Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

You're not the only one...

2. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

Yesterday and today I've been listening through Pierre-Laurent Aimard's Messiaen recordings:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Marzz, royzak2000, Bubbamike and 2 others like this.
  3. Jazzicalit

Jazzicalit In the Tradition

Not yet. But the cd you posted must be good indeed and Harmonia Mundi is one of my favorite labels ever :)

About Dvorak's chamber music, I have this cd by the Quatuor Talich on Calliope:

[​IMG]

I should check my cd collection because I don't know if I have something else in miscellaneous boxes etc.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    Marzz likes this.
  4. Jazzicalit

One of the most beautiful Masses in music history! The beginning is stunning :)

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    royzak2000 likes this.
  5. Jazzicalit

Now listening to
    ALBAN BERG - Wozzeck
    Tito Gobbi (sung in Italian)
    [​IMG]

6. JuniorMaineGuide

Moving on to Håkon Austbø's Messiaen recordings today:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jazzicalit, Marzz, Wes H and 3 others like this.
  7. Jazzicalit

Hilary Hahn - Schoenberg and Sibelius violin concertos
    Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra/Esa Pekka Salonen

[​IMG]

Marzz and crispi like this.
  8. Jazzicalit

Speaking of Hilary Hahn, a new release is on the way: it will be out on next May 17. I must confess I don't know the composer, but I think it's worth the purchase... an album for solo violin by HH is always remarkable.

[​IMG]

9. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Now enjoying CD 4 from this desert island box set. So serene, perfect music to close a stressful week. Sound and performance is exemplary.

10. George P

[​IMG]

Every time I listen to this CD, I am completely blown away with his playing. In the slower works he is incredibly tender, hypnotic. In the faster ones he is a fearless panther.

11. drh

drh Talking Machine

A panther is like a leopard,
    except with spots it isn't peppered.
    If you should see a panther crouch,
    prepare to say "ouch."
    Or better yet, if called by a panther,
    don't anther.

--Ogden Nash

My most recent pianistic enthusiasm is for a newly acquired set of selected Chopin mazurkas played by Ignaz Friedman on US Columbia 78 RPM set M 159 (a relatively late pressing of recordings from the early '30s). It's a really wonderful collection; I'll confess, the mazurkas are not usually the first works to which I turn when I think "I'd like to hear some Chopin," but this set just might change my mind. How I missed it all these years I don't know, but I'm delighted to have made its acquaintance at this late date.

crispi likes this.
  12. George P

Thanks for sharing that! I Googled, but can't find a definition for anther as a verb.

Like you, the Mazurkas were not high on my list of Chopin works, but they have grown on me quite a bit. The modern pianist Luisada's DG set is wonderful, as is Wasowski's. I have Friedman's on Naxos and enjoy them, but I like Rubinstein's two mono sets more. I would be remiss if I din't mention Maryla Jonas's Mazurkas too.

13. Jazzicalit

JOHANN SEBASTIAN BACH - Concertos
    Hilary Hahn
    Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra / Jeffrey Kahane
    (DGG 2003)

[​IMG]

:love:

Marzz and Eigenvector like this.
  14. George P

[​IMG]

Haven't been sleeping well lately, so I am now trying to unwind by listening to the two gorgeous slow movements in the above 2 CD set. I don't normally like to split it works like this, but I really just need to chill right now.

15. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I just ordered a copy.

George P likes this.
  16. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I think you will really like that LP/CD. One of my fave Rachmaninoff CDs.

bruce2 likes this.
  17. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Thanks. I don't own any Rachmaninov solo piano music.

George P and Rose River Bear like this.
  18. George P

[​IMG]

Starting the day with the first two Dvorak string quartets. They are better than I recalled. I plan to listen through this set in the coming weeks.

Marzz likes this.
  19. drh

drh Talking Machine

The composer recorded a bit of it--not nearly as much as he should have, but some. Victor issued a group of electrical recordings as 10" album M 722, and in addition there were some single record issues on various labels. His first records were on Edison diamond discs and include the "Polka de W.R." and, inevitably, what Rachmaninoff called "It" (the Prelude in c-Sharp, op. 3 no. 2; he referred to the piece that way because he couldn't go anywhere without being importuned to "play 'it.'")

Not his own music, exactly, but then also his own music, in a way: he recorded Liszt's 2d Hungarian Rhapsody for Edison and interpolated his own wild (and wildly incompatible, from a standpoint of style) cadenza as the bulk of the third side. Fabulous listening, which everyone should hear at least once.

I'm sure at least all the electrical material must have been reissued, but I can't help you with specifics, as all my copies are original 78 RPM (or, in the case of the Edisons, 80 RPM) issues.

crispi and fitzrik like this.
  20. drh

drh Talking Machine

:edthumbs:

George P likes this.
  21. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

22. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

George, I sincerely hope those two Chopin slow movements helped you unwind. I particularly love the Larghetto from Chopin's 2nd Piano Concerto... one of the most lovely slow movements of any Romantic era concerto. For a composer who didn't particularly do well with orchestrations, he found amazing inspiration here. The entrance of the bassoon to take over the melody is so haunting -- just brilliant.

As an aside, I might add that this movement was strikingly used as the theme music for a BBC mini-series, "Notorious Woman: The Story of George Sand," opening and closing each episode. It aired in the U.S. in 1975 on PBS (part of "Masterpiece Theater"). An excellent series featuring Rosemary Harris (George Sand), George Chakiris (Frederic Chopin), and Jeremy Irons (Franz Liszt). Sadly, it has never appeared on home video.
    [​IMG]

Marzz and George P like this.
  23. JuniorMaineGuide

I was able to pick up the Richter: Live at Carnegie Hall 1960 box for cheap, so I am diving into it now. One thing I like about a good piano recital is that I listen to things I wouldn't have otherwise; I'm not big on Russian composers, for example, but I have enjoyed everything from these concerts I have heard so far. Other pieces gain new life for me when heard alone instead of in the larger context of the group they came from, like a Chopin Scherzo, a single Debussy Prelude, or a movement from Ravel's Miroirs.

[​IMG]

24. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

Jazzicalit likes this.
  25. George P

Enjoy! I skipped that Box, as I have almost all of it in a previous Sony Box.

JuniorMaineGuide likes this.