The "New" DRAGNET TV Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Khorn, Mar 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

I really like the new Dragnet TV series. I think that the portrayal of Sgt. Joe Friday by Ed O'neill is 'right on' and is complimented very well by Ethan Embry's Det. Frank Smith.

IMHO the show is well paced, interesting, focused, and not burdened with extraneous plot lines. Probably the biggest question was: could O'Neill overcome the association with the 'Al Bundy' character. Sure I guess we all see Al Bundy when first viewing O'Neill, but I find that is soon forgotten. In fact, I think O'Neill is so suited to and able to carry this new role so well that, if this show remains on the air as long as I hope it will Sgt. Joe Friday will be the character that Ed O'Neill will ultimately be remembered for.

Guess I must like the show :D

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I like the show, but Ethan Embry has got to go! He looks like a kid in clothes too big for him. Could be his wardrobe person, I dunno. Those two guys look like Mutt and Jeff. Ethan just doesn't look like a cop to me after those teen flicks, balding or not!

I like the fact that the show doesn't go into the drama of the cops personal lives (like on NYPD Blue or the show that drives me nuts "Third Watch"). That really wears on me after a while. Just hunt the bad guys! I also like the fact that there is just ONE plot line!

I'm also glad none of the cops on Dragnet strip naked like on "Blue". That would not be a good thing.

I like the show though!

3. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I've been happily surprised with the new show as well. From the creator of Law & Order, a series which has looked back to the original Dragnet from the start anyway.
    I like both lead actor's work. They have a real chemistry that seems to be evolving as the show progresses. Slight bits of humor, but nothing that overwhelms the plot.

The original Dragnet was pretty much the mold for all cop shows to follow, so it's kinda cool to see this new Dragnet come full circle.

Dan C

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Ethan was great as The bass player in "That Thing You Do" He played a great "Harpo" role...love the scene when he jumps up after winning the talent show and down goes the bass! Very funny...I thought he does a fine job next to Ed O'Neil...Nice blend of characters.

5. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Haven't missed one yet! I always liked the old Jack Webb shows and was curious when I heard that it was going to be revived. Couldn't believe that O'Neill was going to play Joe Friday. Was never a fan of his comedy show. He is perfect though. He does come across as a hard guy that's seen it all. It just goes to show that you 've got to give an actor or actress the benefit of the doubt about other roles and try to not stereotype them. I also like that the private life is ignored. Wouldn't mind a scene or two of him going home or leaving but don't want to know about his private time.

6. RDK

RDK Active Member

Since the series comes from the same producers as the "Law & Order" shows (which are usually structured with cops investigating a crime, catching a suspect, and turning him or her over to the D.A. for prosecution), I like to joke that "Dragnet" is 99% law and only 1% order (with the 1% order part being the brief mug shot at the end).

What's cool about the show is that they shoot a lot of real locations around town. About a week or two before the first show aired (but after they started airing the promos with Ed O'Neil), my wife and I were driving down the street about 2 blocks from our house. Now they do a lot of shooting in my neighborhood so it's no big deal to me - if anything, the trucks, bright lights, and traffic congestion can be a hassle. But anyway, we were driving past a shoot and wondering out loud what they were filming. We stopped at the intersection and looked over to the right and there was Ed O'Neil standing on the sidewalk not ten feet away from us. Al Bundy himself! (One of my heroes! ;))

The episode aired a few weeks later - the one with the serial killer offing members of his family.

Ray

7. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

Imagine what a wacky world this would be if everyone "looked like they were supposed to"? I think atypical characters add to a show. I had the same impression (of Embry) that you do but it faded fairly quickly. Some people are at their best when portraying a certain type of character. For example Danny Devito always shows up very well as a nasty weasel yet somewhat comic type as he was in the Louie part on Taxi. The same with John Cleese who has yet to be outdone as the Basil Fawlty character.

Give it a chance, It just might grow on you as it is. I think it is in for the long run.

8. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Aaaah, but the ratings would go up. That's how they get women to watch cop shows. Hmmm...also makes me realize why the show is called "NYPD Blue". :mad:

Now, if it was Detective Anna Kournikova doing a scene in the shower, then maybe I'd change my perverted little mind... :D

9. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I was greatly surprised at how good the new show is. Yes, it was hard to get past "Al Bundy", but once you do, Ed does a great job as Joe Friday.

10. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Hey, Sharon Lawrence and Gail Grady were pretty foxy, IMHO, and they both got their nude day in the shower, as it were....

In truth, the nudity was a lot less than people think they remember, mainly because at one point or another, all the major characters had to peel just once--kind of a *hazing* thing on the show. But it didn't happen often, and even when it did, was no big deal. But, of course, a heavily promoted angle by ABC and the producers. All about ratings, but it was the occasional, explicit profanity that remains the most interesting 'extra' on the program, to this day.

Just picked up the Season 1 NYPD box. The show never really got better than that, though it didn't exactly turn bad, just different. I liked Caruso's performance, and his chemistry with Dennis Franz was unique--the only time Sipowicz had an equal for a partner, really, a guy also with inner demons, only better hidden.

Another interesting thing is, once you get acclimated to the show's groove, the handheld, constantly moving camera shots are hardly noticed. And it seems there's less of that now than during the early seasons.

ED:cool:

11. Michael

ED, Can't agree with ya on the first season of NYPD...Enjoy the later years far more...

12. Michael

Rudy,
    The recent Ross Nude scene was...WOW!
    Did ya see it?

13. Michael

I dunno Steve, Ed "Al Bundy" O'Neil seemed to like his "Butt" In Married With Children...We might just see an Ed "Moon"...

14. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Forum Resident

I have also enjoyed the Dragnet shows I've seen. What I find confusig isthat I read an interview where, I'll call him te actor who plays Joe Friday, said that h really was Al Bundy and that Ed O'Neill is a fictional character.

15. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I haven't turned on network TV in a decade...I don't even know what a Ross is! I've just heard enough talk about most of today's series that there are few, if any, I'd want to watch. Still a single-TV house for hte most part, and I'm low man on the totem pole around here. I even shut off the DSS service on my downstairs projection set since i only turned it on a few times.

No...if I want nudes, I'll hit National Geographic, or I'll see if I can get a free DVD with my next Adam & Eve order. ;) :D :laugh:

16. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

I like the show too.Really enjoyed the recent episode that was a battle of wits with the head of a security agency for the stars.I watch it and tape Boomtown,another good police drama.

17. NoTinEar

NoTinEar Suspended

I have to say I enjoy the show too I wasn't sure I was going to get into yet another police drama, but as Steve said this is really about the cases and working them and the inner workings of PD department in a city such as LA. I also have to say even though she doesn't get much screen time it's much appreciated to see Lindsay Crouse playing a role on TV. She was so damn good in Mamet's House of Games among other things. Ed played a cop before, as a matter of fact Popye Doyle, in a tv movie that was quite good. I think he has good range and has some real acting chops. As an aside, the pq in HD is as good as any tv produced show from the major networks out there, which is to say very good looking. That really helps at least in my case giving it a more of a movie feel then a hour show. Last, sense it was mentioned Boomtoom is an EXCELLENT show that I hope does not fall prey to NBC dicking around with it's writing or acting, etc. Great stuff.

18. Michael

Hmmm...Adam & Eve...Kinky!LOL...We're a one TV family also...no cable...3 channels...Luckily we like a few shows that are on every week, NYPD Blue and The New Twilight Zone. My wife loves the Judge Shows! We're also big movie fans and we always try and spend time together watching DVD's...The Ross scene in NYPD Blue was the most risque' yet...My wife never liked NYPD blue till the last few seasons...

19. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Dragnet's a great show; I watch it whenever I can. One of the cable channels reruns the episode that ABC airs on the previous Sunday — that's when we watch it.

Too bad it conflicts with Boomtown, which is currently my favorite cop show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.