REcord Stores: Providence, RI

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by zphage, Nov 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zphage

zphage genre fluid Thread Starter

No response to thread in Store's section of the Forum, figure I'll try the general Forum.

Any recommendations? Vinyl, CDs, etc.,

2. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure Round Again Records is still there on Wickenden Street, just as it has been since forever. At the other end of Wickenden Street there's a newer store, called Olympic Records (indie-rock oriented, but still a pretty wide selection).

There are others. With all respect, a five-second Google search of "record stores providence ri" will give you all the info you need.

CCrider92 likes this.
  3. zphage

zphage genre fluid Thread Starter

Yeah, Round and round doesn't get good reviews I see.

CCrider92 likes this.
  4. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Tom is correct and do as he says about googling. Not far from Providence is In Your Ear in Warren, RI. In Somerset, MA, about 20 minutes from Providence is Sunset Records run by Bob Boyer who is super knowledgeable about records. I have to say that these stores are very fair in their prices. I know that Round Again and Sunset clean their LP's with machines and sell very good quality used LP's. Yes, you will pay a lot more for rare stuff, of course. I've been going to these stores for a very long time.

5. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Round Again is a great little store with excellent prices for quality used records. The owner is very knowledgeable and caring about what he sells. The problem is his attitude which can be extremely sarcastic, abrasive, and unfriendly. He doesn't know me personally despite the number of times I've been there, but he's a long time friend of one of my brothers-in-law. One time I almost said to Steve, "You know, my brother-in-law raves about you, but I think you're an f'n jerk." Perhaps I should have said it. Anyway, I wouldn't let his personality issues prevent you from going to the store.

6. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

Ha ha, it doesn't? I moved away from Providence quite a few years ago, so I haven't been to Round Again in a long time. But I may have bought more great records there than any other store, anywhere. Most of the really collectible records I own were bought there.

Don't know if the original owner, Steve, is still running it. He could/can be a bit surly, and that may be why web reviews are mixed. But once you know him, he's a great guy.

CCrider92 likes this.
  7. petercl

petercl Forum Resident

There's a lot of choices here. In Providence you have Round Again, Olympic, Analogue Underground, and Armageddon. Within 15 minutes you have In You Ear, Sunset, Vault Vinyl, and 2 Time Capsules. They all hve their plusses and minuses. IYE and Round Again might be the 2 best.

CCrider92 and zphage like this.
  8. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

That`s so funny about Steve from Round Again.Maybe he should get his own thread!We can invite him to answer inquiries.:)
    ......Still I`ve found so many clean vinyl & cd treasures in that tiny little Winckenden Street shop wich I`ve never seen in as pristine shape elsewhere.Ramones,Sex Pistols,Zeppelin,Floyd,Stones,Doors,jazz,Who,Stones,Beatles...
    There is also this Antique Mall store in Central falls right off 95.I still think it`s worth it to travel up to Norwood Newbury Comics.

9. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

My go-to store in RI is Time Capsule at 537 Pontiac Ave in Cranston, RI and also at 1732 Fall River Ave in nearby Seekonk MA. LP’s are $4 each, and could be anywhere between NM to fair condition. Lesser condition LP’s are $1 each. I’ve scored many NM albums for $4. At any one time they have about two dozen “rare” albums at higher prices, but still lower than eBay prices. About a year ago, I was looking through the records in the Rare section and I find a NM, Rob Grennel mastered Led Zeppelin I with A1/A1 matrix. It was marked $20. I almost fainted! Couldn’t wait to get that one home!

The Time Capsule -

zphage likes this.
  10. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I'll add Sunset Records in Somerset, Massachusetts, to make it a trio of the 3 best in the area.

petercl likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.