Neil Young & Bob Dylan in Hyde Park 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by arthurprecarious, Nov 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3coloursbeige

3coloursbeige Forum Resident

Hyde Park is wonderfully convenient for me, but if they have any decent support acts its weaknesses as a venue become horribly exposed. I was at the Black Sabbath day a few years back - which had a stellar undercard - and the queues, for everything, were ridiculous. Wouldn't mind seeing Neil again, would only be seeing Dylan to tick the box...and maybe witness a car-wreck 'performance'...however, I am skint at the moment, so I'll just have to wait...

2. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Hyde Park is a truly awful place to see a gig unfortunately so count me out. Arena show would have definitely been in.

bobcat and FourWalledWorld like this.
  3. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

Just bought a ticket.

Beaneydave and Sammy Waslow like this.
  4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

You know what to expect in this venue, with intimate performers, oversized audience and questionable sound quality?

bobcat likes this.
  5. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

For "All Along The Watchtower" maybe?

theMess and Zeki like this.
  6. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

A show at Hyde Park can be a fun day out, but it has to be approached with the casual attitude of not taking the music too seriously. It's a day out with the music being a part of that. Anything beyond that is a bonus. If you just want to hear the music without distraction, then the odds are you will be frustrated by Hyde Park. Waiting first to see if any arena or concert hall dates arise may be a good decision.

If no other dates emerge then of course it'll be very sensible to go to this gig: no one is getting any younger.

FourWalledWorld likes this.
  7. FangfossFlyer

FangfossFlyer Forum Resident

Yep, but still going.

autumn daze likes this.
  8. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Or, if you're already travelling from another part of the UK anyway, look at going to see the tour abroad in Europe. Especially when it's an outdoor show and you'll have much better odds of good weather.

These super big parks/fields hold little appeal for me personally.

RoyalPineapple likes this.
  9. Squiggsy68

Squiggsy68 Forum Resident

As regards Hyde Park as a venue - I've been to a few things there over the years, but last year for The Cure was the best organised that I've known it. Queues for drinks weren't ever more than 2 or 3 minutes (and it was a HOT day), food around the same.

I agree entirely that it may not suit Bob all that well (the time I enjoyed seeing him most was indoors at the Royal Albert Hall in 2015) but we'll see - what would be ideal is if there's a few indoor dates around that time so I can take in one of those as well.

JumpinJimF likes this.
  10. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I’m not sure who I will put my money on. They have both had medical conditions in the last two decades but continue to tour incessantly, so they must be in decent shape. Will they be able to last the full 12 rounds though? This is definitely a toss-up.
    Now that Bob got that Alicia Keys tattoo that covers his back, I really want to see him topless!

:—)

11. adad

adad Forum Resident

I saw Bob and Neil share the same stage in the late 80's. Neil tried his best to motivate Bob. Neil was mostly ignored. Still was cool. Neil was great. So was GE Smith.

A couple days after this show.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  12. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

You are right about The Cure at Hyde Park and not only that, with GA you could get right to the front. I haven't seen the map so I might be wrong but I suspect with Bob and Neil the front part will be VIP standing at exorbitant prices (see also Rolling Stones...)

13. 3coloursbeige

I saw The Stones in Hyde Park a few years back with a general access ticket and got down to the front. The VIP area was just one half of the front - Mick seemed to spend much more time performing to us GAs than the VIP lot. For Sabbath the VIP area was a much smaller section of the front - I imagine it would be something similar for NY/Dylan...

I think with Hyde Park if the weather is nice it can be great. There's also the option of getting a few tins and sitting outside the boundary...you'll probably get the gist of the concert...

JumpinJimF likes this.
  14. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Dylan 'events' always seem disappointing, from the Isle of Wight festival (wake up Bob. Bob? Bob!) to the 30th anniversary concert (not the guests, him), to the many times he's toured with folks like Knopler and Van Morrison and there was little if any interaction. My guess is Neil might make some noise behind him on a few songs, no way Bob is gonna back up Neil, no way there going to actually rehearse anything (as that would offend the muse or something) so any songs they might play will be rudimentary at best, and it'll all be forgotten the next day.

15. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

Unfortunately this time it looks like the stage is going to be "protected" from GA by the honourable gentry in the Gold (£167) and Diamond (£335) Circles

(from Get Tickets! for Barclaycard Presents British Summer Time Hyde Park Bob Dylan and Neil Young @ Hyde Park, London on Fri Jul 12 2019 - 2:00pm link posted above)

[​IMG]

16. JudasPriest

JudasPriest Forum Resident

Has anyone been in the Diamond section previously? I'm assuming it's basically a pit area in front if the stage - wondering what the apprix capacity is and is it comfortable?

17. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Having seen Dylan 8 or 9 times over the decades, I’d much rather take my chances that he will have a good night in a small theatre than in an outdoor festival setting.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  18. Ricky Lampoon

Ricky Lampoon Forum Resident

Saw Promise of the Real in Hyde Park last summer as one of Eric Clapton’s support acts and to be honest I was totally underwhelmed and bored by them.
    I’m a big Neil Young fan, seen him maybe 7 or 8 times, but never with POTR.
    Santana were the best band on the Eric Clapton day, probably because their energy came across best in a big open field.
    Bob Sinatra will be lost.

19. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

A mere 30 years ago. As for the NE tour I felt it got better a few years later :)

Tim

20. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

This has all the earmarks of a Summer amphitheater tour in the US.

Daryl M likes this.
  21. 3coloursbeige

JumpinJimF likes this.
  22. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

Neil has generally been such a solo musical force (even when playing with a band) that it's a bit underwhelming to hear him play in a busy-sounding band where he is essentially "just another guitar player". That impression is magnified by the sense of a band that doesn't quite fit together; the other two guitar players aren't a particularly good match for his sound, in my opinion, whatever their strengths individually.

So their versions of the more grungy or instrumental-based songs can be "neither here nor there", a lot of noodling about and none of the chemistry of Crazy Horse. As Ralph Molina said: "he skates with these guys...it's easier for him....he doesn't get cosmic".

That said, I think POTR do still have their moments, often on the delicate acoustic or "folk rock" songs (or bluesy numbers) that play more to the band's collective strengths.

And of course, those who get another chance to see him solo or with Crazy Horse should jump at the chance.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  23. julotto

julotto Forum Resident

I saw the two of them sharing a stage back in 1996 in Hamburg/Germany. Opening act was Dave Matthews (still unknown then). Bob came next, then Neil Young with Crazy Horse. They did not perform together.
    [​IMG]

autumn daze likes this.
  24. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

Yes, it’s a pit area at the front of the stage, with easy access to food and bar areas. I did Diamond this year for Paul Simon and I was very happy with the set-up. It was very comfortable with plenty of space to move around. The crowd was fine as well.

I bought Diamond again this time for Dylan/Young.

The only drawback may be that the stage is a bit high so you will probably need to stand a little further back to get a proper view of Bob. He tends to position himself towards the back of the stage.

Beaneydave likes this.
  25. Eyal

Eyal Active Member

Is that Dylan-Young's eighties concert recorded somewhere ? seems like good recording here at the video.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.