Audiophile fuses or standard Bussman fuses ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Soundlabs, Mar 15, 2019.

1. BillWojo

BillWojo Forum Resident

That video describing the "Turbo Encabulator" is great and one that I like to direct people to when they ask me about power cords and fuses.
    Can't believe this thread is going on 600 post. LMAO

BillWojo

vwestlife and timind like this.
  2. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

Ingenieur likes this.
  3. timind

timind phorum rezident

Agitater and Ingenieur like this.
  4. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

The thread is about communication and having some fun. It is one of the fuse, I mean few on this topic that has not gone toxic. On topic or off a little mirth in exchanging opinions if refreshing. I try to remember opinions are not facts, need no proof and are expressions of the one giving it. Like this post :)

Shawn, Just Walking and timind like this.
  5. Weber

Weber Well-Known Member

Hello guys and gals. Yes there are gals in this hobby. The SR purple fuses are doing their thing I my system. They blossomed out nicely over the weekend. I definitely don't have any charts to show what is happening with the sound quality the purple fuses have given my system. But it's definitely a sweeter sound for my ears. I listened to my system for 20 hours this past weekend. And my ears have been treated to some of the most beautiful music I have experienced out of a audio system. And yes I forgot to mention that my granddaughter plays the violin in the high school orchestra. So when I go and listen to them practice it's a wonderful time. I try to gauge my home system to their live proformance.

OC Zed and fish like this.
  6. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

If your purple fuses are blossoming, try planting them in your garden.

7. Weber

Weber Well-Known Member

Here in Ohio the planting season is over now. Sorry to pop your bubble on that.

SteveFord likes this.
  8. Weber

Weber Well-Known Member

There are a lot of funny guys on this forum. And I thought most of them where on Audiogon.

9. The gals will be more interested in spending their money on shoes, rather than exotic fuses.

timind likes this.
  10. Weber

Weber Well-Known Member

I hope my daughter doesn't read that.

elvisizer likes this.
  11. timind

timind phorum rezident

I'm planting tulips this weekend over here in Indiana.

Classic Car Guy likes this.
  12. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

Happy thanksgiving fuse hunting....:winkgrin::love:

SeeDeeFirth and timind like this.
  13. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

Ive seen "Milf Hunter" tshirts, maybe someone should make a "Fuse Hunter" tshirt available for the audiophile crowd?:D

SeeDeeFirth likes this.
  14. timind

timind phorum rezident

I put a purple fuse in my turkey roaster! I can only imagine how delicious that turkey will be tomorrow Yum Yum.

Dave, SeeDeeFirth and Classic Car Guy like this.
  15. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

........ Well I'm off till Monday and relatives are coming over sharing corona party. I'm heading over Wal-Mart to buy some ingredients myself and you never know they might have a record sale....:hugs:

timind and Ingenieur like this.
  16. Weber

Weber Well-Known Member

As always in retirement, it's always a Saturday or a holiday. So Happy Thanksgiving to everyone one here.

17. Shoes are an altogether more expensive proposition :D

timind likes this.
  18. fish

fish Senior Member

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue - Vinyl - Walmart.com
    [​IMG]

Ingenieur likes this.
  19. timind

timind phorum rezident

Here’s an example of how a system can fool you, or maybe just me. Last night I sit down for a listen and after a bit of a warm up with Hot Tuna, I put on Steely Dan’s “Aja” and notice Donald Fagen’s vocals sound recessed. After listening to the album I put “Katy Lied.” This album isn’t as well recorded and sounds like I expect.

I’m feeling a little miffed by this so before going to bed I listen to “Aja” again on headphones. Now through my headphone set up everything sounds wonderful with vocals front and center as they should be. Hmmm.

This morning I go downstairs for my daily exercise routine which I do with music on the stereo. After exercise I sit down for a listen to “Aja” again and guess what, it sounds wonderful. I’m too happy to wonder why. This experience though, is why I don’t trust my ears. Or maybe my fuses blossomed overnight. :tiphat:

SteveFord and Ingenieur like this.
  20. Just Walking

Just Walking Forum Resident

Dick Burwen wrote a short article on this sort of effect in Linear Audio, April 2012. It's title is "Audible Tweaks that Cannot Work". Whether you agree with him or not, his view is that small movements of your head, or someone else in the room, perhaps moving around, doing a demo skews the frequency response and imaging. In critical listening, 0.1dB shift in tonal balance is perceivable, and certainly 1dB is.

Basically to stand the remotest chance of hearing the effect of a fuse, you'd have to put your head in a clamp to an accuracy of a few millimeters each time you listened to take out the effect of skewed tonal balance caused by head position.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  21. COBill

COBill Forum Resident

Sounds like someone who thinks audible shifts in imaging are heard as momentary changes rather than noticeable differences in soundstage across an entire performance.

toasty likes this.
  22. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

The air in the room changes with humidity, temp, etc and affects the sound dispersion

timind likes this.
  23. Weber

Weber Well-Known Member

Sure it does. Sound travels slower in high humidity. That's why a system sounds better in the winter months here in Ohio. Plus when it cold out there is less to do so listening becomes more of something to do. I listen more in the colder months than I do in the warmer months. But I still listen at least 3 hours in the warmer weather. In the colder months I listen for around 8 hours a day. My tube gear keeps me warm in the colder months.

24. SteveFord

SteveFord Forum Resident

When python mating season begins that's when those cheap Bussmans really start to sag and just bring the whole plot down.
    It's depressing.
    It's probably too early for the purple ones so I'm thinking orange fuses are just about ready to come into their own.

25. Weber

Weber Well-Known Member

The purple fuses in my cdt and dac have over 300 hrs on them. The one in my amp has about 125 hrs now. My system is still improving every day with them.

COBill likes this.