Best/worst Rolling Stones tours?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by shnaggletooth, Dec 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member Thread Starter

I once read, somewhere, someone comparing the various Stones tours to the Star Trek motion pictures: "as the good Star Trek films were the even-numbered ones and the bad ones odd-numbered, so were the (various whatever) Stones tours".

I myself couldn't say, as I've never attended a Rolling Stones concert. But, for those who have seen the different tours...?

[​IMG]

2. tages

tages Senior Member

I wish I could have been around the witness the 1967 European Tour....

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Tour book -
    [​IMG]

3. jgreen

jgreen Well-Known Member

I saw '65, '66, '69, '72, '75, '78, '81, '89, '98, 2006.
    The best were '69, '72, and '78.
    My personal favorate was '78 in Boulder, Colo. at the sold out football stadium.
    The worst by far was '75.

4. Harry Krishner

Harry Krishner Forum Resident

I only saw them once in 2002. They were quite polished, a very good act I must say.
    AC/DC were much more entertaining as the opener though.

5. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

I only started seeing them myself in '89, but based on my collection of illicit artifacts, I'd say...

Best: U.S. '72

Worst: Europe '76

6. Nice pic of Charlie with the stash! :righton: :D

My faves? '69, '72.

7. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Here's my 20 second US tour overview as a fan.

1966 first and only time seeing with Brian Jones. Can't hear, screaming and they looked great.

1969 They played using a Bill Graham PA. They Rocked you could hear them. Jagger keeps his pants on.

1972 They found Drugs it was tight and messy. Mick Taylor smoked....

1975 More drugs and Ronnie Wood & Billy Preston Ughh...No

1978 They became serious on stage with Wood & Mac. It payed off.

1981 All Mick Jagger Glamour and marketing. "No use in crying" 1st Big trip to the Bank.

1989 Mick and Keith get along for Steel "Emotions" and Bill Wyman last stand. (now sorely missed)

1995 Now Let's make Voodoo money and play the "Blues" well in stadiums.

1998 Bridge to Rapper The stage gets bigger and some stadiums are empty.

1999 No security No BS. SMOKIN STONES stage gets smaller. Hot...

2002 All Licks with a spectacle and Jagger sings very well. (again)

2005-7 The longest and biggest bang yet from great to a sloppy mess.

What's next? Blues Band for the eldery. We'll see with a new 2 CD contract?

[​IMG]

8. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I saw them in 1966 and 1969 and they were great both times, but for almost entirely different reasons.

I haven't seen them since. I don't like any shows at football stadiums or outdoor arena's of any sort because those things usually end up more like endurance tests than musical concerts IMO, and that was pretty much where they played for most of the Seventies and Eighties, correct ?

After that the ticket prices got pretty silly and/or I was afraid that I would consider the Stones caricatures of themselves by that point in time. I think I wanted to keep the Stones "live" a nice memory from when their shows actually meant something, if that makes any sense.

9. davers

davers Forum Resident

I saw them in 1981, 1994, 1998 and 2005. '81 was the best for me, possibly due the fact that there was such a buzz surrounding the tour. The excitement level (and lines!)to obtain tickets was out of this world, and when they rolled into town (Seattle for me), even the weather man was singing "Satisfaction" during the evening newscast. Looking back, it seemed like it may have been the last time there was a such a huge buzz around the Stones. The other tours I saw all had great moments, but none had the celebratory feel of the 1981 tour. (BTW 2005 was second best, 1998 was the worst.)

10. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

I saw them in '72, Stevie Wonder opened. For the outrageous price of $6!

Sloppy, out-of-tune. Yet, rocking and great.

Again on the Voodoo Lounge tour. Tight, well-rehearsed, in tune, massive stage, video screen, production incl. snakes' head breathing fire. Great again.

11. RichmondFC

RichmondFC Member

Never knew ACDC opened for them...

I just watched a clip the other day of Angus and Malcolm Young jamming with the Stones on Rock me baby, I thought they were just guests at the show.

12. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

FABULOUS post- thanks so much!

13. RobertKaneda

RobertKaneda New Member

14. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Tattoo You Tour, Buffalo. One of the worst concerts I ever saw.

15. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

I saw them at Rich Stadium in 1981 with George Thoroughgood and Journey openning. Seeing Mick prance around stage wearing orange colored football pants was disheartening to say the least. I mean Start Me Up indead! Also, the restroom lines with drunk guys doing their business in the sinks, put me off of stadium size concerts forevermore.

16. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

1969 and 1972/73 are all there on youtube for everyone to see - they were the greatest rock and roll band of all time, at their peak. I'll go with 72/73 because I saw it - I was 12 years old, and I don't think I ever recovered.

Recent tours have been very professional (Mick has kept his vocal chords in great shape; he's actually improved over the years. I wish that Roger Daltry had done the same), but always entertaining.

If the Stones play a show in their 70's sitting on stools and just doing acoustic blues, I would pay anything to be there.

17. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

This could be reality in the coming future. Especially that they love to play so much live. (the moneys good too) Seeing them in a small arena during the last two tours (when they were on) they rivaled "The Rolling Stones" and any other band of any era. IMOP.

18. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Saw them in 78, 81, 89, 95, 98, 99 & 2002.
    Best was 1978 (raw and powerful) with 1999 being second (short "No Security" tour, great set-list and sound).

19. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Never saw them. From what I've heard, these are preferable:

Can't justify spending the cash to see them after hearing results from the last tour.

20. dcscott

dcscott Go have another cheeseburger, Randy

I was there too, Dave. Horrible to say the least.

21. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

Saw every tour since '75.

The best of the recent tours, or my favorite at least, was the No Security tour. Less distractions, more music, Moonlight Mile, and the last time I heard Keith really, really kick a** live.

Never really saw a bad show; I do remember a Steel Wheels show I saw, Ron Wood didn't actually play his guitar for about an hour. He was just laughing and smoking and once in a while . . "oh, hey, guess I better play this thing!"

22. BobbyS

BobbyS Forum Resident In Memoriam

I saw them in 72, 75, 78 and 81. The 72 show was excellent, the 75 among the worst shows I've ever seen. Ron Wood played a lengthy solo on You Can't Always Get What You Want (I think) that was completely in the wrong key.

23. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

I've seen parts of 10 or more Rolling Stones performaces since 1997. I'd say that during 2 out of the ten shows did they become "THE ROLLING STONES". Of the rest, 7 fell somewhere in the middle range with one performace being truly "unispired".

24. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

I must agree
    The rain and the wind and the wind and the wind...:D Helicopter Stones.
    In front of the stage was a riot in retrospect! :laugh:

25. RobertKaneda

RobertKaneda New Member

If one listens to his solo in that song on Love You Live, one will readily understand why they don't let him do any long jams, which was one of Taylor's great strengths.

perk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.