Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Thanks for the info. Speaking of Ormandy, spinning this and the music is new to me. Do you have these works?

[​IMG]

Wes H and Eigenvector like this.
  2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

No. I only have some Bach Greatest Hits, Wagner, Rimsky-Korsakov and Rachmaninoff CD singles by Ormandy. I only bought his Sibelius box a few weeks ago at a very good price from across the pond. I can literally count on one hand how many LP recordings I have since I never cared for the Columbia press quality ...

There are not that many new Ormandy CD singles out there. I heard Sony has released a mega mono box, which I have zero interests ...

Rose River Bear likes this.
  3. drh

drh Talking Machine

Yes, he did; not only did he compose it, he led a recording of it with the Liverpool PO and the Huddersfield Choral Soc., issued in the United States as RCA Victor set DM 974 (5 12" 78 RPM disks, 10 sides).

[​IMG]

[edit] This recording dates to 1943. A little digging reveals that Walton in 1959 rerecorded the piece for a stereo LP.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  4. Rose River Bear

Spinning the CD version.
    [​IMG]

5. coopmv

Now playing CD1 from the following Philips twofer for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

mBen989 and Rose River Bear like this.
  6. Rose River Bear

I really like the recordings I have of Chorzempa. His Saint Saens Organ Symphony recording is great. In fact, this is my go to Organ Sym.
    [​IMG]

7. coopmv

Chorzempa is an excellent organist and also a good harpsichordist. Unfortunately, the WTC twofer is a bit of a turnoff as there are tracks performed on organ, harpsichord and fortepiano. I was expecting only harpsichord performance ...

8. coopmv

Here is my Handel Belshazzar set ...

[​IMG]

9. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Peter Serkin
    Beethoven: Diabelli Variations
    RCA Red Seal, 1982
    [​IMG]
    I enjoyed it.

Eigenvector and Rose River Bear like this.
  10. Rose River Bear

I have not heard his take on the variations but have read the reviews of it and it gets high marks. I may have to seek it out. I have a couple of versions.

dale 88 likes this.
  11. drh

drh Talking Machine

For those who are interested in streaming classical music, one of my colleagues at TNT-Audio reviewed a classical-only streaming service called Primephonic in today's issue: [Review] Primephonic streaming service

He refers to a recording that sounds interesting: one Jean Guillou playing a modern pedal piano in his own music and some of Liszt, Mozart, Schumann, and Bach. Alas, I checked Amazon, and the sole copy I could find was more than $900. Ouch!

Bevok and dale 88 like this.
  12. drh

drh Talking Machine

I heard him a couple of times in recital and greatly enjoyed his playing. He was especially good as a Bach pianist. Sad to think he's gone now.

Rose River Bear and dale 88 like this.
  13. Rose River Bear

I recall seeing him play once at the Curtis Institute in Philadelphia. He was excellent.

14. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Arrau and Chopin - priceless!!

Wes H and Eigenvector like this.
  15. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I actually heard him perform the Diabelli Variations about a decade ago. Most impressive.

16. George P

Hi David,

I am a huge fan of his father, but never heard his work. So many pianists, so little shelf space . . . :shake:

17. drh

drh Talking Machine

...as opposed to Arrau and Beethoven - Price-Les$ !! ;)

[​IMG]

(not my disc, I hasten to add)

George P likes this.
  18. George P

:laugh:

19. drh

drh Talking Machine

Hi, George,

Time for a bigger apartment? :whistle: :angel:

Of course, you'd still be subject to the law of physics stating, "The number of recordings always expands to exceed the shelf space available." :sigh:

George P likes this.
  20. drh

drh Talking Machine

By the way, kidding aside, some of those Price-Les$ budget discs from back around the turn of the aughts offer up interesting material, some of it drawn from old masters or concert tapes that presumably were cheap to license. For example, among the handful in my collection are one with a recital by Annie Fischer including Schumann's Fantasy in C and Kreisleriana and another of Furtwangler leading the VPO in the Bruckner 4th sym. It's always tempting, when confronted with ultra-cheap issues, to turn up the old nose, but on occasion real gems can be found in very plain settings. As a collector friend puts it, "You take your great music-making where you find it."

George P likes this.
  21. George P

Absolutely! Ermitage is one of those cheaper labels that frequently has superb performances.

drh likes this.
  22. Rose River Bear

I just played this last night.
    [​IMG]

George P likes this.
  23. dale 88

Welcome back to this thread, John Greenwood. It is good to see you posting again.

drh likes this.
  24. George P

[​IMG]

The original recordings are really not very good quality, so to me, this issue is at best a cash grab. The playing is great. Horowitz's Chopin can be variable, but here it is quite good.

25. dale 88

Disc 12
    Nielsen: Symphonies 5 & 6
    Theodore Kuchar
    Janacek Philharmonic
    Brilliant, 2019
    13 CDs
    [​IMG]