SH Spotlight How records are made: RCA Command Performance 1942 & "Living Stereo" 1956. MUST SEE!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member

Gotta love those old William Ganz documentaries. Fantastic

2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Yeah, the bit where they pass the wax blank through a slot in the wall, had me saying in Tom Servo's voice "You have to be careful around those mastering engineers, one of them could take your arm clean off!"

TonyCzar and gates69 like this.
  3. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Never saw this thread until just now. Very cool stuff.

Thanks Steve.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  4. Thank you, Mr. Hoffman! Love these old, super informative video documentaries. I'm enjoying them a lot.

PennyLanes and Steve Hoffman like this.
  5. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

Glad I watched these. Very educational.

Money quote from the second film "Sound And The Story (1956)"...

6. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

No wonder,this is fascinating.There are lots of newer films out there on the web of the making and pressing of vinyl,but this may be the only one from the 78 era.The number of steps they went through back then was incredible.Everybody recognize Nathaniel Shilikrit as the conductor?
    [​IMG]

How about the radio with the Magic Brain record changer?
    [​IMG]

ubiknik, Naughty Chord and MMM like this.
  7. EasterEverywhere

I have one of these RCA Stereo-Orthophonic consolettes from 1959.It came with an optional external speaker.Does anyone,by any chance have one I could buy?I realize I can use any old external speaker,but I would like to get an original one.

8. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Please inqure in the classifieds forum.

9. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Wow, there was a lot of hard, manual labor involved in making a record. What a cool little documentary that Command Performance is. I had to keep reloading it for some reason, but I saw the whole movie, it was a treat.
    Thanks for sharing these movies Steve, I'll watch the other one a little later.:)

10. EasterEverywhere

Finally found the correct model a few weeks ago fairly reasonably on ebay.

Now if I could get somebody to work on it.

11. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Quite a find, congrats. :)

Please inquire in the audio hardware forum. :D

12. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

That's so helpful in understanding the process...thanks! Question: Is the run-out information that's on the record etched/stamped into the mother (or mold as RCA called it)?

13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Sorry, I misunderstood your question.

No, it's written, stamped on the soft lacquer and transferred over just like everything else when turned into metal.

14. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

That makes sense. However, what is happening when you see a subsequent pressing with earlier information crossed out? For example, I have the recent Nirvana Nevermind, which seems to reuse the master from the earlier ORG issue, cut by Bernie Grundman...the ORG is just crossed out on the more recent issue and new numbers added.

15. Steve Hoffman

That's on the part, either the mother or master. We in our biz call it "Institutional Memory Mutilation."

ubiknik likes this.
  16. Steve Hoffman

Reopened by request.

TonyCzar likes this.
  17. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Didn't the conductor on that "Command Performance" rendition of the "Blue Danube Waltz" later go on, a few years from when originally made, to an executive position at Columbia Masterworks? I got his name once, but have since forgotten . . .

Oh, and a clearer video of this film was put up . . .

EDIT: Oh, I've since found out. Charles O'Connell. A&R for Victor Red Seal from 1930-44, then musical director at Columbia Masterworks 1944-47, later author of several books.
    [​IMG]
    He actually "supervised" the Minneapolis Symphony's 1935 recording (conducted by Eugene Ormandy) of the "Blue Danube Waltz."

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
  18. W.B.

And another of "The Sound And The Story":

19. johnwilliamhunte

johnwilliamhunte In the land of Gods and Monsters

I really enjoyed watching these films, thank you for posting them :).

20. Steve Hoffman

You're welcome!

21. Wayne T

Wayne T Active Member

Thanks for posting! That was extremely enlightening, especially for an ol’ fart like me who grew up in the vinyl era. Is there a thread that discusses and compares the reproduction of sound from vinyl using the piezoelectric effect vs from CD using laser technology? You’d think that dragging a tiny crystal across uneven plastic grooves would provide a less authentic reproduction than merely modulating a light beam with pits but then I’m no expert.

22. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

THank you. I could not find "Command Performance" from the oldest (2005) links in his thread.

23. W.B.

That was one reason why I put up those links - that and the one for The Sound And The Story. The other is these are supposed to be in higher quality (i.e. 480p rather than 240p or something).

24. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Is that cocaine at 12:44?

25. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

:thumbsup:

No more objectionable surface noises! Who on SHF wouldn't want a magic brain of their own?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.