Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

But wasn't it a pleasant experience? I thought they got along that day.

Maybe it wasn't like that at all.

2. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

It prob had more to do with paying him, imho

Geordiepete likes this.
  3. Nasnandos

Nasnandos Forum Resident

And they did not play anything from "The Later Years" at Live 8.

4. Trainspotting

That shouldn't matter. Not everything they played live during the Pulse, Delicate Sound of Thunder, or the other two concerts on the box were later years stuff either.

5. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

When Dave & Nick (and later, Rick) continued Pink Floyd, it was to prove that they could run Pink Floyd as a viable enterprise without Roger.

Because of this, 'The Later Years' box is 100% Rog-free. A one-off reunion with Roger to play (let's face it) Roger's songs does not fit within this framework.

6. Nasnandos

Nasnandos Forum Resident

Everything played on those tours was by the "Later Years" version of Pink Floyd.

fishcane likes this.
  7. Trainspotting

100% Rog-free, huh? That's funny, because there's plenty of songs on those live concerts on The Later Years box which are Roger-written or co-written.

Frans T and Billy Infinity like this.
  8. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

It’s not 100% rog free but you see the point

9. Trainspotting

Floyd played "Breathe," "Money," "Wish You Were Here," and "Comfortably Numb" at Live 8. All of which are also on The Later Years in live form. Now, I understand if they simply didn't want Roger on any video on the box, or his voice. If that's the case, then so be it. I was just wondering why that performance wasn't included if they all got along that day is all.

I would've liked to have had it on blu. I'll bet so would a lot of other Floyd fans.

10. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Live8 was also played by the "Later Years" version with Roger Waters guesting.

11. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Money is a Roger song but the others are all co-writes.

Trainspotting likes this.
  12. Tom Hinde

Tom Hinde Forum Resident

I've read a few interviews with Tim Renwick (who played with Roger in 1984 and Floyd 1987-90 and 1994 + Live8) about Live8.

'It didn't turn out to be much of a laugh! Roger appeared to want to be “group leader” from the start of rehearsals and it made for an uncomfortable atmosphere all round. He did not seem to credit the fact that most of the musicians and crew had worked together on and off for 17 years without him being there!' - Interview with Tim Renwick! |

'Roger was at least an hour late turning up each day. He would arrive with this attitude of, “Right, I’m here now, we can begin”, which is what he used to do years ago. It’s a stunt, and he’d be making wild suggestions about rearranging things, because with his band he’d done things at different tempos and so on, and keys. David, bless him, was very accommodating, but at the end of the day he had to turn around and say, “Look, we’re doing four numbers and, at the end of the day, people are expecting to hear the hits exactly the way they sounded in the old days”.

There wasn’t a single person in the room that Roger hadn’t upset at some point in his career. So there was a lot of people standing around, looking very tight-lipped, being incredibly professional and keeping their heads down slightly, and doing what they were told. It should have been a real laugh and it wasn’t, in the final analysis, because Roger was still so hung up on trying to do it all his way.' - 50 Years Of Pink Floyd: A Most Unlikely Reunion | Louder

Then you've Gilmour saying 'rehearsals convinced me it wasn't something I wanted to do a lot of'.

I'm not sure it was an entirely pleasant experience, at least not for Gilmour. The actual show probably was fine, but all the buildup was probably quite a painful exercise.

13. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I’d like to have it on Blu-ray also but it would def feel out of place on this set and the narrative that they were going for

pablorkcz and PhoffiFozz like this.
  14. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

I picked up the 1 CD highlights of the box set as a Christmas gift and the sound quality is great. I enjoy the disc very much!

coffeetime and ARK like this.
  15. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

I don’t know whether the Live 8 show was considered for inclusion, but Gilmour seems to have made the final call regarding what material was included, so that seems the most likely reason.

rontoon and croquetlawns like this.
  16. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

So that's goodbye to Live8, La Carrera Panamericana and Peace Be With You. Three reasons I would have sprung for this box.

17. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

My point is (and I shouldn't need to explain it) is that there is not a single Roger Waters performance on the box set. Omitting Live 8 keeps it that way.

I'm more puzzled by the omission of La Carrera Panamericana.

18. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Owning the material already in one form or another, I’m just as happy it isn’t. Or at the very least am not missing it

MechanicalAnimal6 likes this.
  19. Trainspotting

Of course there's not a Waters performance on the box set, Roger never performed with the band during the years in question except for Live 8 (and I really shouldn't have needed to explain that). I'm just saying it would've been nice to have had that performance included. I don't know why this is so difficult to grasp.

20. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

While it was a nice way to send things off, it def doesn’t fit the narrative of the set. It’s not missed by me. Edited for the clarity of others

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  21. Nasnandos

Nasnandos Forum Resident

That's the point. Roger was in it - it was the classic PF quartet on stage, plus Dick Parry, who played in the old and new lineups. Only Tim and Jon from the later years band were on stage, and their playing was minimal.

22. Trainspotting

You mean you don't miss it.... Lol. Don't speak for others.

23. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Of course I mean me, isn’t this entire forum about ones personal views on things? You offered yours by saying it would be nice to have

24. Trainspotting

The difference is, I used the pronoun "I." So there's no doubt I'm talking about myself.

25. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

i edited it so there would there should be no further confusion. Not sure why it’s so difficult to grasp

superstar19 likes this.