Pig (new Nicolas Cage movie)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kwadguy, Jul 19, 2021.

1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

Has anyone seen Pig yet?

It has been getting rave reviews and called a return to form for Nicolas "paycheck" Cage.

That said, the IMDB ratings are FAR lower (97% Rotten Tomatoes, 7.1/10 IMDB). That can sometimes mean a critics' darling that average viewers don't get.

2. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

i saw the trailer. i'm intrigued for sure.

Dissidence likes this.
  3. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Straight to dvd, .. and I’ll buy. :D

Dissidence and Shoes1916 like this.
  5. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Yes, I saw it last week. I thought it was very good. Cage did a great job, as did everyone else in the cast. But pay very close attention to what is going on towards the end of the film. I somehow managed to miss an important piece of dialog, which left me confused. Fortunately, @Chris DeVoe was able to set me straight!

Dissidence, unclefred, RickH and 4 others like this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Glad to help!

Shoes1916 and brownie61 like this.
  7. Chris DeVoe

I have to confess, of all the films I've seen in the past couple of weeks, this is the one I've thought about most.

I have some thoughts, but I'll put it in a spoiler, because I would urge people to see it and make up their own minds.
    The fight club in the former basement of a hotel seemed unrealistic, until I remembered the time I worked in a restaurant kitchen. I did the salads. There were two line cooks, one seafood, one steaks.

The steak cook had apparently been a knife thrower in a carnival earlier in his career. He wore a straw cowboy hat rather than a chef's hat.

We went through dishwashers at a pretty rapid clip, because he'd occasionally shout "heads up!" and start throwing steak knives into a battered cutting board that sat on a rack above the dishwasher.

The seafood chef had the habit of naming the lobsters before he plunged them into the boiling water - "You look like a Floyd. You're going to die Floyd."

I could easily see dishwashers and back boys taking the opportunity to get their own back against the cooks.

There was a throwaway line that Cage's character Rob was a Buddhist. I think he genuinely was, because he did not lift his hands when he entered a fight.

The only act of violence he engaged in was kicking the door of that unbelievably ugly car.

We had two broken men, Robin (Cage) and Darius (Arkin), both of whom had lost their wives - one in a mausoleum, the other as a vegetable. They reacted in completely different ways, one in business trying to crush every competitor even his own son, the other completely retreating from all human contact, except one person who just saw him as a ATM - and was the son of the other man.

Robin tried to make a contact by making the meal that was apparently the only pleasant date night Darius had with his now comatose wife. And found he'd lost the only thing he'd been able to love in 15 years.

8. DVD? What's that? :p

I want to see this, though.

9. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I think doing these kind roles is going to do mental damage Nic, someday you will see it in news.

10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

How’s it possible? :)

Shoes1916 likes this.
  11. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I am not seeing a movie named Pig at the movies, the eventual DVD? Ok.

Shoes1916 likes this.
  12. Chris DeVoe

It's a very tiny film, so you'll probably only see it at a multiplex where the manager is allowed some leeway in programming - 20 screens or more. Otherwise, they'll need to devote most of their screens to the top 10 most popular films. Only half of the AMC multiplexes in the Kansas City area are showing it.

Or are you saying that there's no way you'll ask the person selling tickets for a ticket to "Pig?" If that's the case, just buy it from the kiosk or via the app.

13. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

what names would you see in the theater? … more vowels? 3 words?

parasite, possibly? Oh, that’s run already…

14. Chris DeVoe

I should mention that the animal in question was, in the very memorable words of Jules Winnfield in the movie Pulp Fiction, "one charming motherf***ing pig."

15. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

You mean like saving a career? That kind of damage?

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  16. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

Oh, it’s charming alright… having seen the movie this afternoon, I can’t think of a better title. Workable alternative, yes. Better, no

brownie61 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  17. downer

downer Senior Member

That'll do, pig... that'll do...

Shoes1916 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  18. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

So glad to hear!

I'd all but sworn off after seeing some of those IRS movies...

19. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

7.1 vs. 9.7 I’d call a moderate difference…

Far lower—3 or 4 vs. 10

it IS a “critics darling” — with good reason.

20. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

He had problems with strong rolls when died his hair black for a role I foreget.. it was in 90's
    he was the villian I think? but a strong role.. He was on morning radio show in that time I remember him saying..
    these type roles take over him he brings it home.. and to break out of that cycle he kept repeating
    the phrase fruit juice in in different ways..

21. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Chris, thanks so much for the spoilers...puts some things into context that my shady hearing might have crept past my understanding.

Saw this tonight at our local indie cinema. DEFINITELY a must-see for 2021, and the most rewarding film of a very short string of movie-nights-out I've enjoyed thus far this year.

Yes, some are going to call it a "critics darling", and if only because they can't imagine themselves seeing a movie about a hairy slob-guy who used to be a good actor, who let his career slide...and, something about a pig. Too damn bad, if you can't see what's in front of you on the screen. My wife was with me, and though she quite liked it, she was more amazed at how much gasping and "squee"ing I was doing. Two of our friends behind us, felt it was "okay" ( :wtf: ), but nothing to write home about. And I could see, they just weren't really in the mood to see "a movie you've simply gotta see" that night, that they weren't in the mood to get. But, I love learning plot points just by paying attention.

Yeah, this one is gonna stick with me for a long time as well. It's the first film in over a year that has reached-out to me on the basis of, the viewer not being spoon-fed what's going on. You are (and I love films that do this) plopped-down into the middle of the story, and given your own perceptions to understand, just how much of significance has happened before you came into it, and it's up to you to figure that out. It's a film where you have to be perceptive to what the actors aren't telling you, so you can figure out why the characters are so motivated. And I'm hard of hearing, so I'm pretty sure I missed a lot of details, but - whoo! So much detail, to begin with! From the moment Cage gets up off the cabin floor, and you can't see his bloody head, but you can see the light through his hair, to understand how much this has hurt...you understand, this is a film rich in cinematographic detail. Every shot, every sequence, every reveal, is designed to remind you, you're on your own, and you gotta keep up.

It's what "cinema" is good for. And, anything that give you a chance to see Alan Arkin do his thing...is also a blessing.

I don't remember being this blown away since coming out from Terrence Malick's Tree Of Life...and then, learning that my friend who sat right next to me the entire time, saw an entirely different movie...because he wasn't open to being communicated with in that manner. He needed a Marvel superhero movie, that he could grok. A story told in visuals without a life preserver of exposition...not his thing. And so, I guess I should have expected his obstinate reaction to it as we came out this evening.

Big Night
    Ratatoille
    Pig

Three amazing films that make you hungry for something you cannot smell, taste, or feel viscerally...on the basis of what is up there on the screen, for you to either taste for yourself...or, go out for fast food, your loss.

22. Chris DeVoe

Glad I could help.

Dillydipper likes this.
  23. Chris DeVoe

My wife and I just saw Pig in the theater again. Every bit as powerful as before.

Dissidence likes this.
  24. dynamicalories

dynamicalories Forum Resident

I was really emotionally raw when I left the theater. Really great film and wonderful performances from Cage and Alex Wolff.

Dissidence and Chris DeVoe like this.
  25. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

This scene alone convinced me that I need to see this, how & when I don't know.