Iain Matthews Appreciation Thread--solo, album by album + track by track (pg. 18)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Jul 19, 2017.

1. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

Good news but I thought he was packing it all in and not going to record again.

2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I have the Fairport albums with him on, which are some of my all time favourites. I also have and like the three Matthews Southern Comfort albums and Gospel Oak. I'd like to get the Plainsong LP and his earliest Vertigo era solo ones. I think he'd get too bland for me after the early 70s. I don't do AOR / Yacht Rock!

lemonade kid likes this.
  3. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

THE Matthews covers album extraordinaire! The vinyl is sweet on Windam Hill.

[​IMG]

Farmer Mike, oboogie and SquaRoots like this.
  4. lemonade kid

I have all those on Vertigo...love to watch 'em spin too! And Plainsong/Amelia... is a perfect LP with Andy Roberts (another artist I love!).

His 1990 album Pure & Crooked is wonderful! And by no means mellow. Recalls his earlier work and Fairport.

5. lemonade kid

Like Dominoes...love it.

rd1 and oboogie like this.
  6. lemonade kid

A perfect Tom Waits cover

oboogie likes this.
  7. lemonade kid

These are must haves: new, live and alt recordings!
    • Heyday: The BBC Sessions 1968-1969 Extended (2002) Island Remasters (8 bonus tracks)

• Nights In Manhattan (1988) Taxim Records (live at The Bottom Line in New York, May 1988)...my favorite live Matthews
    • Live Alone: Notebook Series No.2 (1991) Perfect Pitch
    • Orphans & Outcasts Volume I 1969-1979 (1991) Dirty Linen
    • Intimate Wash: Notebook Series No.3 (1993) Perfect Pitch
    • Orphans & Outcasts Volume II 1981-1989 (1993) Dirty Linen
    • The Dark Ride (1994) ....this is a great ONE!
    • Camouflage: Notebook Series No.4 (1995) Perfect Pitch
    • Nights In Manhattan (And Points West) (1997) DCC (4 bonus tracks)...LOVE this one-too!! Of course it is on Steve's label...DCC!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  8. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I appreciate the Matthews Southern Comfort (Later That Same Year, Best Of) a bit more than the solo Ian. Still I thought they might have been bigger than just one cover song hit.

Robyrdt and lightbulb like this.
  9. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Love the Plainsong double disc, essential listening as are most of his early 70’s discs.

chickendinna, lemonade kid and art like this.
  10. Dave Mac

Dave Mac Retired Sophisticated Gentleman Of Leisure

The Eagles played "Seven Bridges Road" on their double/live album. Lifted the vocal and instrumental arrangements practically note-for-note from Iain. As I recall Iain multi-tracked the vocal harmonies himself. Sounds gorgeous.

11. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Conversely, The Dillards’ version’s ‘Of I’ll Fly Away’ and ‘Old Man At The Mill’ (think they’re both on Wheatstraw Suite) were nicked wholesale by Matthews (though the Plainsong version of the a capella arrangement that the Dillards did of the former remained an outtake for a while).

He obviously had a good ear for that genre- his covers on Journeys From Gospel Oak has a trio of Byrds-related covers; Dillard & Clark’s ‘Polly’, a copy of the Burritos’ version of ‘Do Right Woman’, and ‘Sing Me Back Home’ which he may have seen The Byrds do live in the late 60s. I asked him if this was intentional, but apparently it was not.

Man at C&A, Dave Mac and lemonade kid like this.
  12. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Listening to this for the very first time right now. Had no idea of a Fairport connection. Found this at a thrift store a couple of weeks ago.

chickendinna and jeffrey walsh like this.
  13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Looking at Ian's career trajectory, i think it's clear that some days you eat the bear, and some days the bear eats you.

14. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Iain really shines on the first few tracks of the current Fairport live release "What We Did On Our Saturday" from Cropredy 2017.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  15. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I just picked up Plainsong - Dark Side of the Room. Haven't listened to it yet, though.

16. lemonade kid

[​IMG]

New album by Iain & Matthews Southern Comfort
    here is a really nice live version of the title cut!

Like A Radio, 2018

rd1, SquaRoots and oboogie like this.
  17. lemonade kid

More from Like A Radio...damn good!

Bits & Pieces

You can get a very nice 10" white vinyl single of this from Bull Moose.

18. lemonade kid

I ended up finding almost everything on vinyl: Fairport, Matthrew's Southern Comfort, Plainsong, and everything through the wonderful Jules Shear album. "If You Saw Tho' My eyes is wonderful indeed, but I always loved "Somedays You Eat The Bear...". I have a promo. I also have his on the very cool Veritgo label.

Stare at the center spindle and you will enter the twilight zone....

I have many many more digital albums from a friend (Nights In Manhattan double live is a wonder)...live at the Bottom Line.

oboogie likes this.
  19. lemonade kid

Valley Hi is a hard one to find but I did...NM. I have all the early ones on vinyl...NM.

20. oboogie

oboogie Forum Resident

One of my faves from “Some Days You Eat The Bear And Some Days The Bear Eats You”.

21. P(orF)

P(orF) Forum Resident

Always enjoyed him. I saw him open for America in the early 70s. He wandered onstage and said “I was just in the bathroom and someone had written on the wall ‘My mother made me a homosexual.’ And just below it, someone else had written ‘If I buy the material, will she make me one, too?’”

lemonade kid and oboogie like this.
  22. SquaRoots

SquaRoots The North Star Grassman

One of my "later period" IM favourites :

lemonade kid and oboogie like this.
  23. lemonade kid

I played "Pure and Crooked" yesterday for the hundredth time at least...I think it is as perfect as an Iain Matthews album gets. With a few covers as only Iain can do, but mostly originals. All amazing.

