DCC Archive Is there a DTS add on for Dolby Digital receiver??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RetroSmith, Oct 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967) Thread Starter

Ok, I KNOW this is a stupid question. But, thats never stopped Mikey before!!

My 5.1 reciever is Dolby Digital. It does not have DTS output. Is there an inexpensive adapter that I can buy to hook between the DVD player and the receiver that will provide DTS output? I *think* that I saw this exact thing a year ago in a Hi Fi magazine, but I cant remember for sure.

Anybody know?

thanks,

Mikey

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Sorry Mickey. DTS and Dolby Digital are two seperate animals. An add-on box is highly unlikely. You would have to:

1. At LEAST have an optical CD player or a DTS DVD player (some DVD players do not like homegrown DTS Cds, but they work pissa in optical cd players)

2. Have something that can receive 6 channels, and pass them through. Dolby Digital? You would be losing a lot of sonic information if you took a DTS and threw it to DD. Period. Now, why would you want to take DTS and give it to a DD converter stage? Boy, that's sonic murder.

3. Even with DD you need to have at least 4 seperate speakers. If you get this far, you'll understand why a DTS converter box would be silly, if you catch my drift.

You have to have a DTS receiver (or preamp) AND either an optical CD player or a DVD player with DTS capabilities, hooked optically or coaxially (single RCA AC-3), along with the reciever or preamp that supports 4-6 channel (most today's equipment, even the mid-fi stuff support this). :rolleyes:

(Clue: Easiest/cheapest way of achieving DTS is through a CD player that has opitcal out, sent to a Preamp or Reciever with DTS *and* optical in(s).)

If you try and spit-and-glue ideas (ie: Rat Shack splitter ideas, low-ball recievers, DVD players *without* the DTS symbol), you get white noise. It's not very expensive, but one needs to pay attention to these very simple details or it's not gonna work.

DTS does not accept "maybe", in general. One is either with it, or without. Sorry. :(

[ October 11, 2001: Message edited by: Sckott ]

3. Unknown

Unknown Guest

So you have a receiver that can decode Dolby Digital but not DTS, eh? MSB makes a DTS upgrade that can add DTS decoding capability to certain receivers. It costs $595. You can go to www.msbtech.com for more info. Of course, for $595, you could probably buy a new receiver that can decode Dolby Digital and DTS.

4. Sckott

Yeah, big time. It might even come with it's own coffee maker button!
    :D

[ October 11, 2001: Message edited by: Sckott ]

5. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967) Thread Starter

Well, thanks guys. I didnt think so, but it was worth a shot. I know that I can get a Kenwood 5.1 Dolby Digital and DTS receiver for 299$ So I guess thats it.

thanks!!
    Anybody wanna buy a nice Kenwood Dolby Digital Reciever ?

6. Sckott

ebAY the sucker. Concider it an upgrade after all is said and done!

7. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

Technics makes a unit that will decode DTS from a coax or optical and provide the 5.1 analog outputs. SH-AC500D. Here's one on ebay:

technics sh-ac500d

(I just looked at this again - this guy says its a 300 not a 500. Which means it only does Dolby Digital. So if you want to find one, make sure its a 500 for the DTS)

Of course you need 5.1 analog inputs on your reciever. Personally I'd recommend investing in a new reciever that also has Dolby Pro Logic II, which is a much better surround than the old Pro Logic. It'll give a "mock" 5.1 output from stereo. I don't have one myself but I've seen some favorable reviews.

Also interesting is that DPII was devoloped by Jim Fosgate who helped create various quad decoders from the 70's.

[ October 12, 2001: Message edited by: jkerr ]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.