Wings: Wild Life & Red Rose Speedway (Expanded Reissue)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Oct 18, 2018.

1. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

2. BuCo

:cool:

(and hey, post 5000!)

3. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

Whoah, totally different mix of Seaside Woman...

4. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

What a Mess
    :)

theMess, boggs and maccawings like this.
  5. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

This sounds great, but where are the vocals? I like that version better!

Can someone comment on the Wings Over Europe disc, how's the sound quality?

6. BuCo

Never took the time to listen to this song, and boy, what was I missing!:

7. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

I think those were recorded later on. This is probably the time appropriate mix

Darrin L. likes this.
  8. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    theMess likes this.
  9. BuCo

'Thank You Darling' does sound a bit off:

10. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

The extra vocals were written and recorded much later on, probably late 70's during some of the Cold Cuts revisions. This is the original version.

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  11. BuCo

This was a real gem while listening to 'Wild Life':

winston32, theMess, csnfan and 11 others like this.
  12. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

The demos and other material on this bonus album apart from finally having Give Ireland Back To The Irish and Love Is Strange single edit on LP are simply dreadful. Dear Friend is one long annoying mess. I could barely tolerate it on the LP proper. This record will not get played again. The regular album is stunning.

Elliottmarx likes this.
  13. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Yeah...that's going to get some getting used to. I've listened to the vocal verses for so long, it sounds incomplete. My understanding is the vocal verses we're overdubbed for the first cold cuts incarnation.

14. Mt.Elga

Mt.Elga Forum Resident

Wild Life always sounded great on first press lp..not much clean up was needed..But this RRS remaster.....This could be his crown jewel....Little Lamb Dragonfly had me tears...Great harmonies and arrangements... Paul's Pet Sounds... Underneath all that seventies murky production lay this masterpiece.......

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    theMess, csnfan, Jayseph and 8 others like this.
  15. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Damn...that's a great guitar solo.

16. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

We're there ever lyrics for this? It just amazes me that something like this would go unfinished.

theMess, Mt.Elga and Spencer R like this.
  17. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

I love all the Archive bonus discs so far. My copy hasn't arrived yet but I streamed Wild Life earlier and loved the bonus disc. When The Wind Is Blowing??

18. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

The Wild Life home recordings make the Basement Tapes sound like Sgt. Pepper, yet they are charming. I’ve always liked Hey Diddle, that and the home recording of Bip Bop are about as close as you’re going to get to sitting in Paul’s living room while he plays guitar. I’m not one of the people who has heard every bootleg recording ever, so When The Wind Is Blowing is new to me - pretty surprised that didn’t make the Wild Life album at the time. What a pretty song. I really like the Love Is Strange single edit.

19. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

20. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

Me either. I saw some people getting frustrated that the White Album box dipped below $90, but you get it when you get it. Buying something carries the risk that it’ll be cheaper later, but it gives the benefit of a bird in hand.

Not buying something gives you more time to potentially get a better deal, even on a limited edition (which I don’t recall in this case having a specified number given as a forever limit), but you may not get a super deal, and scarcity may creep in as well.

A parallel is the Beatles 2014 Mono LP box. I will give myself as an example as a Beatles/solo collector who held off on the Mono CD set, having gotten the mono mixes through various iterations. The 65 stereo mixes were enticing, but I held off, even through price fluctuations over time.

When the 2014 LP box came, that was a different animal. Largely AAA on the Beatles’ dedicated mono mixes? Though I did scout out a comparatively low price, I wasn’t going to bypass what reviews were indicating were an outstanding reissue, and acquired it relatively soon after release.

When La Panique Monophonique hit earlier this year, some seemed to get hung up on the fact that the box reportedly got down at times to $150 or less. Others focused on those who bought more when the word got out that they were getting scarce; some over whether that was fair, some over how those people would feel if/when they did another pressing. Some might get stressed if they reprint the Beatles Mono LP Box on a second run if they pay a higher price in the short-term. But it's like the stock market, as you gauge when is best to by, with scarcity as a factor.

If there is a second edition of the 1971-1973, it may mean some will buy the other two sets without getting the Wings Over Europe disc. As with any commodity exchange, it's a calculated risk. The WOE set is a grouping of songs from a unique iteration of the band largely without general release prior to this, which is different from, say, the Cow Palace set which were repeats of songs and personnel of what is found in the WOA box.

Would that difference mean that standalone of it come down the road? Perhaps, especially as the return to heartiness in the physical offerings may well have been MPL hearing and heeding some advice post-Flowers? Might it come after a second edition? Could be. Will everyone be happy? I would hope that people get a reasonable shot at having material available for purchase sooner rath per than later, especially since we're talking CDs and digital product. If the lever leans in that direction rather than limiting product for the sake of limitation, I'm fine with that.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  21. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Is the glitch present on the 2 CD set too?

22. Frank

Frank Senior Member

23. Frank

Frank Senior Member

24. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Can't believe the studio version of The Mess isn't included in the Red Rose set?

gottafeelin likes this.
  25. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

A melodic masterpiece. Mind-blowing(ha)stuff

theMess, dvakman and Oyster Boy like this.