Looks like HMV in the UK may survive after all...

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Sound of the Suburbs, Feb 3, 2019.

1. jamo spingal

jamo spingal Forum Resident

And I bought the Roy Haynes Vital Vinyl.

2. shanebrown

shanebrown Forum Resident

I haven't tried the DOL vinyl, but have to say their Timeless Classic Albums 5CD sets are generally nice cheap ways of getting a bunch of stuff of people you want to explore a bit, and in decent sound. Oddly, despite these sets clearly being popular the major labels seemed to have stopped issuing new titles in their Original album Classics/Series sets. I have never seen anything wrong with the public domain law, and certainly within jazz music it has resulted in all kinds of albums and concerts being reissued (or issued for the first time) that otherwise would be out of print in this country (and even worldwide). Obviously, it's a minefield finding out what labels have good sound and which do not, but there is plenty to praise that law for. I do wish that HMV would get on top of their jazz catalogue a bit, though. There's no point in stocking ten Chet Baker albums if eight of them are the same recordings issued under a different album title. If they are going to widen their stock, then they need to be on top of it a little bit and get someone who knows what they're doing to order them.

3. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

Couldn't find the original story I read this morning but this one has most of the details.

New Concept store to be opened in Birmingham "It is understood that the HMV concept store, dubbed The Vault, will offer customers the opportunity to see and test HMV’s products in an interactive, experience-led space."

HMV presses play on giant concept store in Birmingham

4. shanebrown

Asking in HMV today, the 11CD box of Elvis live in 1969 is selling there for £79.99 - some £10 cheaper than Amazon.

5. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Hmv. Telford had a refit ,, proper vinyl bins front and centre ..looked great ...

Sound of the Suburbs likes this.
  6. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I wonder how much money they are still losing. £27 run of the mill albums with known indifferent mastering is not the way forward. People just check the online price on their phones and walk out. I can't believe there is much profit if they are sticking to the same model even if they have dumped their least profitable stores. I get the impression they are relying on the gimmicks like exclusive coloured editions of reissues that already are out there.

Man at C&A likes this.
  7. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

Dunno, be interesting if they disclose some sales figures soon.

The Fopp in central Edinburgh seems to do very well (though no doubt high rent and rates), as it’s in Prime tourist territory.

I was in last week and a tourist was buying a whole bunch of quite expensive fully priced vinyl - £25 for a Coldplay album, yikes! There were constant streams of people at the tills, always seems busy when I’m in.

8. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I may not be the target audience, but the more they go down the vinyl route, the less I will be using them.

If I want stacks and crates of vinyl clogging up floorspace and being out of reach, I have plenty of 2nd hand shops for that.

EG.

9. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

As someone who is disabled it may be worth trying to get to speak with the store manager about that or if you have a disability access group in your district it perhaps could be raised with them. It's silly as we have money we're happy to spend IF we can get in and around the store.

Eric_Generic, Dave S and Man at C&A like this.
  10. shanebrown

As others have pointed out, this is not what they are doing - this is the exception and not the rule.

11. shanebrown

HMV have a new offer starting this last weekend, with all BFI blu rays buy one get one free. They seem to be slowly working through the various labels that they are highlighting in collector's corner in their shops. They've already done BOGOF for Arrow, Arrow Academy, the HMV premium range, and now BFI. Their sale DVD and blu ray racks have also been replenished over the last week or so too, and include some substantial savings.

12. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Popped into the Romford, Essex HMV today and the vinyl racks they have in there now was insane! Speaking to an assistant he said ' business is booming and we cannot get enough vinyl in ( the store did look busy) personally walked out with ' Wheel of fire'.:laughup:

13. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Thanks for the heads-up, might find some good Blu-Ray deals on my next visit then.

EG.

14. shanebrown

What I found odd in my local shop was how many DVDs they are selling. I said to the manager that I assumed they would be fading dvds out in the next year or so, but was told they sold a lot - especially big boxes like Poirot and Midsommer Murders! Seems totally nuts to me considering they're on TV every day!

Eric_Generic likes this.
  15. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I much prefer to watch things on DVD. I just bought the X-Files DVD set for between £1-2 a series, even though I could stream it all on Amazon Prime if I wanted to. Some people, myself included I guess, prefer not to be tied to TV schedules and internet connections. There's enough documentaries, sport and news stuff for me to keep up with that way. There's something quite nice about having a boxset and working through it.

EG.

Sound of the Suburbs likes this.
  16. wallpaperman

17. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

Opens this Friday, 11 October
    www.hmv.com/music/hmv-vault-opening-date-revealed

hmv Vault is due to open for the first time on Friday and will be home to approximately 80,000 CDs, 25,000 vinyl albums, 40,000 DVDs and 20,000 Blu-ray discs, as well as offering a massive range of merchandise and over 7,000 books. The new store will also offer every 4K UHD title currently available in the UK.

18. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

But....CDs are dead, we are told? ;)

EG.

johnnybrum likes this.
  19. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Excellent ..might have to take a train into Brum next week

DML71 and johnnybrum like this.
  20. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

Dying but not dead yet...

Special editions/box sets might slow the decline but no denying the trend is in the wrong direction.

eddiel likes this.
  21. wallpaperman

If only we could get new release CD’s issued in 6 different splatter designs in a very limited print run, plus 5 different colours of CD, also limited but not quite so much.

And have a dedicated day (or three) each year where middle aged men* queue up all night with fistfuls of money to get even more limited edition re-issue CD’s that are only limited for one reason, to create higher prices.

There, CD market sorted.

* a generalisation, no offence intended to other people who queue up all night.

22. shanebrown

Purchases at HMV this weekend:

Arrow blurays of The Big Clock & Crime and Punishment. £12 for the two.
    Peeping Tom bluray. £8
    Madagascar Complete Collection on DVD. £4.

Total cost at HMV: £24.
    Total cost on Amazon would be: £41.

23. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

HMV on Land's Lane, Leeds, has removed the closing down signs and restocked and they've also opened another store in town.

Curious.

24. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

HMV came up trumps with a couple of expanded Moody Blues sets for me. 5 CD box set of In Search Of The Lost Chord down less than 50% from £45 and Days of Future Passed 3 CD set at £7.99. Much cheaper than Amazon. Bought a few other things recently that were competitive too.

25. G00dVibrations

G00dVibrations Forum Resident

I noticed in the one I went earlier that seemingly the entire Scott Walker discography on CD was down to 2.99 each. They sorta just unceremonily had a box in the corner with reduced stuff, with no real signs or anything.