DCC Archive Queen - why only "A Night....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Unknown, Sep 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unknown

Unknown Guest Thread Starter

Just received my DCC 180gm vinyl of the above and was absolutely blown away by the sound. It was like listening to a new album, the Prophet Song which had irritated me before is a sonic delight. Freddies voice, always something special really soars and the intricate choir like effect that they always liked is really something to marvel at.
    What I wanted to know was, Steve, why only one? What about the rest of the Queen catalogue, there are so many gems. have they just closed shop. What was your feed back from the band on your version, did they in fact give any feedback?

in fact do you generally get feedback from bands that you re master?
    regards
    neal

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Several more Queens are in the works....Including (at the end) a "24 karat hits"... :)

George P likes this.
  3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

One of the rarer times DCC got a chance to put out the CD and 180g Lp. I just got the CD, I've had the LP since release. The CD is a real sonic wakeup! Just when you thought the vinyl had mundo soundstage.... :gasp: The CD is possibly one of Steve's best work to date as well.

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Now *that* I would buy - make it a double!

5. Unknown

Steve that sounds great....but what about the feedback...did any band members comment on your work or is this unusual for the bands themselves to become involved in the re-mastering of their work.

on the whole are bands/ musicians really interested in the quality out there? i remember when the zeppelin remasters came out it was because jimmy page was unhappy with what the public was getting or is that all marketing talk.

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Hi Neal,

DCC sent first pressings and 24 Karat Gold CD's of "Night At The Opera" to all the surviving members of the band, their managers, record execs, etc. Someone liked it for sure, because they invited us to do more! But, no one from the band called us directly.

That can happen, though; Elton John, all of the surviving Doors, Ginger Baker, Jack Bruce, Paul McCartney, Bob Seger, Brian Wilson, Bonnie Raitt, and others have contacted us saying they love the stuff.

George P and C6H12O6 like this.
  7. Sckott

Neal,

It's my understanding that Pagey wasn't happy with what Atlantic had to master those Cds originally. He and Marino went batty for 3-4 years trying to hunt down the tapes. He had some, Island supposedly had a tape, etc... I don't think it was peer pressure from public, although everyone was thirsty BIG time for Zep product. It's since calmed. We have vinyl, some live Cds and other stuff to keep us busy for now. :)

8. Unknown

Steve, the "24 Karat Hits" sounds like a great idea.

Count me in!

9. Unknown

I've just started getting some of those classic record reissues of Zep. so far i have III and IV, i have been very impressed blows the remastered CD's away. the recorder at the beginning of stairway gave me goosebumps. this month i plan to get "Presence" my favourite Zep album.

reading on the rest of the sight and listening to my own collection its a real pity that some great bands (Stones and beatles being the one's that spring to mind) have such crap sounding product. esp when you consider how great the stones sound on the "Stripped" CD.

10. Elton

Elton I Hope Being Helpful, Will Make Me Look Cool

Steve,

I'd want a copy of the 24k hits (I hope it's a double too!). But do the titles that have not been done on gold dics before(Jazz).

11. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Steve,
    I know that you can not give out specific details, but could you give a window that one could be looking for a DCC Queen release. I love "A night at the Opera" as does my office mate, a Japanese who is a major Queen fan (He saw them in concert in Tokyo years ago, has all of their albums sans DCC, etc) When I first played the disc, he was stunned at the quality of the sound. His copy was no where as good as the job you did (we did compare them). Apparently DCC does not have much of a market share in Japan, as he had never heard of DCC or you (no one here seems to, which is rather odd for a people who are obsessed with the quality of their music and the way it sounds). When I told him that there may be more titles available, he became quite excited, particularly when you consider that a copy might cost about $35, the same price as a new CD here in Japan. As far as he is concerned, what a bargain. I have agreed to order them for him from DCC as they become available (with copies for myself, of course). Any clue to a projected release date would be appreciated. Thanks! :D

12. KLM

KLM Senior Member

Steve,
    Count me in on the queen remasters as well.

13. Sckott

I'll be dead pleased to hear "News Of The World" from DCC. Both LP and CD formats. That album's sounded all-over-the-place sonically. I really don't think anyone's put justice to that title. The Peter Mew remaster is the best out there now, and it's way too pushed and harsh. There's improvement to me made. Steve made "Opera" seem like a piece of cake.

14. KLM

KLM Senior Member

I would love to see their entire early catalog re-released on lp especially Sheer Heart Attack. I wouldn't mind seeing Inneundo redone as well-there last album finished together and very under rated.

15. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Your right KLM, the spanish guitar in the title track of Innuendo (with Steve Howe of Yes helping out) kicks butt. I thought it was the best thing they'd done since the 70's and when I bought it about 10 years ago. I thought they might be making a comeback. It was only a couple of days after I bought the album that Freddy died.

16. GeddyLeeFan

GeddyLeeFan Active Member

what happened to Queen "24 KARAT HITS" CD DCC? i would like to hear! :-D

George P and C6H12O6 like this.
  17. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Damn. Any details? Would love to hear stories on all of these.

18. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Even an AF remaster of Queen's original UK version of Greatest Hits would be enough for me. (Though feel free to squeeze in "Under Pressure" on that collection.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.