Neil Gaiman's Sandman to be a Netflix Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Veltri, Jul 1, 2019.

1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I just watched Ep.1, and I'm on board!
    More importantly, wifey's on-board, too.......
    which means I can't watch anymore until we're both watching them!:shake:

Jeff Kent and Veltri like this.
  2. davidb1

davidb1 Forum Resident

I stayed up way too late watching the first 5 episodes. :edthumbs:

Veltri likes this.
  3. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

Not watched any yet.
    I saw a headline saying Gaiman advises viewers to watch the credits rather than auto-skipping to the next episode - is their any value in doing this?

4. skinnyev

skinnyev Forum Resident

I watched he’s the first 4 episodes, they are doing a pretty good job of keeping to the original story which is a pleasant surprise. They’ve changed some gender and ethnicity of a few characters, but it’s hardly a big deal. I was surprised how many small details from the Sandman and Hellblazer comics that they kept in. The Constantine character was more inline with the comics with the exception of being a woman. Anyway, this has not disappointed me at all. I’ll probably finish this fairly soon.

5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Watched episode 1. Very faithful with some very deliberate tweaks that Neil Gaiman is 100% on board with if this interview/breakdown is any indication. :)

Can't wait to watch the rest!

6. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪ Thread Starter

Up to episode 4 and loving this.

They got Dream's voice convincingly like I would imagine the black comic dialog bubbles would sound like. His look is also right on, sometimes so elongated he looks like a page out of the comic.
    The weaker CGI can be forgiven for me as it doesn't need to be ultra realistic.

The acting in all the roles is the best part and Matthew is pretty hilarious.

I'm glad they're all released at once, but 10 is like a tease.
    I'm actually concerned it may not catch on as much as it could as so far all the episodes have a mostly dark look that can turn people off.

A few good ones in a row coming up I see from the episode titles.

This more than meets my expectations. I already want to rewatch. And a reread after it's done to compare more closely as it's been over a decade. Some parts while watching surprised me like the first time, and in forgetting details I can enjoy this as presented.

7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Lot of pressure on them not to screw this one up. I almost wish they hadn't released that many out of the gate. I'd like to savor this a little more than my wife has the patience for.

"Let's watch the next one" is almost a mantra now.

Humbler and Veltri like this.
  8. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪ Thread Starter

The first one ended with a season preview so I skipped that. Missed the credits subsequently with the auto-play but will try to catch them next time.

9. I really don't like the swap for the character, Death. Her imagine is too iconic. There are posters, stickers, fridge magnets, all sorts of items with Death's image. She has a certain look.

It would be like giving Merv a pineapple head.

I watched Ep.1 and it was damn good.

PapaMuerte likes this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

11. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

Netflix has gone wrong for me. It shows the programs as running but no sound or picture. If I rewind, I get sound but no picture. Very frustrating.

12. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

I suspect that the writers may have deliberately switched the gender of the character because John Costantine currently appears on the Legend of Tomorrow television series. They may have wanted to avoid confusion, or there may be licensing or legal issues involved.

skinnyev likes this.
  13. SmallDarkCloud

The writers also, very wisely, discarded some parts of the early issues that tied too closely to the D.C. superheroes. Martian Manhunter made an appearance in an early issue. John Dee (the character played by David Thewlis) was a minor supervillain in the comic book series, reinvented by Gaiman.

Gaiman was still working out what he wanted Sandman to be in the earliest issues, and he eventually (mostly) cut ties with DC's superhero books as time went on. It makes sense that the show would mostly drop those parts or rework them.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
    coffeetime and skinnyev like this.
  14. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Watched most of the episodes but have a few more to go. Enjoyed it so far.

15. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Don't skip the credits for each episode as they were done by Sandman artist Dave McKean who was apparently dragged out of retirement by Gaiman.