My favourite Matthews work and it is the moment when Ian decided to be Iain
    -in the liner notes:

"You will notice I have returned the spelling of my name back to it's original Gaelic form (Iain) meaning John. The pronunciation remains the same (ee-en)."

"Bridge Of Cherokee" is all time favourite Matthews composition

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    rd1 and oboogie like this.
  24. lemonade kid

Iain's solo album catalog is remarkable and extensive. So under appreciated, but he is our best kept secret!

• Matthews' Southern Comfort (see below)
    • If You Saw Thro' My Eyes (1971) UK and US Vertigo
    • Tigers Will Survive (1972) UK and US Vertigo
    • Valley Hi (1973) UK and US Elektra
    • Journeys from Gospel Oak (1974) UK Mooncrest
    • Some Days You Eat the Bear...Some Days the Bear Eats You (1974) UK and US Elektra
    • Go For Broke (1976) UK CBS / US Columbia
    • Hit And Run (1977) UK CBS / US Columbia
    • Stealin' Home (1978) UK Rockburgh / US Mushroom
    • Siamese Friends (1979) UK Rockburgh / US Mushroom
    • Discreet Repeat (1979) Rockburgh
    • Spot Of Interference (1980) UK Rockburgh / US RSO
    • Shook (1984) Polydor
    • Walking A Changing Line (1988) Windham Hill
    • Nights In Manhattan (1988) Taxim Records (live at The Bottom Line in New York, May 1988)
    • Pure And Crooked (1990) Gold Castle
    • Live Alone: Notebook Series No.2 (1991) Perfect Pitch
    • Orphans & Outcasts Volume I 1969-1979 (1991) Dirty Linen
    • Skeleton Keys (1992) Europe Line Records / US Mesa Bluemoon Recordings (different artwork)
    • Intimate Wash: Notebook Series No.3 (1993) Perfect Pitch
    • Orphans & Outcasts Volume II 1981-1989 (1993) Dirty Linen
    • The Soul Of Many Places (1993) Elektra (compilation album)
    • The Dark Ride (1994) Watermelon
    • Pure And Crooked (1994) Watermelon (5 bonus tracks)
    • Camouflage: Notebook Series No.4 (1995) Perfect Pitch
    • God Looked Down (1996) Watermelon
    • The Seattle Years 1978–1984 (1996) Varèse Sarabande (compilation album)
    • Nights In Manhattan (And Points West) (1997) DCC (4 bonus tracks)
    • Excerpts from Swine Lake (1998) Blue Rose / US Tangible (4 bonus demo tracks)
    • Orphans & Outcasts Volume 3 (1999) Perfect Pitch
    • A Tiniest Wham / A Live Wham 2CD (2000) Blue Rose and Perfect Pitch (different artwork) (CD2 Iain Matthews & The Swinelakers live in Nurnburg, September 1998)
    • If You Saw Thro' My Eyes (remaster) (2003) MK2 Records
    • Zumbach's Coat (2004) MK2 Records / Perfect Pitch
    • Zumbach’s Coat CD + DVD (2004) Blue Rose / Perfect Pitch (DVD features 6 songs live by Iain and Ad Vanderveen)
    • Sparkler 2CD (2005) Blue Rose (CD1 Best Of The Texas Recordings 1989-2004; CD2 If You Saw Thro’ My Eyes Live)
    • If You Saw Thro’ My Eyes Live (2006) Vinyl Japan / ItsAboutMusic
    • Osolomeo DVD + CD (2006) Inbetweens Records (DVD is A Night In Colorado solo concert from October 1993; CD is Iain and Andy Roberts at the Brosella Festival July 1992)
    • Journeys From Gospel Oak (Expanded Edition) (2006) Castle Music (includes 5 songs rerecorded in 2006 as bonus tracks)
    • Go For Broke (2007) Vinyl Japan (limited edition Japanese CD of Go For Broke + 6 live bonus tracks recorded in Denver June 1976)
    • Hit And Run (2007) Vinyl Japan (limited edition Japanese CD of Hit And Run + 7 live bonus tracks recorded at rehearsals in Los Angeles)
    • Stealin’ Home (2007) Vinyl Japan (limited edition Japanese CD of Stealin’ Home + 9 live bonus tracks recorded at Texas A&M University in November 1978)
    • Contact (2007) Blue Rose, CD + DVD (with Richard Kennedy and Mike Roelofs, live in Heilbronn, Germany, December 2004)
    • Rhino Hi-Five: Ian Matthews (2007) Rhino / Elektra/ Apple Music (5-track digital EP)
    • Collected (2011) Universal (57-track 3CD career retrospective, all tracks chosen personally by Iain)
    • If You Saw Thro’ My Eyes (remaster) (2012) Esoteric / Cherry Red
    • Tigers Will Survive (2012) Esoteric / Cherry Red (original album remaster + bonus track)
    • The Art Of Obscurity (2013) MK2 Records / Omnivore Music / Fledg'ling[12]
    • Stealin’ Home (2014) Omnivore (original album remaster + 9 live bonus tracks recorded at Texas A&M University in November 1978)
    • Live At Rockpalast – Hamburg 1983 (2017) MIG (DVD + 2CD: CD1 is the audio version of the DVD; CD2 contains the studio versions of all the songs)
    • Walking A Changing Line 2CD (2017) MIG (original album remaster + CD2 of outtakes) edition of his "Thro’ My Eyes" biography)
    • A Baker’s Dozen (2017) MK2 Records
    • Thro’ My Eyes (2018) Route (2CD compilation released as part of the Deluxe

25. lemonade kid