Paul McCartney Archive Collection - 'Forthcoming Releases' [TBC]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thrillington, Mar 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I have a soft spot for Press To Play, definitely, but I still prefer his 1997-present stuff.

Mr. Explorer and Elliottmarx like this.
  2. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Don't forget, he had a cowriter for much of the Beatles and at times two!

Afterwards, he needed some filler. Heck, they all did.

andrewskyDE and Sean Murdock like this.
  3. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

What mix is this?

supermd, DrBeatle and boggs like this.
  4. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

When Laurence Juber stops acting like a baby and lets Paul reissue the darn thing. ;)

Seriously: Nobody knows.

Cue:

DrBeatle, Hep Alien and Mr. Explorer like this.
  5. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

No idea, I've never heard it. It's the most sparse mix I've heard, so it's either of 1971 vintage or a rough for Cold Cuts. Cold Cuts went through several mix revisions.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  6. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Wild Life and RRS (to a certain degree) would make sense after the White Album deluxe given its 'Indy' nature.

On another note, having seen the Capital reissues in the UK, I can't understand why the Archive Collection banding has been dropped and why they are only single CDs. I hope this doesn't signal the end. Has Capital reproduced any of the Concord deluxe boxes yet? My local HMV now has most of the Concords still in stock with the Capitols in the rack as well, making a confusing choice for any newcomers....

Mr. Explorer and FKA002 like this.
  7. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

the 2003 In-Laws mix is my favorite. Maybe it's because I heard it first, I think it's considerably better than any other version. Only took Paul 30 odd years to get it right!

supermd, Mr. Explorer, Erchie and 3 others like this.
  8. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I wonder whether the terms of the previous contract with Concord/Hear Music means that only they can issue those first 9 releases (including WOA) under the "Archive Collection" branding, and that Capitol can only use that for releases from FITD onwards. Maybe, best reason I can come up with anyway!

Mr. Explorer and Oyster Boy like this.
  9. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I think this is a rough mix from 1971. As you said, sounds very sparse - just drums, bass and guitar. All subsequent versions were built on top of this IMO. I would’ve loved to have this 1971 session outtake presented in studio quality on the Ram box set.

10. Frank

Frank Senior Member

???
    Capitol called them Archive Collections in the press release for the single-disc version. They can brand them that way.

I wouldn't put off purchasing the Concord configurations if I wanted them. No matter what one's opinion about how it's going to play out for un-Archived albums is, there's absolutely no indication that there will be more multi-disc sets of those original 9 offered by Capitol once the Concords dry up.

11. Oyster Boy

I suspect you are right about the multi-disc sets of the first nine, especially as they couldn't even reproduce the two-disc versions. Over on Superdeluxe on the coloured vinyl Macca unboxing, someone pointed out that some of the boxes were going cheap on Amazon.com. If I hadn't got them I would jump now.

Lewisboogie, Mr. Explorer and Frank like this.
  12. Yes, it comes in a box with the Vhs

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  13. freddiebell

freddiebell Forum Resident

Good points, as usual, Paul. The quirk (to me, anyway) about McCartney's ideas is that they do seem to vary quite a bit based upon what other people think, not just his own personal opinion. Ram seems to be the prototype of an album where he took the critics (and J.W.O. Lennon) at face value and decided that it was a pretty lousy album -- why else would he shelf it completely on his high-profile 1973 and 1975/1976 tours? -- until enough people ("Ram Army" and otherwise) came out of the woodwork and made known that they thought it was quite a solid, well-crafted record. So now he seems to think it was an underrated gem. And he's right about that. It just took him a while to get there. That's why I have hope that someday we just might get Back to the Egg and a few other supposedly lesser light LPs re-released with The Treatment in the years to come -- if enough people convince him to have another go at it. Egg in particular I think has the potential to appeal to hipsters and get the proverbial street cred that he seems to value so much nowadays. We'll see about that in due course.

MsMaclen, daveidmarx, supermd and 4 others like this.
  14. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Yes, I agree that McCartney appears to believe that there's mileage in publicly accepting that some of his older material is rubbish (perhaps it allows him to place himself as a credible artist now). As a result, he's happy to diss much of it, but what he disses does seem to depend on what everyone else thinks is rubbish. You know, if he got the notion that most people thought Band on the Run was crap, I'm sure he'd start trashing it in interviews.

15. Oyster Boy

I remember Ram getting reappraised on its original CD release in the UK back in 87 in a newly launched CD magazine. It made me revisit it and over the years it has become an all time favourite. Over the weekend, I was in my local pub and the digital 'jukebox' randomly played Smile Away. I couldn't believe it, so I decided my run up to midnight album choice for New Years Eve was Ram. It was originally gonna be FITD, which remains my reissue of 2017. It was a great Macca year for me all told.

Mr. Explorer, MsMaclen and DrBeatle like this.
  16. djej

djej Forum Resident

At the risk of having @Arnold Grove soil his shorts (front and back), I don't think it's been mentioned that the Downloads section on PaulMcCartney.com has been updated a few times over the last month or so. Now available are:

1 2017 Wordsearch
    2 new coloring/colouring pages in a Christmas theme
    1 throwback of a 1983 quiz from Club Sandwich with illustrations of McCartney song titles

Sharpen your pencils and crayons for a little trip down Paul McCartney Ephemera Lane.

Downloads

17. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar Thread Starter

We have been spoilt.

I received for Christmas the remaining Concord reissued vinyl to complete my Archive collection (so far). Just finishing up McCartney II. It was a strange experience to find a Coming Soon card inside that included four upcoming titles!

18. Arnold Grove

This was mentioned in some other Paul-related thread. NOTE: The 1983 picture quiz is quite hard.

And instead of soiling my shorts, I just played "Soily". Much better... ;)

19. supermd

supermd Senior Member

...which is completely stupid to me. Stand up for your work! Be proud of it.

Paul H and Mr. Explorer like this.
  20. Frank

Frank Senior Member

So you're the cat in the ****-in trousers.

Or is it satin?

21. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

At Arnie's age, it's pretty much 50/50 that he'll soil his shorts on any given day with no provocation whatsoever! ;)

22. Arnold Grove

I'll be doing a laundry at your home later today. Expect me by 3 pm... ;)

23. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

I'll be busy then, sorry. Before you mention an alternate date/time, I'll be busy THEN too! :angel:

24. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

This makes me wonder, when did Paul first play a song from Ram live? Did he ever play any before he starting doing Ram On on the Ukulele?

Mr. Explorer and Hep Alien like this.
  25. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

Yes, he did too many people when I saw him in 2002.

Mr. Explorer, Hep Alien and OobuJoobu like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.