All the Money in the World

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by townsend, Sep 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. townsend

townsend Senior Member Thread Starter

I am thinking that this movie will need (deserve?) its own thread. It is coming out in December, directed by Ridley Scott, and stars Michelle Williams (a fine actress), Mark Wahlberg, and Kevin Spacey:

ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD - Official Trailer (HD)

Here is hoping for some real "adult fare" throughout the fall and into the Xmas season!

2. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Shocker: Kevin Spacey Dropped From ‘All The Money In The World;’ J Paul Getty Role Recast With Christopher Plummer

3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

"Scott is also determined to to keep the film’s December 22 release date."

:bigeek:Cuttin' it a little tight, Ridley...?

guy incognito and Jason Manley like this.
  4. Jason Manley

No doubt...could they even still do this in the old days? I guess digital delivery (hard drive or otherwise) makes this a possibility.

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I don't think in the history of Hollywood a major star has finished a Hollywood film, then a week before its premiere the producers and studio decide to completely cut the star out of the movie and replace them with somebody else. :eek::eek::eek:

They've cancelled the premiere that was going to be at the AFI film festival in a week or two, but they still have to make the wide opening on December 22nd. This is a $40M film, so they're not going to just shut it down or let it flop because of a scandal with the original actor.

Jason Manley and LivingForever like this.
  6. And that, I'm guessing, is the end of Spacey's career.

guy incognito and Jason Manley like this.
  7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

OR, the beginning of a new talk show to run in the Maury Povich block...!

8. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

While as movie lover I'm not happy about what happened with House of cards and the Gore Vidal movie project (due the the whole Spacey hysteria), in this particular case I think that Plummer is far better suited for the role of the 80 years old Getty, and I admire Ridley's decision to go for this unprecedented bold move in order to save the movie. Let's hope for the best and that he'll succeed to finish it on time.

9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Right, because sexual abuse is no biggie and should carry no consequences?

10. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

I honestly don't understand how your comment relates to what I wrote.

11. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I imagine all of your poor fellow post-production workers on this film will basically be living at work for the next several weeks.

Captain Groovy likes this.
  12. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

...with a minor yet!

13. Jason Manley

I think it'll be a miracle if this film doesn't turn out to be an unmitigated mess. One would presume they only have to reshoot scenes that involve closeups or any scene where the face is shown. As long as Spacey isn't shown (facially) he can go as uncredited, if I'm not mistaken. I think you are only due a credit if your face is shown.

14. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I think it'll be fine (or no better/worse than before). Spacey only did a week of shooting and it sounds like he only appeared in a handful of scenes. The film seems to mostly focus on other characters, with Getty looming more in the background.

Jason Manley and delmonaco like this.
  15. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Okay, so given the unprecedented move of replacing a star actor in an essentially completed film and sticking to the original December 22 release date, this tells me that the studio has enough confidence in the film to be a contender for awards season, mainly of course the Oscars. However, even after Spacey is replace with Plummer, will the film be able to remove the taint by association? After all, it's entirely possible that Spacey did some questionable things even on the set of this film and everyone turned a blind eye, so even without him in it, it could be seen as guilty by association. I'm honestly a bit surprised they don't just delay the release a year, letting it sit "in the can" and be forgotten until everything settles down.

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I would bet Sir Ridley's post crew will be getting zero sleep for the next 6 weeks: editing, VFX, sound editing, sound mixing, titles, and color. I wonder if Kevin Spacey will get any credit at all?

In related news, I heard that The Weinstein Company will be changing their name to The Plummer Company, just to be more politically-correct.

17. Jason Manley

Trying to think of other examples of this. The immediate one that came to mind was Eric Stoltz in BACK TO THE FUTURE. According to Thomas F. Wilson they were basically done with all principal photography. And of course the decision was made to replace Stoltz with Michael J. Fox and the rest is history. Wish someday that version could be seen (pipe dream).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    guy incognito, OldSoul and supermd like this.
  18. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

They should simply digitally replace every filmed instance of Spacey with a more 'family-friendly' type.

[​IMG]

19. Jason Manley

guy incognito, Malina and Paulwalrus like this.
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No, that is not exactly true. The complete story is told in this book:

[​IMG]
    https://www.amazon.com/We-Dont-Need-Roads-Trilogy/dp/0142181536

It is true they were 6 weeks into a 10-week shoot, so a lot of the movie was done. But not finished. The story of how Stoltz was fired was pretty sad, but according to Christopher Lloyd, Stoltz was distant and not easy to work with, and Lloyd did not care for him very much. He said he had an instant rapport with Michael J. Fox and the mood on the set instantly changed, and it was clear from day one that he was a more appropriate actor for the role.

It's always been my theory that Spielberg had been out of the country, and when he got back he made the decision to get rid of Stoltz because he was too serious in the part. But the book makes a good case that it was mostly Bob Zemeckis' decision and that Spielberg merely backed him up.

In the case of All the Money in the World: this film was completely done and mixed and color-corrected, so it's unprecedented that they would go back, recast, reshoot, re-edit, and redo the film basically from scratch -- at least for all the scenes affected.

Simon A and Jason Manley like this.
  21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And as an update: here's an interesting article on how they're going to reshoot, re-edit, and remix the movie in time for its release on December 22:

How Ridley Scott Can Replace Kevin Spacey and Finish ‘All the Money in the World’ in Six Weeks

Apparently, this is not going to be cheap: they're looking at at least $5 million dollars in additional expenses, which is a lot of money for a relatively small $40M "artsy" picture. And they're almost literally going to have to work night and day to get it all done.

Simon A and IronWaffle like this.
  22. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

The irony is that "The 87-year-old Plummer was reportedly Scott's first choice for the role of J Paul Getty, but the director was pressured into casting a bigger name."
    Kevin Spacey edited out of Ridley Scott's Getty film just weeks before release

The Hollywood trend to cast actors that are not physically appropriate for certain role, just because their name would sell more tickets, and in a hunt for an Oscar for make-up , this time worked terribly wrong...

Dudley Morris likes this.
  23. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

More like $10 million+:
    Replacing Kevin Spacey on ‘All the Money in the World’ Will Cost Millions

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I've been told $5 million for one month's work. They're only paying Plummer $250K, and the rest is just travel expenses, $100,000 per day for production, and then OT for the editorial crew. I'm not convinced it has to be anywhere near $10M. I tend to doubt that Ridley Scott will be getting paid any more than scale, after his usual fee.

Everything has to be completely wrapped and locked by December 15th, and they don't even have time to do visual effects to digitally erase Spacey and composite in Plummer, which would normally be a very real option: just shoot him against green screen and drop him in an existing shot. But that takes time (even though it's less expensive than flying to Morocco and England), so they're just going to shoot it for real, make sure the timing is perfect, pick the best takes, and go for it. It can be done, but nobody is gonna get any sleep.

I once worked on a show that was written over a weekend, shot on Tuesday, edited on Wednesday-Thursday, then we finished it Thursday night, delivered it Friday morning, and it aired Friday night. Huge struggle, very tough on everybody, but nobody knew when it hit the air. To them, it was just another show.

Old Rusty, townsend and Splungeworthy like this.
  25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm really curious how this going to look and if we can tell he's been replaced...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.