant postings regarding what other people should do and not do mark him out as a doughnut.That's how his kind of attitude would be called out down my way,if not worse.He's not being criticised for having 3 BMW'S,it's because he for some strange reason felt the need to tell us about it on a HiFi thread!Does he do it just to 'get a bite '? Well guess what?He got a few! If his doesn't want flack,then don't post it!
    Anyway rant over.Bye.

23. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Leaving out the original sales is deceitful.

EDIT: . . . as is the implication that one copy of a CD is resold thousands of times.

10,000 people streaming an album pays the artist nowhere near 10,000 original CD sales, including a few resales.

24. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

This made me laugh. Thank you. The music industry is a great example of how not to embrace technology. They have been behind the eight-ball at each and every step, and over decades. They have had to be forced to adopt technology. Now they have streaming they're busy killing off physical sales, so once again they're not getting it right, imo. They allowed butchered CD's to be released, and failed to adopt hi-res media to any significant degree, which continues today. It just goes on and on.

So yeah, the idea that no industry has embraced technology like the music industry must be some kind of irony/humor, no?

ps: I'm totally NOT trying to make a personal dig here.

25. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

detroit muscle and Mbe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.