The best region for Audiophile

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thomaskong, May 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

This is a map that would determine where I would want to live near in Washington: Trails
    I'll look at a map of local stereo stores and record stores after after that.

I lived in the Seattle area for a decade, and spent a year in Port Townsend, until the mid 2000s. I miss the mountain biking and hiking in Washington.

WapatoWolf likes this.
  2. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

Also earthquakes that could make the stylus skip are rare.

33na3rd likes this.
  3. finn

finn Forum Resident

I just spent almost 4 weeks travelling around the east coast of your fair country and personally, I found Nantucket to be the best location possible for audio pursuits. Indoor weather for audio listening 9 months of the year, no neighbours for 10 months of the year, excellent seafood, very good bottle shops and localised craft brewing, NY is occasionally accessible when required. Seriously, I would relocate and set up the Nantucket AN dealership if I had a spare $20 million to buy in. Secondly would be just a little area between Georgetown and DuPont Circle in Washington DC. Absolutely charming.
    Cheers.

matro5, james, 4xoddic and 3 others like this.
  4. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident Thread Starter

Nice map.

Oregon is not that bad for audiophile.

But I am happy here in Northwest of Washington State.

I can play as loud as I want even at midnight as long as I close the windows.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  5. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

You are clearly a man of exquisite taste. If you twist that line between locales by about .5 degrees, you will have replicated the Kennedy family axis (Georgetown and Hyannis Port)!

finn likes this.
  6. thomaskong

You have a nice point.

Italy could be good place for audiophile.

I also heard good things about Portugal.

7. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

How about Munich?

I only spent 10 days there last year, but it looked to me like the standard of living is very high. Plus, they have an annual hi end audio show there, they produce some of the best LP pressings in the world, and you can't throw a stick without hitting a record store.

Oh, and beer! :love:

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    ss nimrod and Dennis Metz like this.
  8. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

The Mid-Hudson Valley NY has a nice temperate climate for the audiophile, and to the north a little cooler and drier in the Catskill region. I think however, a good location should include stereo shops within realistic traveling distance. This area isn't what it used to be, zero dealers anywhere between NYC and Albany!

I remember a time we had several shops within a 10 mile radius, Lafayette Radio & Electronics, and they did have a listening room. Lafayette carried Pioneer, AR, Sony, Heathkit, and their own branded products, tons of electronic parts. We had Arnee' Audio who carried Marantz, Magnepan, Ohm, Pioneer, and the mighty Phase Linear 700B (which drove the Ohm Walsh F.. fantastic) many more.... Sound Odessey offered higher end gear, Acoustat, KEF, Dahlquist, Luxman, Nakamichi, Adcom, Hafler... Dutchess Audio was smaller, lower end stuff such as BSR, BIC, Kenwood ... Stereo Magic is memorable for the cleanest FM receivers I've ever auditioned, Tandberg, they also carried Marantz receivers, EPI speakers, seem to recall AR.... all shops well stocked, Signet, Yamaha, Denon, many more... New Paltz Audio was the "last man standing" who had taken on trade a pair of Apogee Duetta Signature two's, factory custom painted in piano black with gold leaf accents, gorgeous in appearance and sound. He was asking only 2k in 1996.

All of the shops were closed by the early to mid 90's, outdone by their competitor, Circuit City. My last visit to Sound Odessey wasn't a visit at all, the owners had placed a sign on the door which read "We Give Up". Then Best Buy came to town, and put Circuit City out of business.

4xoddic likes this.
  9. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

The weather is great, the people are lovely, and it's very affordable...

LP pressings from Portugal aren't so good though.

LitHum05 and thomaskong like this.
  10. thomaskong

There are many things good about NY like good high end shops around.

But electricity cost and property tax is really high.

I would not move to NY as semi retired.

Tawaun A Williams and The FRiNgE like this.
  11. Ham Sandwich

And you're within a half-hour drive to several good mountain bike trails in Bellingham, Anacortes and around. In my estimation that makes it a good place to be. Better than where I'm at in Oregon.

12. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I lived in Spokane for a few years. Good area for outdoor pursuits.

13. thomaskong

You had moved form Spokane to Tennessee!

It is good to live around Spokane but it is too hot during summer and cold during winter over there.

14. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

How long have you lived in Washington?

15. thomaskong

I had lived in Washington State for 7 years.

But before that I had lived in BC, Canada across the border for 6 years.

It is just one hour drive from the former house in BC to my present house in WA.:)

WapatoWolf and Spitfire like this.
  16. Omnio

Omnio _ _ _ ____ ____ _ _ _

I moved to Los Angeles from rural Penn State. Hifi-wise the difference is more than significant. Many of the headphone and stereo shows occur here (both local and world-renowned), tons of audiophiles around, extremely vibrant second-hand gear exchange and hifi dealers galore. I'm in the pink.

33na3rd and Ham Sandwich like this.
  17. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

You guys do have a 'major' traffic problem.

I remember the 1990s Seattle. I was just there 5+ times, one time for 2 weeks. It was really nice then.

18. Ham Sandwich

The dream of the 90s has died in Seattle...

Sleepless In Seattle references no longer even seem relevant in Seattle.

19. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Had a good music scene too, think it was Capital Hill?? Can't really remember.

20. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Seattle's sure not the place I first saw 35 years ago.

bluesky likes this.
  21. AshS

AshS Forum Resident

Any members of the Pacific Northwest Audio Society in here? I was thinking about checking it out.

22. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

Which stores did you check out? I've acquired most of my equipment from Hawthorne Stereo, typically used, but I've never done a lot of auditioning. All the cartridges I've tried were bought online. It looks like Gig Harbor Audio carries a lot of interesting brands, but I'm not sure what they keep stocked.

33na3rd likes this.
  23. AshS

AshS Forum Resident

Hawthorne is ok for the used gear they carry but when I was looking for a new cartridge they did not have anything over $500. I think used gear is fun to check out but their selection isn't very high end. I also prefer new gear. Same with Magnolia/Best Buy in Northgate. Definitive Audio has crazy high end stuff but not a lot of variety at different price points. I did get to listen to a pair of speakers there, which I ultimately ended up getting online. To make a long story short, 9 months ago I went in for a speaker audition. The pushy salesperson was pressuring me to buy and tried to convince me that because the speakers I liked were the last floor models they would not be around long. As of this past weekend they were still listed on their website. It's a shame I had a bad experience because I really enjoy supporting local businesses. As a millennial, I do not have the patience for pushiness or know-it-all attitudes. I have also been to Tune Hi-Fi in downtown Seattle. It's a nice shop if you're into Naim (which I'm not). I have found the online shops with lots of choices at various price points to be better for me. I wish I could find a no-pressure store in Seattle that could match the online experience.

Right now I'm looking for a phono stage. Will hopefully get a callback from Upscale Audio tomorrow.

dbsea likes this.
  24. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

Obviously you’re not speaking of Washington State which has a number of volcanos and is on a major fault. Things get shaken up here on a regular basis.

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  25. thomaskong

I had lived in California for 6 and half years during 1980's and experienced many tremors due to earthquakes.

But I had never experienced any noticeable tremor in Washington State during 7 years.

Thus it is rather safe here.

East coastal area is exposed to hurricane during summer time and central region is going through tornados.

In comparison, I feel rather safe in Washington State.

But it is possible that some big Earthquake could come here in next 30 years.

The chance is more high that I do not outlive it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.