SH Spotlight SH Forum members: Are your speakers in correct phase?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Forum Resident

I have had a horrible time with dealers putting my car speakers out of phase (didn't even know what I was talking about).
    I have gotten to where I check it, and sometimes fix it myself.

2. DrPhibes

DrPhibes Vengeful Revenant and 5.1 Fanbeast

Yes - although the first time I set up my system it was out of phase.

I'm no expert on this, so I'd appreciate some feedback. Do the auto-setup functions on Yamaha receivers with the included mic give good information, or should I trust my ears more?

3. joethomas1

joethomas1 Forum Resident

I have a setup using a cd player, pre amp and active monitors connected using rca leads, is this still something I need to check?

4. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

I have a Radio Shack HT setup disk that plays some white noise amongst the 5 channels so you ear can tell if the speakers are in phase with each other. According to my ears they were but I checked all the cabling anyway to make sure. It was easy to do since I'm using flat speaker cables pinned above the baseboards and the polarities are labeled on the wires and my crimp insulators are color coded.

5. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I've been there, too.
    Mammoth frustration.
    "Professionals."

Rock Stamberg

6. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I never ceased to be amazed when I go into record stores how many of the systems they are using to play the music are out of phase!

JG

7. Thin Man

Thin Man Forum Resident

Steve:

Thanks for bringing this up. Phase is a secret fear on mine.

I am pretty sure my speakers are in phase but I am too frightened to test since I have three way active speakers (that's six speaker cables) and it all seems a bit too much sometimes.

Maybe soon I'll get the nerve to do it.

Jay

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Make the effort, mark your cables so you know what went where and figure it out. Your ears will thank you (also the bass response).

9. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

After switching from my old trusted Harman Kardon 6100 to my newly aquired Yamaha CR-820 I noted that something was wrong with the sound. The HK sounded warm, the Yamaha made my ears bleed. Great disappointment, is this the famous natural sound? I checked the speakers and one actually was out of phase! I would never had thought what a big difference an out of phase speaker makes. Annoyingly shrill highs, no real bass and an overall unpleasant sound.Boy, amI glad, to have checked the phase issue!

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  10. Thin Man

Thin Man Forum Resident

Test done! All in phase!

What a relief!

Thank you, Steve.

11. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Same here!

12. Steve Hoffman

Better for the digestion.

13. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Cool. And funny that a big record company had difficulty with in phase wiring :D

Mine is in phase.
    Stereo imaging is also rather cool.

14. dhoffa85

dhoffa85 Well-Known Member

You'd be surprised, I have heard stories about some people with big time systems and didn't even have them set up in phase.

15. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

The "Stay In Tune With PentaTone" SACD has lots of test tones including phase checks and is pretty cheap and available.
    So I am definitely In Phase.

16. jricc

jricc Senior Member

I did this test, just for the hell of it, with the mono Thank You Girl, and my speakers were in phase , still it was fun to do and I got to Past Masters for the first time in a long while, thanks Steve.

17. Steve Hoffman

You're welcome. Glad yer in phase, pardner!

18. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

and make sure those rca plugs are way into the amplifier with the grounds touching, or it will sounds like fake stereo with little bass and low hum :winkgrin:

19. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Helpful thread! Just checked and corrected mine. Thanks!

20. JJ3810

JJ3810 Senior Member

21. coffeecupman

coffeecupman Forum Resident

Is there a particular type of recording or sound that makes polarity more easy to discern?

I haven't done a polarity test in a long time. Back then my system wasn't as resolving as it is now. I couldn't hear a difference.

I probably could now, but is there a recommended CD that really makes it stand out clearly?

This would also help us demonstrate to others.

Thanks,
    ccm

22. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

Can't find anything in my manual but I have a NAD C 165BEE pre-amp and wondering if anyone knows whether, as Steve describes, my preamp inverts phase. My guess is no. It's a fairly low end (meaning NOT $2,000+) so I'm thinking I should probably stick with pos-pos and neg-neg but thought I'd ask.

23. Steve Hoffman

You're fine.

24. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

------------------------
    Used the Stereophile CD-2 Test cd any time I move my gear around. Ralph, the dog, is a great help.

on7green likes this.
  25. Steve Hoffman

Yes, he is. Makes it easier.