EBay vinyl prices in 2021

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by rain_king, Jun 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rain_king

rain_king Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone else feel like used vinyl is auctioning for somewhat higher prices on eBay than even 7 or 8 months ago? I didn't start seriously buying records on there until last fall--so I don't know if this is just a yearly cycle or what, but it's something I've definitely noticed.

If anything, record stores opening back up the past few months should drive prices down, right? Also, I thought the holiday season would be the priciest time of year, but it feels like things are going for more now than last November-December.

To be clear, this isn't based on any systematic analysis of data, which I'm sure someone more tech-savvy than me could do. But I do know that I am constantly frustrated by auctions going up to ridiculous amounts more than I was last year, and I'm curious if anyone else has noticed this too?

Recordfan likes this.
  2. Cool Chemist

Cool Chemist Forum Resident

What records/genre are you interested in and looking at? It could be genre/artist specific?

I have noticed my local HMV is charging some astronomical prices for new LP's.

rain_king likes this.
  3. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Without record shows to buy at I whiled away many hours buying from auctions on eBay last year. I did OK then, but haven't won any in several months - keep getting outbid. I freely admit to being a bottom feeder, though.

riverrat and rain_king like this.
  4. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Supply and people paying the 'demanded' prices. Noticed it as well in the past couple years.
    Compact discs I've been seeing a rise also. Some of it might be ebay's cut being increased.
    12 inch singles have taken an upturn as well. Depending on the titles of course, some are demanding more than their parent album.

Neonbeam likes this.
  5. rain_king

I've been mostly looking at jazz records on eBay, lots of different artists. Most local record stores charge way too much for vinyl too of course, it just seems like the jump in auction prices has outpaced inflation in general.

6. rain_king

Same here--I watch a lot of auctions, bid on several, and win relatively few, rarely spending more than $15-20 on a record.

But looking back over my eBay purchases, I found lots of great stuff in that range toward the end of 2020 but very little in the past few months.

Recordfan likes this.
  7. Scottny1237

Scottny1237 Forum Resident

Yep. Prices on records have definitely been going up everywhere. Especially eBay with the lockdown all year and more people getting Into vinyl & having to buy from home. eBay used to be a place to get nice “steals” but not so much anymore. They are far and few between. However it does cycle through the year. Now that the weather is getting warmer & lockdown restrictions are dwindling you may begin to see it level out. It does not mean the vinyl super craze is done. But less people home and out more means less screen time to hunt for records all day!

Aftermath and rain_king like this.
  8. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Ebay has become a shill bidder paradise. If I had a dollar for every auction with a fake bidder kicking up the price Ide be a millionaire. Its that bad.
    Watchout for them.

9. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member

I agree, prices for bog standard singles and LPs which not that long ago would fetch just a few pounds/ dollars, have gone through the roof.
    The vinyl revival has pushed prices up generally in recent years, but I think the market definitely took an upturn with the onset of Covid.
    Lots of people found they hand more time on their hands to revisit old records, and/or had more disposable income to spend.
    I know I personally found myself ordering a lot more music in 2020, partly to support bands who I would usually go to see play live, and partly to support small record labels and independent shops.
    Plus, as music fans get older, they tend t0 value any old vinyl from their youth and hang on to it. The supply is not meeting the demand.

10. rain_king

It's a bummer because I found some great stuff on eBay when I first started looking, and it really felt like if you were patient, you could find much better deals than Discogs. Now I'm seeing stuff constantly go for MORE than Discogs--which really doesn't make sense to me.

I do hope you're right about the yearly cycle though, and people getting out more with the lockdowns ending. That's what I was thinking would happen as stores open up again, but maybe there just hasn't been enough time for it to take effect yet.

11. Scottny1237

Scottny1237 Forum Resident

It’s possible it won’t bottom out like usual because there are more people into records now then even last year but yea there should be a slight drop at least.
    To your other point. Patience is key on eBay. It is a revolving door. What ur looking for will continue to show up from different sellers for the most part. So unless ur looking for the GEM MINT copy RL press of ZEPP II , its ok to let something pass if the price just isn’t right for u. It will show up again.

AlienRendel and Norbert Becker like this.
  12. Cool Chemist

Hopefully soon we will be able to attend record fairs again. That was always my preferred way of buying. I just like to hold and see the record before buying. There are also plenty of fabulous sounding bargain records too. I don't buy much on e-bay at the moment but given the inflationary prices, maybe it is a good time to sell on there again.

MrSka57 likes this.
  13. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

With people staying at home and with more free time on their hands due to the Pandemic, items are likely being viewed a lot more...

leading to more people bidding...

leading to higher prices being necessitated to win auctions.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
    Aftermath and Norbert Becker like this.
  14. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I have long experience with in-person and online auctions in a variety of areas including records and other items. A wise man said long ago that if you win more than 25% of the time you're paying too much.

15. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Higher prices everywhere.

Blue Devil, pressureworld and eddiel like this.
  16. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

From my perspective, vinyl prices have really gone up since last Christmas season. Demand is very high right now. You're not the only one who decided to seriously start collecting in the past year. It's amazing how many folks I see that are new to the game willing to pay 20 bucks for a common classic rock title. Well, they used to be common. The store I work at can't hold onto Fleetwood Mac, Billy Joel, Steely Dan, Bob Seger (and all the etceteras) for longer than a weekend. It's hard to find these things to buy too. Not to mention, most Ebay sellers are buying collections to resell. Those people selling their collections tend to know vinyl is IN. Resellers (whether online or brick/mortar) can't buy them for pennies anymore because someone is switching over to cds.

17. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I sell some unneeded things on Discogs to help me buy more stuff I may one day not need either. Every so often I'll see a brand new buyer with zero feedback (probably a first timer). They tend to buy something that's sort of pricey. Then I go look at Ebay figuring they came to Discogs because Ebay was too high. Sure enough, it's always much higher on Ebay. Then I sort of kick myself. But I really hate Ebay so I only mess with it when I have to.

Recordfan likes this.
  18. marcb

marcb Senior Member

This^^. I used to buy tons of records 15 years ago on ebay, but it has become a joke in terms of being an honest, efficient market.

And when you get into really high priced items, it’s a money laundering paradise.

elgoodo likes this.
  19. rain_king

OK, it’s good to know what I’m perceiving is real. It’s just weird because I never would have described used record prices last summer/fall as “affordable” and yet now I’m seeing things go for even more. Obviously prices have been going up for a long time, I just didn’t think the jump would be so sudden.

I actually have kind of an unusual history with record buying because as a kid getting into music in the ‘90s, I bought mostly CDs, even though I always liked vinyl. I grew up near some great record stores and bought a few records back then that I’ve hung onto, but I didn't buy much vinyl at all for about 15 years, before getting into it again a few years ago. So, I've seen the prices go up over time but wasn't really too engaged in the market.

In my experience, eBay is still often cheaper than Discogs, if you're looking at what auctions go for (Buy it Now is another story of course). But what's puzzling is how many auctions do go astronomical, when the exact same item is available from multiple sellers on Discogs, for a fraction of the price--do people just not know about Discogs, or do they trust eBay more or something? If anything, it should be the opposite.

I suppose a good amount of it is simply shill bidding with those really ridiculous sale prices.

elgoodo likes this.
  20. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Nowadays one should be glad to even see an auction because most of the time it's inflated "Buy Now" prices.

Man at C&A likes this.
  21. DBMethos

DBMethos Forum Resident

Higher prices across the board for anything with collectability (vinyl, comic books, trading cards, etc.). Too many people sitting around with too much time on their hands and stimulus money burning holes in their pockets!

rain_king likes this.
  22. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I do think there are a lot of people who still don't know about Discogs. I get a lot of blank faces when I mention it to folks looking for less common items not found at the shop. I also feel there is this odd cult of people who probably live on Ebay most of their day. I can sort of understand it. Between work and home life, I'm on Discogs quite a bit. I often wonder about those paying out a fortune on Ebay in auctions. I would not doubt for some it gets to a point that they want to win more than anything else. The actual thing they're buying isn't as important as it is to be the winner of an auction.

As for product, I guess it depends on what it is. I've been clumsy buying certain newer items from a Discogs seller thinking it may have just gone OOP. Only after the fact do I realize there were sellers on Ebay for less. It's just my experience but that's mainly been with newer items. I also think Discogs is a place where sellers who don't necessarily need the sale just yet. They put something up for that high price it may be down the line. I've done that with a few things. I can always lower those items if I'm in a pinch.

rain_king likes this.
  23. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Dumbest money launders on the planet if their using a traceable online system to convert dirty money into clean money.

joachim.ritter likes this.
  24. Cool Chemist

I just watched a brand new half speed mastered RAM by Paul McCartney go for £13.50.

Typically new is around £25 to £30.

There are still bargains...

rain_king likes this.
  25. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Shill bidding would only work if you hooked one or more very desperate people who will pay a high price for a record. Otherwise, you or your accomplice will win an auction that now has to be cancelled and relisted. You would also need a large number of shill accounts/accomplices.

I don't believe shill bidding is as bad as people think it is. I think the truth is that some people have lost their minds and will happily pay a very high price for records. Prices have gone up just about every where for highly collectible records.

In the collecting world we now have the BC and AC markets; before covid and after covid. : )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.