Integrating Music into Home Theater Room

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Paratus, Oct 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paratus

Paratus Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,

My current set up is more in-line with HT than music. Trying to integrate better set-up for Music. Current set up is Definitive Technologies BP-8069ST as front L & R with Def Tech CS-9080 as center ch, 4x Def Tech pro monitor 800 surround speakers, and 4x JBL Control 67 P/T pendant Atmos speakers (vaulted ceiling so had to hang pendants). AVR is Marantz SR-6013 with Emotiva XPA-3 powering front stage. I have a Rega Planar 6 going through a Sim Audio L115 v2 pre amp connected to AVR and I stream Amazon HD music across HEOS on the AVR and both formats sound great, but wondering if I can do better.

Considering buying a Parasound Zpre3 preamplifier and connecting the Rega to that and buying a Node2i streamer and a Mytek Liberty external DAC (decodes MQA) and attaching it to the Parasound and then subscribing to Tidal. The Parasound has HT bypass feature, so I can use the same speakers for it or the Marantz without issue. Am I on the right track here? Worth the upgrade or not? Would different speakers help significantly? Significantly being key...I know everyone has their favorite, but are there any that are clearly better? The Def Techs are very nice, but they are the only high-quality speakers I've ever bought, so just not sure.

Thanks for any input you may have.

Regards,
    Steve

2. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

This is just what I'd do if I had that nice AVR and very nice speakers...

Add a subwoofer that's solid down to 20 Hz, and bass manage your F L/R and at 60 Hz, centre at 40 Hz (it has its own powered "sub," for those who are wondering why lower than the L/R) and surrounds at 100 Hz (as per Def Tech's recommendation.) That, to me, would provide the single largest improvement in sound, for movies and music (stereo and multichannel.)

I'll let others comment on your specific upgrade musings as I bet adding a sub is not going to be everyone's first choice.

Jeff

SandAndGlass and Paratus like this.
  3. Paratus

Thanks Jeff! I had considered this then threw out the idea given the Def Techs have built-in powered subs, but after seeing your post and doing a little research I'm rethinking once again. It looks like the RSL speedwoofer 10S more than holds its own against much more expensive options, so leaning towards that.

4. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Apologies. When I Googled your gear I used what you typed and it turns out the Definitive Technologies BP-8069ST does not appear to exist. I went and looked at something else that led me to conclude that the bass response dropped off below 40 Hz. But it looks like the Definitive Technologies BP-8060ST exists, and it does have the integral powered bass section as well.

Jeff

5. Paratus

Yes, my apologies, that was a typo. They are in fact BP-8060ST towers as you stated. I'm still considering the separate sub only because I've read Def Tech over states their specs a tad, which I guess is pretty common in this hobby.

6. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Without changing the whole system, since you are using the HT portion it seems, I would just keep what you've got. If you want a really nice preamp, it isn't in the Z product line.
    -Bill

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. Paratus

Thanks for the reply Bill! My thought with the Zpre3 was it was a solid brand in Parasound, but without the extras I didn't need such as an integrated amp, DAC, or phono preamp since I have those covered elsewhere in the set-up, but that the other circuitry in the processor would improve the sound over the AVR at a reasonable price. I'm interpreting your reply as this would not offer much improvement, if any at all.

8. mds

mds Forum Resident

Using a home theater by-pass is the key element, in my opinion, for improving the sound when listening to music.

Paratus likes this.
  9. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Agreed with @mds. I went the other way - added HT to my 2-channel room. I use a McCormack line stage with HT Bypass. I have two subs in the room - one is integrated for music only, the other is for HT only. It all just works, and I love that I can go from analog to CD to files to a surround sound Blu-Ray concert, with basically just the remote control.

I listen to music about 80% of the time, HT is 10%, and gaming is 10%. It works out well.

Paratus likes this.
  10. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I agree with Jeff. I had a couple of systems in my former audio room. You can view them after my equipment profile. I use an original Emotiva XPA-2 and the mono version of it for my center channel.

I would keep your gear as you have it. It is a very nice system and will serve you well for both stereo and HT. I do this with my SS system. You will end up spending a lot if money to step things up from this point.

There is nothing wrong with adding a sub that you can use both for HT and Stereo. My main sub, that I use for both is a passive horn loaded commercial sub, powered by a 1,600 Watt Crown Amplifier. I also use this sub with my tube system.

Keep your amps and speakers, add a strong but musical sub.

Paratus likes this.
  11. Liquid77

Liquid77 Forum Resident

I also have a full Def Tech Atmos home theater with a Marantz SR7012 AVR, but went a different route for music. I found a mint Sansui AU-9900 Integrated amp and use that with my Pioneer PL-50L turntable. I bought a A-B switcher to go back and forth between music and home theatre. The vintage Sansui is a noticeable improvement over the Marantz for music.

Paratus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.