Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Id love to find a great sounding copy of it on cd or lp.

Lonson likes this.
  2. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Have not had the opportunity to see him live, but I highly recommend New York Child.

[​IMG]

Also loved his work with Myra Melford.

(That is a fantastic album)

jay.dee, Marzz, rockinlazys and 3 others like this.
  3. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

Good to hear, it's definitely on my wish list.

Lonson likes this.
  4. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Awesome, glad that you found out. Yes, Chaloff was a great player. I have that album in the Mosaic set.

Sabu and mpayan like this.
  5. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I have a feeling Id like all of his playing. I suppose the Mosaic set is long oop?

6. Lonson

Yes, long out of print I'm afraid. You can find copies of Blue Serge (in one case paired with another LP) on cd via amazon.

He was a very interesting bebop player!

mpayan likes this.
  7. Lonson

Woke up wondering where my dog was as she wasn't upstairs with us. Turns out she is asleep on the couch downstairs. She's new to us and was a rescue, she still surprises me at times.

She likes music. I might be mistaken but she seems to really like Lee Wiley and Tom Jobim.

8. Muggles

Muggles Forum Resident

I always knew where my dachshund was at night - in our bed burrowed under the blankets..

dennis the menace and Lonson like this.
  9. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I've been wondering what Schott has been up to, his guitar skills impressed me as much as Bernard's, who is also fantastic, and nearly as much as Hunter's (who is hard to beat with his unique approach). I've seen the other guys several times since, and have kept up with them to various degrees (Bernard and Hunter are both really nice guys as well - not casting aspersion on the other two, just haven't met them).

10. Leeston

Leeston Forum Resident

Great thread, thank you OP for starting, Have just started on Jazz journey and this thread will be a daily read.

Marzz and Lonson like this.
  11. I think one of those European re-issue labels resurrected it last year. Can't recall who. I've seen a few Japanese re-issues floating around Tokyo for ¥1000 or so. Haven't played it for a long time. I'll be honest, I wasn't that knocked out by it when I first heard it back in the late 80's. It was touted by a jazz afficionado friend as a 'must have' but I always found Gil Melle and Pepper Adams more appealing. Maybe it's time to go listen again. Didn't his mum give Bill Evans piano lessons?

Lonson likes this.
  12. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I sometimes wonder if the mega Jazz, and Classical Corner threads aren't really an endless dead end. They certainly discourage me jumping in (because they are massive), and although I know I can use the Forum Search tool to possibly find comment and discussion of an artist or album that might interest me, I rarely do. Whereas I can look at a single album or artist thread without worrying that most of it may be extraneous to my interest, and the gems that feature discussion instead of just a picture will stand out.

NorthNY Mark, johnaltman and Lonson like this.
  13. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Get the standard Capitol CD of that title, it sounds better than the Mosaic set.

NorCal and Lonson like this.
  14. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

Thanks for starting this thread! I think it will be helpful, as well as enjoyable, for quite a few members here, including relative jazz 'newbies' like myself. It would be great to have an all-encompassing jazz thread where people would share their opinions and recommendations on various releases, masterings, etc., and, well, discuss the music itself. I'll sure be dropping in once in a while to drink from the fountain of jazz knowledge and contribute, if I can.

For myself I can say that I like jazz but I don't live it to the fullest, meaning that I'm familiar with quite a few big names and lesser known musicians but I don't seem to have the passion, or time, or means, to take it a step a further and go really deep with it. Jazz is a whole 'nother world, and it is a vast one, to be sure, so I guess it may be a bit intimidating for anyone just starting out on their jazz 'journey'. I think a good recipe here would be to take it as it comes and not rush it, instead of trying to go full throttle and embrace the unembraceable right from the get-go. Being that I'm not first and foremost a jazz aficionado, I've chosen that path for myself, and I can say it works for me.

Marzz, johnaltman, Crispy Rob and 3 others like this.
  15. crispi

There are advantages to that kind of thread, though: you are much more likely to discover things, whereas individual threads you visit most probably only deal with albums you already know.

16. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

There's also another Chaloff album called Boston Blow-up! on Capitol that has great music.

ausgraeme, VinylPhool, Marzz and 2 others like this.
  17. crispi

Hi guys,

I'd like to discover more 1970s jazz. Joe Henderson's Power to the People is right up my alley — I know it's from 1969, but many recordings from that year were ahead of their time (or maybe time itself was ahead of its time during those times). I also like some of McCoy Tyner's work in the 1970s, especially Atlantis.

So I'm looking for more recommendations with that sound: already using electric instruments, but a bit more rooted in tradition than what Miles was doing. Perhaps much of it is on Milestone Records?

rxcory and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  18. Lonson

Right, that's where Fiona usually is. . . but last night was different for a while. She spent the rest of the night burrowed down under the covers.

19. Lonson

FR, it can really be a daunting task. I think you're right to not rush it, just move along at your own pace. What worked for me was following players I liked. For instance I came in via Miles Davis' "New Directions in Music" . . . Filles De Kilamanjaro, then Bitches Brew and In a Silent Way and Miles Davis at Fillmore. I followed players with Miles that I liked which led me to Return to Forever, Tony Williams Lifetime, Headhunters, and then I followed Miles back in the catalog and decided to try any album that Wynton Kelly or Paul Chambers were on. . . . That led me to the wonderful worlds of Riverside, Blue Note, Prestige. . . and later I read of Miles' deep respect for Ellington and Armstrong, and his work with Charlie Parker, and I started studying those artists. So. . . eventually I had found a honeycomb of jazz to digest.

20. Lonson

I'd like to recommend, if you haven't explored them, the later Capitol and Fantasy recordings of Cannonball Adderley. Cannonball was both courting popular success (I think) and exploring musically, and the combination of drives led to some very interesting albums. I think you may like many of these. Cannon kept playing amazing solos throughout imo.

johnaltman, Crispy Rob and crispi like this.
  21. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Serge Chaloff was a wonderful player. He was one of the "Four Brothers" in the Woody Herman band alongside Zoot Sims and Stan Getz. Unfortunately he died very young under awful circumstances.

22. Lonson

Felt like some Pee Wee to start the day. Going to be away from home most of the day as I'm taking supplies to Dad and taking him out to lunch. Luckily I'll have some great cds to listen to in the car!

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass and Marzz like this.
  23. Lonson

Following up on that, I finally have a great car with a good stereo system. Sure makes longer rides interesting! I literally spent the 'eighties, 'nineties and the first half of this century for the most part without cars (rode a motorcycle year round in Central Texas) or in an old car with no or a horrid stereo system. So my own music in a car is pretty new to me. Really enjoying bossa nova and hard bop lately in the car.

Millington likes this.
  24. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

Great idea for a new thread. One of the many jazz branches that I have followed started with Blakey and the Jazz Messengers. In addition to collecting Blakey, the family tree.... Shorter , Hubbard, Dorham, Morgan,etc. I like the term "honeycomb " that was used earlier in this thread.
    That is an apt description of the discovery process for Jazz.

25. Lonson

Welcome Rufus T. Yes, Blakey was another rabbit hole I fell down exploring jazz! Thought I am less enamored of his playing now than when I first discovered jazz, he was a great player and band leader and I found Bobby Timmons from his tenure with the Jazz Messengers.