Best Song on The Beatles’ ‘Revolver’? Poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, Oct 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer Thread Starter

What's your favourite song on recently everyone's favourite Beatles album?
    I vote for I'm Only Sleeping, which is my third favourite song ever. Felt bad leaving Tomorrow Never Knows in the dirt but it was still a clear choice. I'm Only Sleeping's as good as psychedelic pop did and ever will get.

I'm guessing Eleanor Rigby will be leading, followed by For No One, followed by Tomorrow.

For other Beatle Boys polls:
    Best Song on The Beatles' 'Please Please Me' Poll?
    The Best Song on The Beatles ‘With the Beatles’ Poll
    Best Song on The Beatles’ ‘A Hard Day’s Night’ Poll
    Best Song on The Beatles' 'Beatles For Sale' Poll?
    Best Song on The Beatles’ ‘Help!’ Album? Poll
    Best Song on The Beatles' 'Past Masters, Vol. 1' Poll?
    Best Song on The Beatles’ ‘Rubber Soul’? Poll

MielR, Hootsmon, angelees and 5 others like this.
  2. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

TNK best song on the album. Best song they ever did

homeslice, kendo, SCOTT1234 and 6 others like this.
  3. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

4. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Certainly the most adventurous too, which is saying something.
    My only complaint, and is probably why it's not my personal second favourite, is how short it is.

5. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Here, There and Everywhere

ronbow, oldsurferdude, Binni and 3 others like this.
  6. A Saucerful of Scarlets

One of my favourite vocal performances by the band.

Denim Chicken likes this.
  7. Zack

Zack Senior Member

I said She Said She Said.

8. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

If someone put out Tomorrow Never Knows today, I'd still be blown away.......same goes for Strawberry Fields Forever.

BDC, homeslice, tubesandvinyl and 9 others like this.
  9. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

She Said She Said

10. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Technically or musically?

DK Pete likes this.
  11. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

TNK. Best Beatles song.

12. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

I'm thinking of the overall presentation.....both are technical marvels.....SFF owes quite a bit to Good Vibrations, but somehow I associate Good Vibrations with its time more than these two Beatles tracks even though they are all equally drenched in mid-60s psychedelia.
    From my 70s/80s kid perspective, I think of I Am the Walrus and All You Need is Love as Beatles tracks being of their time rather than being timeless (more so than even anything on Pepper, oddly).....but I still appreciate them.
    Also, as I've gotten older (and attempted making some recordings myself in my day-----Tomorrow Never Knows was THE track that inspired me to attempt to record----starting with disconnecting the eraser head on my hand-held tape recorder and attempting a multi-track sound), I hold the early stuff in much higher regard.

VQR and A Saucerful of Scarlets like this.
  13. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

And Your Bird Can Sing is the only song I like on there and it's one of their best songs ever.

14. MelodyFair

MelodyFair West Coast Suburban Hausfrau

I'm Only Sleeping is a wonderful piece of psychedelia.

15. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Ha, fair enough. I think it's the least interesting moment on the album. Still like it though!

Hermes and Spazaru like this.
  16. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Sophie’s Choice...

Great album, and - IMO - perhaps their best. Loved the US Mono when it was released in Aug 66, and that perhaps colors my selection of favorites, but i think the best tracks are TNK (of course), GTGYIML, GDS and HTE - some of Paul’s best work.

As much as i like Here There Everywhere, tho, I always felt it deserved better production and could have been better finished - some of the guitar chording is a bit sloppy or “relaxed”, almost like it’s not a final take. Plus, the Anthology remix hinted at a much fuller sound with really lush background vocals. Also Anthology presented an alternate Got To Get You... with some great elements brought up. These were some of the best things on Anthology, and knocked my socks off!

I would really really like to see a more adventurous set of alternate remixes for Revolver, and not simply “tweaks” deferring to the original mixing choices as Giles has been doing for Pepper and WA.

Perhaps their best album, i think between the quality of the songs and the arrangements, it really merits re-visiting the tapes in a major way, w a set of “ultimate” mixes, to polish these tracks and bring out the best of what is on the multi-tracks.

Remixing using the mono or stereo mixes as “templates” is nice and all, but I WANT MORE. I want to hear a “new” Revolver w fresh ears, and there seems to be plenty on the session tapes to support that kind of experience, to really knock my socks off. And sandals too!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  17. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

I voted for 'I'm Only Sleeping' because this is the song I hear in my head every time I wake up late on a Sunday morning :D

18. bobc

bobc Bluesman

Very difficult choice. I'd have to say:
    John - And Your Bird Can Sing
    Paul - For No One
    George - Taxman
    Ringo -????

Every track is fantastic except for YS, which was OK for a single, but not on this wonderful album.

19. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

And Your Bird Can Sing rises to the top. Great group effort.

Rickchick and Hermes like this.
  20. Hermes

Hermes Past Master

I voted for "Got to get you into my Life". It's a dirty job but somebody's gotta do it ;)

Rock66, PepiJean, angelees and 2 others like this.
  21. 905

905 Senior Member

For No One

angelees, AnalogJ and Brian Kelly like this.
  22. manco

manco Forum Resident

TNK = the most revolutionary track.

23. manco

manco Forum Resident

Funny John thought this was one of his 'bad' songs.

Spazaru likes this.
  24. manco

manco Forum Resident

Funny to think that w/o TNK you don't get Kraut-rock, Brian Eno's ambient experiments or Aphex Twin. All from one song in 1966.

25. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

This is a tough one! Dang. I love every song on this album. I had to go with For No One though. Just an amazing song. This could have been composed back in 1766! I remember first getting the US Revolver album... even though three songs were "missing" I did not know that yet and did not think it was deficient in any way. I played it through and every song was just incredible. When I got to For No One I was like "Wow, what the heck is this?!?!? The Beatles are Mozart all of a sudden?" That harpsichord. Wow. Revolver was my favorite album right from the get go. At the time (1983 or thereabouts) I had not yet learned when all the albums/singles came out, but I had the Rain/Paperback Writer single and something told me that those songs sounded like they belonged on Revolver. I made my own version of the album by adding those tracks to it. There's no filler on this album at all as far as I'm concerned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.