16. errant_knight

errant_knight Full Time Dreamer

My girlfriend and I both loved episode one! So happy that Neil is so involved and so happy with the adaptation as this fun interview makes clear:

Episode 1353 - Neil Gaiman — WTF with Marc Maron Podcast

He talks about how the comic eventually reached an equal sized female audience as male and this was a major shift for comic book shops in the late 80s/early 90s! Some "sweaty shop owners" would approach him and thank him profusely for getting women into their shops, lol!

Going to try to savor this show as it is clearly top shelf so far.

17. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Didn't bother me much. Dream/Morpheus had a certain look, too, but the producers were not willing to invest that much of the production budget on hairspray.

18. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Just listened to the WTF Podcast interview with Neil and he said when they were casting they asked if a character HAD to be male and white. If the answer was no, they were able to audition twice as many people. He said Death had to be able to talk to Dream as his big sister with familiarity and with authority. That was key and they found it. Tom who plays Dream was one of the first 4 actors they auditioned. 1500 later he was still the best and he's a HUGE Sandman fan. A lot of the people involved are. That makes a difference.

That said, I loved the comic image of Death...:love:

19. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

I have read a scattering of late-in-series book collections, but many years ago---can comics fans tell me, is the story in ep 1 pretty directly or mostly from the comic, and if so in which book collection does that story appear?

I confess since it felt very much like pure PROLOGUE to a story and not actually "beginning of a story" I left off ep one not feeling sure I needed to go further, since all I learned about main character is he is willing to sullenly sit and say nothing for decades, not a protagonist I am intrigued by yet tbh and the Corinthian just felt like "generic serial killer smirker" type.) (I am seeing MOST comics fans love the show, which leads me to wonder if they are able to plug in a sense of character, world and theme that a mere watcher of ep one was not, at least this watcher.)

20. SmallDarkCloud

Possibly stating the obvious here (to some), but, in the comics, and it seems like the show as well, all seven of the Endless siblings have no fixed look. They appear however someone sees them, which is why Morpheus appears to be an African man to Mala, when he visits hell. There is an issue of the comics where Morpheus visits a cat and, yep, looks like a cat.

The look they usually have (Dream as a member of The Cure, Death as a pale-skinned goth, etc.), is just the appearance that the artists on the Sandman comics usually gave them for consistency (unless the story called for a different appearance). You can joke that they look that way because many Sandman readers were goths and/or really into The Cure. Debating the "right" look for these characters is kind of a dead end.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
    Stormrider77 likes this.
  21. SmallDarkCloud

The series covers the first two collected trade-paperbacks, Preludes and Nocturnes and The Doll's House, though a few minor changes were made (mostly to drop references to DC Comics' super-hero characters, which would have probably been too distracting to most viewers not familiar with the comics). The first episode is basically the first issue of the series. Morpheus does become the major protagonist after the first episode (and issue).

The first (either one) works basically as a set-up for the rest of series. In the first issue of the comic, there's more of an intriguing mystery as to who this person is and why Roderick Burgess wants him imprisoned, which I felt was a little lost in the television adaptation. On the other hand, when the comic was published, no one did know who he was, as Morpheus was a brand new character.

Brian Doherty likes this.
  22. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

23. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I hope we get far enough in the series that we get to see Delirium, she was always one of my favorites.

This may be helpful for those trying to keep track of the characters and or storylines: Sandman Wiki

SmallDarkCloud likes this.
  24. skinnyev

skinnyev Forum Resident

I finished this last night, the second story line seemed to tread into teen drama a bit too much for my liking, but the horror themes all remained. The Doll’s House storyline was a lot darker in the comics and they changed a few things, but I kind of get why they did. They have also laid the foundation for future storylines, so I’m assuming that Seasons of Mist and A Game of You will be the next season if it gets renewed. I wonder how they will approach the single issues.

Overall, I think they did a good job, acting was a bit stiff and the changes that they made seemed to make sense to advance the plot. But, I really enjoyed it.

Veltri likes this.
  25. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Gaiman seems really happy with it, that's good enough for me. I saw behind the scenes video of him walking onto the undercroft set from episode one and he says it's like walking into his imagination.