(3) Turntables, which one would you pick and why?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Nov 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

1) VPI Prime
    2) Rega RP8
    3) Technics SL-1200G

2. only you can decide; its your hard earned cash and your ears!! Good luck and enjoy your choice

goodiesguy and displayname like this.
  3. avanti1960

not trying to decide, just thought it would be interesting to see why someone would pick one of these three very different turntables at a similar price point.

displayname likes this.
  4. harby

harby Forum Resident

Can I sell the 1200G and get four used SL-1200MK2 turntables?

5. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

1200G.

beat_truck and snorker like this.
  6. avanti1960

why ? !

FashionBoy likes this.
  7. Jwest97

Jwest97 Bass Player for Luxury Furniture Store

I'd say the 1200. High end direct drive tables tend to have the same S/N ratios as a lot of newer belt drive tables, also the speed is almost always more accurate than a belt drive. I'd only be concerned with the S/N ratio if it was a low end turntable. Also, dust covers are nice things to have.

Hendertuckie likes this.
  8. Dax_Frost

Dax_Frost A Visual Loop

VPI Prime. I like that it's made in the US and I'm a fan of the detached motor design with a heavy platter.

9. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

RP8 because I don't imagine the other two being any different from what I have. I always wanted to try a Rega.

My guess would be that after setup it would be similar to my others.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

#3 is my go to. The one I can live with every day and the least fussy in daily use. I like the VPI best of your neo belt drive options.

11. jkull

jkull destroyer of cookie cutters

Agreed. Im more for a belt driven. The technics table 'looks' cheaper to me that the others. It just still looks like something to DJ on in comparison to the others. What can I say... I like the tone arms on the vpi's and the ability to to really adjust to hone in on tracking and everything. I own a classic 2 and its been great for me.

Rickchick, hi_watt and Dax_Frost like this.
  12. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I was in a similar situation trying to choose a new turntable a few months ago. I ultimately decided on the Technics SL-1200G for a few reasons, among which are: (1) Perfect pitch/speed (this drove me nuts on my previous belt-driven turntable); (2) ease of setup and ability to easily adjust (and repeat) settings and change cartridges; (3) quality of materials, technology and construction (essentially handmade in Japan from quality components); (4) price (got a discount, but good value anyway); and (5) resale.

I’ve been absolutely thrilled with this turntable. It operates perfectly and sounds terrific. A big step-up from a Clearaudio Concept Wood in terms of extracting the most from the cartridge (I started with the same Concept MC before upgrading to a Benz Micro Wood SL – also highly recommended). Deeper bass, greater treble extension, better drive and less smearing of transients (possibly due to direct drive). It’s a real winner in my book.

As an aside, I can never return to belt drives after this, with the possible exception of ‘tables that have some sort of speed control (like a Clearaudio Innovation and the like). I think you shouldn’t need a separate device to attain (and maintain) proper speed, like some manufacturers seem to require. If I were to upgrade ever again – and I’m not sure I will – it would be to the forthcoming new version of the SP-10.

13. russk

russk Forum Resident

I'd take the 1200G. I've seen and heard all three and preferred the build, feel, and sound of the 1200G. Then I'd go VPI. The Rega is nice in it's plug and play way but is the least versatile table and isn't in the same league sound wise as the other two. I've always felt the sweet spot for Rega tables were their P3, P6 price points. Once you go above that range I think your better off with VPI, or other tables where you give up plug and play for better sound and speed stability.

The Technics is just beautiful. Gobs of detail and instruments just sound perfect. I find it funny when people compare it to the old SL1200. I wish my old 1200 sounded like the 1200G. If it did it wouldn't be in my closet and my RP6 wouldn't be playing The Sky is Crying LP right now.

When it's time to upgrade my table I'm either going with the 1200G or a Garrard with the DV 20x2.

14. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I picked the Prime. I have one. I haven't heard the others, so I can't comment.

I like the Prime because, it is made in the USA, I think the tonearm is really good, I like the 20lb platter. The prime can be upgraded with symposium footers, that are really effective. The Prime is designed to accommodate a periphery ring, heavy center weight and the speed controlling VPI SSD. I added the VPI -HRX pulley, and use two belts for better performance. I also like having the motor separate from the table.

15. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

A 4th option, which is built in the US, and to leave the pack and be free of these dreadful technics/vpi/rega bouts and have something unique hand built - would be the www.anvilturntables.com with a 10 inch Jelco. Fremer gives it great review for whatever that is worth (I'm warming up to him.)

I don't have the old 1200 but I do have the last and most beautiful 1210 version - the M5G and it is a lovely beast and my constant bake offs always give the edge to the VPI only because I think it lucks out in playing the best album side. It (Technics) is heavily upgraded though. When I play the same album and switch via the preamp remote control - I can't discern much of a difference - and whatever there is must go to the cart.

I'd give that Anvil a shot if I were to need a new table.

I also do not think people care for my opinion as I typically do not find outrageous differences between my decks - it is so tough and never night and day. My bake off tests include - play side 1 on VPI play side 2 on Technics - then switch on next album. It always seems the VPI gets the best album side with the greatest detail and soundstage songs - it is a tough call.

Buy what you like as that is most important.

vinylsolution likes this.
  16. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I have a Prime but have never heard the others. On one hand, I've had no major issue with the Prime and I enjoy its simplicity but on the other hand, maybe either of the other two models would end up sounding even better. Who knows?

17. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

1200G. I prefer direct drive and love my modded SL1210.

beat_truck likes this.
  18. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I'd get the 1200g. Mainly for the speed stability and easy cartridge swapping.

19. scotto

scotto Senior Member

I'd vote for the Rega, because I've been a Rega user for over 30 years and they suit my sound preferences. But as others said, your ears are the final test.

bluesaddict likes this.
  20. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident

I would get a MOFI Ultradeck.
    Otherwise....1200G

HiFi Guy and displayname like this.
  21. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

Here in Italy you can buy two Rega RP8s for the same price of one VPI Prime

22. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

I'll second Tullman here. VPI all the way (and while I've never heard the Technics, I have owned Rega's. As Tullman points out, the VPI is US made, which means every dollar you spend on the table went into the table. You're not paying for duty to import the table in the price. And further, VPI is a great company to deal with if (and I do mean IF) any problems arise. Plus VPI makes great sounding turntables/arms.

SandAndGlass and Rickchick like this.
  23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Plus, Matt is taking over the company from his dad and is doing a good job. This means, I can get parts and service for my TT for many years.

24. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Technics SL-1200G:
    • All cartridge setup adjustments are possible
    • Too much fun to be able to swap head shells/cartridges.

25. cadeallaw

cadeallaw Forum Resident

VPI Prime

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.